Jump to content

My Pro1 died?


Recommended Posts

So yesterday evening it worked. Now in the morning I tried turning it on and it didn't. Connecting it to the usb cable to load, didn't change a thing. The led is not turning it on either. I tried pressing the volume down + power button nothing. I tried connecting it to my pc and it didn't worked. I didn't dropped it.

Does anyone has another idea?

  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, adidas88 said:

So yesterday evening it worked. Now in the morning I tried turning it on and it didn't. Connecting it to the usb cable to load, didn't change a thing. The led is not turning it on either. I tried pressing the volume down + power button nothing. I tried connecting it to my pc and it didn't worked. I didn't dropped it.

Does anyone has another idea?

I had the same Problem, reach out to the support. It seems to be the USB-Board or the Battery are possible sources for that Problem.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I already wrote the support. I just think that it will take ages as they are now occupied with the pro1x but yeah thanks. And I am afraid that it will take very long until I get it back.

How did it worked out for you? Did you got it replaced?

Ohh i now saw your repair journey thread. I will read it and hope for the best.

Edited by adidas88
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is the usb-board that is damaged, it might work as a temporary measure to hold the plug at a certain angle. Try and see if you can get the LED to light up.
This way you might be able to charge it enough, so you can get any needed data out.

(Oh. And if you have not already tried, try a different cable and/or charger, you could be lucky that it is merely a broken cable)

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, adidas88 said:

Yeah I already wrote the support. I just think that it will take ages as they are now occupied with the pro1x but yeah thanks. And I am afraid that it will take very long until I get it back.

How did it worked out for you? Did you got it replaced?

Ohh i now saw your repair journey thread. I will read it and hope for the best.

You could ask them to send you an USB-Board if you are willing to replace it yourself. This might be faster than to wait for official support. It worked for me but was a few months ago.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, adidas88 said:

Yeah I already wrote the support. I just think that it will take ages as they are now occupied with the pro1x

When I sent my Pro1 in for repair, it took them only one month to get it back to me and this was last January when they were scrambling because they had lost their 835 SOC for the Pro1x.  I know others' experience has been different, but this was mine. Even though I now have a long wait for a replacement screen (supplied under warranty) —I think they won't have the screens until they are ready to manufacture (and therefore have all the parts), hopefully January—I have had nothing but great experiences with their CS/Tech support.  YMMV, but that's my experience.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I  don't think the issue is about the USB board...

@adidas88 wrote it worked the day before but it did not turn on next mornig.
So my question would be if the phone was turned off last night and if so, about what percentage of charge it had.

So if I understood well, it still had charge but it did not turn on the next morning.

I would check if there is some charging current or if it comes up as an USB device and what is its device identifier.

As there were some devices which had faulty UFS flash and same symthomps, this can also be a similar issue but I would check the charging current and USB communication to find out more about it.

Simply replacing the USB board is unlikely to solve this problem unless the phone had low charge the day before and an uncertain USB port...

Link to post
Share on other sites

If the usb-board is functioning, I would expect the LED or display to react when applying power.
If the display is not working, but everything else is, the LED should turn on.
If the display is working, I would expect something to happen in the display.
So going for the simplest options first, I would certainly start looking at the USB side (charger/cable/board)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

If the usb-board is functioning, I would expect the LED or display to react when applying power.

No, it will only turn on if the software can load to a stage it drives the LED.
It is not directly driven by hardware (own experience).

10 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

If the display is not working, but everything else is, the LED should turn on.

Correct, LED will light up this case.

11 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

If the display is working, I would expect something to happen in the display.

If software can reach a state it starts to display F(x)tec logo, then it should display something.

13 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

So going for the simplest options first, I would certainly start looking at the USB side (charger/cable/board)

The simplest is to check if it comes up as an USB device when connecting a cable.
Also UFS-dead Pro1 came up this way and from this state, an initial reprogramming may be started as next step (which may or most likely may not help)...

Checking with another cable is a good idea, also pressing power button for more than 10 seconds (forcing restart) is a good idea (on flash-dead Pro1, USB interface came up around 10 minutes after doing this).

So the question is if it does anything and what it does.

I would still like to know if Pro1 was powered off in the evening and what charge it had about, so if it can be related to battery charge problem or it is not likely.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, this also happened to me, same exact thing. Went to bed, phone was working. Woke up, phone was off (it had enough battery to survive the night). Wouldn't turn back on, wouldn't react in any way to plugging in to original charger, different chargers, different cables, etc.

I'm in the process of mailing it to fxtec for repair right now.

When emailing support, my experience was it took about 7 days to get a response. You might be able to expedite by sending them pictures with your first email, as they asked me for a total of 10 pictures: top and bottom of each corner, the USB port, and a clear photo of the screen.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, VaZso said:

I  don't think the issue is about the USB board...

@adidas88 wrote it worked the day before but it did not turn on next mornig.
So my question would be if the phone was turned off last night and if so, about what percentage of charge it had.

So if I understood well, it still had charge but it did not turn on the next morning.

I would check if there is some charging current or if it comes up as an USB device and what is its device identifier.

As there were some devices which had faulty UFS flash and same symthomps, this can also be a similar issue but I would check the charging current and USB communication to find out more about it.

Simply replacing the USB board is unlikely to solve this problem unless the phone had low charge the day before and an uncertain USB port...

I am completely off my expertise, so I can only tell you that I thought the same, but it was indeed the USB-Board that kept my phone totally black. No LED, no charging, no USB connection from the pc nothing. Exactly as you describe. And it happened for me while I was using the phone. It just went black.

Don't ask me why, but the support told me USB-Board and they were right.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

I am completely off my expertise, so I can only tell you that I thought the same, but it was indeed the USB-Board that kept my phone totally black. No LED, no charging, no USB connection from the pc nothing. Exactly as you describe. And it happened for me while I was using the phone. It just went black.

Don't ask me why, but the support told me USB-Board and they were right.

Interesting.

However, I assume your device was also not communicating over USB which may worth a check I think.
(I really hope what I have experienced with a Pro1 is very rare, it was definitively a flash problem forcing it to go to EDL mode after 10 minutes and failing to write flash via Factory Restore Tool.)

Anyway, I am curious what may be the problem with USB panel... theoretically, it can be forced to boot into EDL mode using a Type-C connection which may cause a similar symptom (but not after several minutes) - it would look exactly what you currently see and over usb, it would be accessible in EDL mode if otherwise USB communication works.

However, I could not enter it on my own phone.
So it may happen it can trigger it somehow or there is some special mode(s) exist.

However, I find it interesting and it would be good to know more about its background...
Also it would be good to know if it resolves the problem what @adidas88 has.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VaZso said:

Interesting.

However, I assume your device was also not communicating over USB which may worth a check I think.
(I really hope what I have experienced with a Pro1 is very rare, it was definitively a flash problem forcing it to go to EDL mode after 10 minutes and failing to write flash via Factory Restore Tool.)

Anyway, I am curious what may be the problem with USB panel... theoretically, it can be forced to boot into EDL mode using a Type-C connection which may cause a similar symptom (but not after several minutes) - it would look exactly what you currently see and over usb, it would be accessible in EDL mode if otherwise USB communication works.

However, I could not enter it on my own phone.
So it may happen it can trigger it somehow or there is some special mode(s) exist.

However, I find it interesting and it would be good to know more about its background...
Also it would be good to know if it resolves the problem what @adidas88 has.

Again I have no knowledge in this area, I am a programmer and this seems to be a HW problem.
But could it be, that the power controller is also on the PCB where the USB is located? There are two connectors to that pcb for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

Again I have no knowledge in this area, I am a programmer and this seems to be a HW problem.
But could it be, that the power controller is also on the PCB where the USB is located? There are two connectors to that pcb for sure.

It is definitively seems to be some sort of hardware problem.

USB PCB may has some electronics but it is very unlikely the main power supply is located there.
However, it may has components related to USB power which may also has communication with SoC which may fail to start if this communication is absent (IC is not present or communication line has stalled) - but this is only a guess.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

One time my phone died I got following advice from the support:

Quote

 

Dear Tonis,

We're sorry to hear about the issue.

We'd most likely need to book your device in for service, but before that, there's a couple of things you should try. 

1. While plugged on charge, does the red LED light up?

2. While plugged on charge, please hold the power button for 20 seconds, release for 3 seconds and then hold again for 2 seconds. This should hopefully fix the device assuming it's only in a crashed state.

Feel free to let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

 

Thankfully it helped in my case. But if you're really having HW issues then this, of course, does not help.

But worth to try.

I would not advise sending a phone to FxTec for repairs. Its close to 3 months for me now and it starts to seem that they have lost my phone (I sure hope its not the case, but they still haven't been able to confirm they got it).

Edited by tonism
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tonism said:

Thankfully it helped in my case. But if you're really having HW issues then this, of course, does not help.

But worth to try.

Yes, it worths a try - practically it is a forced restart and a "turn on" signal in case it remains in power off state.
By pressing the power button on working system for around 10-20 seconds, it will also restarts (resets) the system - but it is not adviced to do it when it is not necessary (may lead to software issues).

1 hour ago, tonism said:

I would not advise sending a phone to FxTec for repairs. Its close to 3 months for me now and it starts to seem that they have lost my phone (I sure hope its not the case, but they still haven't been able to confirm they got i

In case it can be repaired locally, it may worths not sending back for repair... but there are more serious issues which a user can not solve, however, F(x)tec may also could only solve it with a Pro1-X later...

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Yesterday evening I wanted to put my Pro1 on charger (I was really sleepy).
As my USB port is not perfect (only charges well in one direction), I have tried to connect (showed slow charging), then connect the other direction (showed slow charging), to a state where it did not show charging (but LED was working).

I thought it is the mentioned "not charging" problem and I read here a turn off / on may help it better, so I have turned my phone off.
...then I could not turn it on again by pressing the power button until I plugged in charger and finally it has powered on by power button (charging works the same uncertain way as earlier).

So I suspect this may be the kind of USB-related problem what support was speaking about (written above).

My only problem is I have contacted F(x)tec about my USB connector starting to develop problems on 24th of November, they replied me requesting photos on 1st of December and nothing since then...

I really feel the need of a replacement USB board very soon but I am afraid contacting them again as I will never have a reply then. 😞
Otherwise, I have tried to order some types of Type-C connectors in a hope one may fit in my Pro1 (and I may want to take a closer look of them for my own development) but I am afraid there is low chance the Pro1 uses a connector of the same type I have ordered... but I really hope it is not a really special connector which is practically not possible to be hand-soldered... so at last, I am hoping the USB board may be recovered without really special machines, but I do not want to experiment on my somewhat working panel...

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rob. S. said:

To prevent more wear to the USB connector until some more permanent solution will present itself, maybe trying to using a magnetic adapter/cable might make sense. 

I have just received my magnetic cable today (and another two in a few days) but unfortunately it is about the solution after replacing the USB board for me...

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms