This phone is ruining my life...

Like many other people, my phone is my lifeline. In don't use it that much but when I do it is essential. It replaces things like the bank down the road which shut down. I have given criticism of this phones keyboard but that is not enough. The OS is a joke.

First I find DND was on and why is even there? This is a function barely more popular than airplane mode for people who travel infrequently. It is so easy to turn on by accident.

Now when it's off I just order food. It came earlier than their proscribed time. I got a call and texts. The phone did nothing despite the volume being up and DND being off. I didn't here a peep. So now I have no food. I don't know where he went after that. You are ruining my life.

I can't close apps. You have some weird button thing and scrollbar mess up. It is absolutely vital to be able to switch apps and close them but this functionality is absent. How did you even achieve this? You only have to install some stock OS in this department.

When I lay the phone down flat weird things happen with touch. It's dancing around all over the place.

Can you please bloody fix this. The phone is a potato out of the box. I might as well just go back to the S5.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

This thread might be related to the touch issue you're describing. 

The rest of what you're mentioning is not really related to the Pro1 I think. The OS installed is basically pure Android 9 (with a few bugs and missing functionalities for this particular phone).

You say, you didn't have DND on, but still didn't receive any notifications. Never heard anyone else here describe this problem, so are you sure, you didn't just have your notification/call sound level on 0?

And about not being able to close apps: If you cannot figure out, how the gesture navigation (present in all later Android versions btw.) works, there is a setting to go back to the classic navigation bar with -back,home,recent- buttons.

• Thanks 1

Seems mostly Android not Pro1 specific to me. You could consider some of the alternative ROMs available.

BTW Aeroplane mode is something I use whenever I am at the cinema, or e.g. a meeting - sometimes even over night. Much faster to toggle than turning the phone off and back on, and for all practical purposes just as efficient....

12 hours ago, Joey said:

I can't close apps. You have some weird button thing and scrollbar mess up. It is absolutely vital to be able to switch apps and close them but this functionality is absent.

Again, as people have pointed out, this is Android, not the Pro1.  If you don't have it on, you can switch to the three button navigation bar in settings,  It has been so long since I have had stock android on the phone I don't remember where the setting is in Android 9.  In Android 11 it is under settings --> system settings.  The square button will allow you to view all open apps and switch apps.

Android was designed to manage closing apps itself and, in general, manage it's own memory. It does a pretty good job, so let it.  If you really insist on closing an app, hit the square button and flick the app you want to close off the screen,

3 minutes ago, Hook said:

Android was designed to manage closing apps itself and, in general, manage it's own memory. It does a pretty good job, so let it.  If you really insist on closing an app, hit the square button and flick the app you want to close off the screen,

Basically you are right, but that is one thing what I hate in Android from the beginning.

On 1/22/2022 at 10:56 AM, Jacob_S said:

You say, you didn't have DND on, but still didn't receive any notifications. Never heard anyone else here describe this problem, so are you sure, you didn't just have your notification/call sound level on 0?

I have the very same problem. Randomly, the phone is on mute, even if all the volumes are maxed, DND is off, and I didn't touch the phone. 

If I reset the phone (10 secs power button), it's ok, but just until it happen again. It's been some months since I'm experiencing this problem. 

You don't know when and if it'll ring. My "test" is the charging cable. If it doesn't make the charging sound, it's on "mute"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Val said:

I have the very same problem. Randomly, the phone is on mute, even if all the volumes are maxed, DND is off, and I didn't touch the phone. 

If I reset the phone (10 secs power button), it's ok, but just until it happen again. It's been some months since I'm experiencing this problem. 

You don't know when and if it'll ring. My "test" is the charging cable. If it doesn't make the charging sound, it's on "mute"

Interesting, so there actually is a bug relating the volume. Apologies to @Joey for assuming the error was on your side.

The bug being on Android doesn't really mean it's not specific to the phone. Sometimes there are device-specific issues because of porting bug or something. Phones are just a mess I guess 😅

• Thanks 1

I cannot really comment on the state of the stock Android OS as I have been on Lineage since day one. However, especially those who jumped-off stock only recently seem to not look back at all. Considering how unhappy you seem to be with your stock Android 9, I'd suggest you just give Lineage (or some derivative) a chance.

I think it is by now clear that F(x)tec more or less intended the Pro1 to be used with alternative ROMs. Yes, I fully agree that they should have either stated this more clearly from the beginning, or properly supported the original OS their phone was delivered with. But I think that ship has sailed.

The good news is that your Pro1 is probably quite easy to sell even at full purchasing price, if its hardware is in decent condition ... 😉 

Edited by claude0001
1 hour ago, claude0001 said:

I think it is by now clear that F(x)tec more or less intended the Pro1 to be used with alternative ROMs. Yes, I fully agree that they should have either stated this more clearly from the beginning, or properly supported the original OS their phone was delivered with.

I think at the beginning, they wanted to do it differently but a lot of things have happened.

Also, the SoC availabilty problem crossed out a lot of things.
Redesigning a phone has added a lot of financial penalty and not only on the later availability but redesigning schematics, PCB, aditional tests and certifications need plenty of money.
...and this problem leaded the Pro1 to be a "dead end", so financially it does not really worth for them to invest large amount of money for further OS developments, as Pro1-X wil not gain anything from it and it needs to walk through its own way (OS development), also, hopefully they may be able to manufacture it for a while and it will not result in another "dead end" because of availability problem again.

...and availability problem may not only come from a SoC-related problem but from any other parts of Pro1-X, unfortunately.
This kind of problem is still a very big problem in curent electronics developments...

2 hours ago, VaZso said:

I think at the beginning, they wanted to do it differently but a lot of things have happened.

I do not know from personal experience, but people close to the Lineage porting effort have hinted F(x)tec at least suspected they would not be able keep an official Android OS afloat -- long before the 835 thing happened. Seems like keeping a certified Android OS up-to-date is not so cheap after all, let alone porting newer Android major releases to the device ... 

Edited by claude0001
3 hours ago, claude0001 said:

Seems like keeping a certified Android OS up-to-date is not so cheap after all, let alone porting newer Android major releases to the device ... 

Right, but they planned that Pro1-X will be 100% identical to Pro1 inside (except of the option of using larger UFS and more RAM).
They have also planned to release Android 10 for Pro1/Pro1X.

I am sure they had to spend more money for the effort of Pro1-X to go ahead (keeping the project instead of dropping it) than if they would if they were continue paying for software improvements of Pro1/X (as the original plan)...

Looking back where we are now, as Pro1-X is a different hardware and the amount of Pro1 phones are limited, it is unlikely they are planning to support Pro1's OS but focusing on Pro1-X instead.

Otherwise, Pro1 works really well using LineageOS, but there are some closed-source parts which would be good to gain some improvements...

• Like 2
3 hours ago, VaZso said:

Otherwise, Pro1 works really well using LineageOS, but there are some closed-source parts which would be good to gain some improvements...

The swindle could also be part of this. They might miss part of the source code / licence keys for the 835 variant, if some is held by the swindlers. And legal battles take ages...

• Like 3
6 hours ago, VaZso said:

Right, but they planned that Pro1-X will be 100% identical to Pro1 inside

That's a good point. You are right that the Pro1 could -- technically at least -- have had the upgrade to the Pro1X's Android 10 for "free" if the SoC thing had not happened.

However, it is also true that updates of stock Android 9 stopped long before the mainboard change. As far as I know, they ran into trouble with their contractor making the OS, independent of the other issues with the SoC manufacturer. Let's hope they (and we) will have more luck with the Pro1X ... 

• Like 4