Is there a functionality to press shift key once so that the next letter I press is uppercase

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a smartphone with physical keyboard for a long time now and tried gemini for example. One major function I'm always missing is to write uppercase letters while I hold the smartphone in the air. Seems like physical keyboards are always designed with putting the phone on the desk so you have to hold shift instead of pressing it once and the next letter is made uppercase. I'm from germany and we write many uppercase letters. My xperia pro back in the days had this feature and I want this experience back.

The short answer is No, not out of the box.

The longer answer is that the feature is inside Android, and is a matter of wether the keyboard-setup file defines the keyboard as a full keyboard or a reduced one. And the full one does not have the 'sticky' feature, but the partly does. See e.g. this.

I'm not aware if some software on top, e.g. SwiftKey might offer an option for sticky shift even on a full keyboard.

As @Jacob_S point out, all editions of LineageOS for the original Pro1 have the sticky-shift feature enabled. We do not know about the successor Pro1-X yet (Pro1 is no longer available).

I might add that, because of the large size of the Pro1, I find it is not practically possible to use the keyboard while holding the phone single-handedly -- with or without sticky shift. You'll still have to put it on a table when typing with one hand.  

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, daniel.schaaaf said:

Can sticky-shift be enabled/disabled somewhere in the settings? I never had sticky-shift on LOS 16 or 17, but would love to have this feature :classic_smile:.

I have sticky shift on LOS 18.1 but I would like to disable it. 🙂
(Usually it stops me in writing to look at Caps Lock state and find out plus check if pressing shift releases it...)

@daniel.schaaaf and @VaZso: I think we already discussed that elsewhere, right? I have not found any switch to enable or disable sticky shift. Interestingly, I found that the feature does not work in all apps: On my setup, "typical" smartphone apps like messengers and firefox tend to have it enabled, while more advanced things like terminal emulators and text editors usually don't. Seems like apps can choose to support that accessibility feature or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

@daniel.schaaaf and @VaZso: I think we already discussed that elsewhere, right? I have not found any switch to enable or disable sticky shift. Interestingly, I found that the feature does not work in all apps: On my setup, "typical" smartphone apps like messengers and firefox tend to have it enabled, while more advanced things like terminal emulators and text editors usually don't. Seems like apps can choose to support that accessibility feature or not.

Right, we have discussed about that earlier.
I haven't found any switch to enable/disable it either.

Now I have checked it and yes, usual smartphone apps have it enabled but for example, Termux don't.

I haven't extremely searching of a solution for that but sometimes I feel it is frustrating, especially when I press shift twice and only capital letters are appearing...

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, VaZso said:

but sometimes I feel it is frustrating, especially when I press shift twice and only capital letters are appearing

Happens to me too. First time it drove me nuts. I think I hit that poor, inncocent Caps-key pretty bad. 😳

25 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

First time it drove me nuts.

Same for me - looked at caps lock, pressed it, pressed again, nothing... then I heard about the sticky function on this forum. 🙂

...but later my first thought was still caps lock, then this sticky thing...

14 hours ago, VaZso said:

Same for me - looked at caps lock, pressed it, pressed again, nothing... then I heard about the sticky function on this forum. 🙂

...but later my first thought was still caps lock, then this sticky thing...

For me it was the other way around, sticky modifiers are what I was used from my n900.
It is not really needed on the pro1 since you have most modifiers twice, but for example the US International Layout only works with finQWERTY.

I would still like sticky modifiers though. Right shift is pretty far away, and sometimes I wish I could type with one hand while the phone sits on a table.

• 3 weeks later...