PRO1, AICP 17.1 (Android S) Official Build.

1 hour ago, dreamflasher said:

@EskeRahn What's your experience with AICP on the Pro1? How does it compare to LOS in terms of stability (and features)?

Well AICP-R seemed fine, but AICP-S is a bit early.
But that apart it is roughly an LOS with a bunch of extra 'options' .
I can not really fairly talk on the stability, as I'm not using neither Lineage nor AICP as a daily driver, but for tests only,

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We need a new reaction added....  Hahahaha+ThankYou(for trying) 😉

AICP-S 17.1 for Pro1 ADD: They have broken AICP-S  so it does not work at all in the versions available, even after extracting the boot.img from the zip it self. See my post later in this thread

OK, I tried TLDR: Waste of time, AICP-S is BROKEN for Pro1!!! I gave AICP a final chance by infesting a windows-pc with Phewton (it was already infested with GIT) and extracted the boot.img from

• 2 weeks later...

I must admit that I'm very close to giving up on AICP-S, since no one seems to be working on fixing the basic issues that has been there for over two months of initial release, and security updates over half a year old.

So maybe I should look at sailfish instead....

• Like 1
4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I must admit that I'm very close to giving up on AICP-S, since no one seems to be working on fixing the basic issues that has been there for over two months of initial release, and security updates over half a year old.

So maybe I should look at sailfish instead....

Yeah, much as I loved AICP, I'm just not going to trust and depend on it for those very reasons.  Having only 1 pro1, I'm staying with Lineage 19 as my daily driver.  Once I have my Pro1x, my Pro 1 will become my experimental device to try Droidian, Sailfish, no google Lineage, etc.

• Like 1

Flashed

aicp_pro1_s-17.1-WEEKLY-20220921.zip on security update 2022-03-05

Now I'm completely confused. Still initial boot-loop after flash,

But despite the outer file signals aicp-S and 17.1, the inner version is aicp 16.1 and tells it is Android 11???

(I downloaded again, did a binary compare, and a re-flash - just to be sure, but....)

• Confused 1

Flashed

aicp_pro1_s-17.1-WEEKLY-20220928.zip on security update 2022-03-05

Still initial boot-loop after flash, And still completely confused!

Despite the outer file signals aicp-S and 17.1, the inner version is aicp 16.1 and tells it is Android 11???

1 hour ago, Hook said:

I suspect no one at AICP is using a Pro1 anymore and these are just automated updates with no actual updating being done. 

Exactly, it does not make any sense, and R falls out the bottom next Wednesday, So no more AICP to us....

• Like 1

Flashed

aicp_pro1_s-17.1-WEEKLY-20221005.zip on security update 2022-03-05

Still initial boot-loop after flash, And still completely confused!

Despite the outer file signals aicp-S and 17.1, the inner version is aicp 16.1 and tells it is Android 11???

So time to give up on AICP on Pro1 I guess!!!

...when I find the time this test-device will likely get Sailfish again...

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 4:55 PM, EskeRahn said:

AICP-S 17.1 for Pro1

New version of AICP-S 17.1 based on Android 12 is available for download here: https://dwnld.aicp-rom.com/

aicp_pro1_s-17.1-WEEKLY-20220810.zip

It is VERY important that you do NOT take the boot-image used for the (also android 12 based) Lineage 19.1 as I did. I had a LOT of trouble first as can be seen in this thread.

You can use the SAME boot image for AICP-S as for the previous AICP-R!!!!
I use one from LineageOS from last year lineage_18.1-20210913-recovery-pro1.img . Others might work too (But the LOS 19.1 does NOT!)

The only working Gapps package for android 12 based I know of is MindTheGapps (see this it is a bit 'fat', so hope that OpenGapps will make for 12 too. Their Pico is more than enough to me. Currently using: MindTheGapps-12.1.0-arm64-20220605_112439.zip

Make sure to backup everything, as you are likely to need a factory reset for the first time installing AICP-S

Once you got the files needed follow the usual procedure for flashing a Boot-image and a zip (see e.g this)

Notice that when you reboot after flashing, it seems to go into a boot loop, but not so!! On the seventh boot(!!) after some 2-3 minutes it will actually launch AICP-S.
If you are upgrading from AICP-R  and (like I did) used the more lean Gapps package OpenGapps, it will request you to do a factory reset wiping everything.

If you are NOT using Gapps there is a chance that a pure Gapps-free AICP-R can upgrade gracefully to AICP-S.
It might even work if you used MindTheGapps for Android 11 with AICP-R.
I have not tested either, but if anyone has and it works, please tell below, and I will update.

Upgrading one AICP-S with MindTheGapps to a newer with same MindTheGapps works fine though 🙂

Any chance of installing AIX on it?

• 1 month later...

There have been no new AICP updates in three weeks, and as I have not have found the time to install something else on the unit, I fetched and installed 20221123. Same issues as earlier. (including still reverted to Android 11)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

as I have not have found the time to install something else on the unit, I fetched and installed 20230118. Same issues as earlier. (including finite boot loop, still reverted to Android 11, and despite changelog claims otherwise still old security stamp)

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2023 at 3:43 PM, EskeRahn said:

as I have not have found the time to install something else on the unit, I fetched and installed 20230118. Same issues as earlier. (including finite boot loop, still reverted to Android 11, and despite changelog claims otherwise still old security stamp)

"2023022", same.....

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

"20230322"

A lot of changes in their change-log, so optimistically tried again ..... Same as usual.

So got a crazy idea. What would happen if I flashed the same image to BOTH slot A and B, wiped the user-data, and booted??

After the usual 8 x 30s boot-loop, it continues to boot another eight time, and ends back at the at the boot-loader.

So what I has seen as wrong package content really most likely was the backup image!! I was never able to actually boot the image after the change they made after a few S-upgrades!

So most likely I really need to extract the boot-image from the aicp-package, to get one working. It seems like I need to infect a pc/phone with 'pew' to do that,
I'm not quite sure that will ever happen... I've seen various tools with .py code, but none .net based - i would have preferred that.

(Before committing this, a 20230329 has become available with few mods only)

13 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

It seems like I need to infect a pc/phone with 'pew' to do that

Your aversion to python is obviously still going strong. 😄  Can't really understand why, but then, I'm into scientific computing where there has hardly been a way around that language for 15 years or so ...

That being said, there are standalone payload extractors, like this one or that one. I haven't tested them though, as I have a lineage build environment anyway, which includes the official 'extract.py' tool.

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Adrienspawn said:

Still on 16.1 pending more recent alternative....

Well if you fiddle extracting the boot image from the newest S image, as e.g. claude0001 suggests, I guess it is likely that it will work with that as boot-loader.

OK, I tried TLDR: Waste of time, AICP-S is BROKEN for Pro1!!!

I gave AICP a final chance by infesting a windows-pc with Phewton (it was already infested with GIT) and extracted the boot.img from the zip.

Following this guide https://wiki.lineageos.org/extracting_blobs_from_zips#extracting-proprietary-blobs-from-payload-based-otas
(adjusted as needed...)

1. Infested a PC with Python,
    https://www.python.org/
    Downloads
    Download for Windows, Python 3.11.2
  2. Found pip.exe and installed packages needed
    C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\Scripts\pip install protobuf
    C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\Scripts\pip install six
    (the second will be missing later in step 9 if not installed)
  3. I already had the PC infested with GIT, if you have not you will need to install that as well
    Clone repository
    C:\git\lin>git clone https://github.com/LineageOS/scripts.git
  4. Download the zip from
    https://dwnld.aicp-rom.com/
    (selecting FxTec and picked latest)
  5. Extracted Payload.bin from zip, and put it in
    C:\git\lin\scripts\update-payload-extractor, (where extract.py is)
  6. CD C:\git\lin\scripts\update-payload-extractor
  7. Made a workdir WRK
  8. Set PROTOCOL_BUFFERS_PYTHON_IMPLEMENTATION=python
    It will complain in step 9 if not set
  9. Found python.exe and ran
    C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python311\python.exe  extract.py payload.bin --output_dir WRK
  10. renamed WRK\boot.img to something suitable and moved it to the PC used for flashing, and tried to use this flashed to boot_a, the usual way, including a factory reset.
    ...Did not work, after bootloop it ended in the bootloader again.
  11. Tried to flash the boot image to BOTH boot_a and boot_b, and retried (without gapps) - still no luck, same as above.
  12. So installed Lineage, and gave up on AICP-S as completely broken for Pro1!!!!

But YES it is technically possible to extract the boot-image from a zip, but it is a lot of tedious steps to do so - slightly less if you already got Phewton obviously.
That it was all in vain did not help my mood on the whole thing....

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

But YES it is technically possible to extract the boot-image from a zip, but it is a lot of tedious steps to do so - slightly less if you already got Phewton obviously.
That it was all in vain did not help my mood on the whole thing....

😄

... as I already hinted above, you could have avoided python and git -- and thus most of those tedious steps -- by using one of the standalone extractor tools I linked to above:

On 3/29/2023 at 11:46 AM, claude0001 said:

That being said, there are standalone payload extractors, like this one or that one.

I just tested payload-dumper-go. It works well and has no dependencies whatsoever.

Edited by claude0001
  • Confused 1