Pro1X, Remap physical camera button to different camera app?

On 9/17/2022 at 8:25 PM, Logan said:

Man, we really need a Lineage 19 build for this phone.  I know it all takes time and it's a new modem/soc...but whew that really would make it killer.

True. However, I have good news. On telegram's beta chat, I got myself an LOS build that boots. So I guess there's finally a bootable LOS build. It's still too barebones lots of stuff work but there's no services for the goodies and the useful such as turning keyboard backlight on automatically.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • EskeRahn changed the title to Pro1X, Remap physical camera button to different camera app?
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got my pro1x and was having several problems with the camera button, the biggest one being that it was taking photos in my pocket from the lock screen and leaving phone in the camera app.  Additionally the snapdragon camera app showed portrait image if the keyboard was open.

Anyway to resolve, I installed opencamera and disabled snapdragon camera app.  I used keymapper to set the camera button to open the camera app as well as shutter.

This works much better.  From lock screen, it still wakes device which I havent figured out how to disable, but at least it doesnt launch camera.

And now when unlocked, the camera button will launch opencamera, and when in opencamera will take photos.  Works perfect.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/net.sourceforge.opencamera/   https://f-droid.org/packages/io.github.sds100.keymapper/

Screenshot_20221014-142622.png

Edited by Craig
  • Thanks 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi all.

After running Droidian on my Pro1-X for a while and using it as a pocket Linux PC, I've decided to give it a shot as a daily with the stock Android.

One of the biggest limitations so far, has been the Snapdragon camera app. It's just... not good. I've been trying both Open Camera and Camera FV-5, and they both considerably improve the camera experience. When pushing the camera button, the phone launches the Snapdragon Camera app, even when in another camera app already. This was easy enough to fix, simply disabling the SD camera app entirely makes the hardware camera button work like a charm in both apps.

However, I can't seem to get the camera button to launch any other camera app. I kind of liked having quick access to the camera when I just mashed the button at any point, including when the phone was locked. It was great for getting a quick shot, and it allowed me to capture situations which I'd otherwise miss by fumpling around with the finger print sensor and finding and launching the camera app.

Is there any way to configure the app that gets launched when you press the hardware camera / shutter button?

You can use Keyboard/Button Mapper to launch any camera app via long press. However you will lose ability to take pictures (or at least it was like that with Pro1).

On 7/2/2020 at 1:53 PM, FlyingAntero said:

Defining key combinations and shortcuts

Keyboard/Button Mapper is a versatile application for defining various shortcuts. The application can remap individual buttons or key combinations to perform desired tasks. Below are a few examples:

• Function + Esc = Back
  • Function + Tab = Latest applications
  • Ctrl + tab = Divide the screen into two parts
  • Function + up = Volume up
  • Function + down = Volume down
  • Long press on camera button = Open Google Camera (does not work when screen is closed)

NOTE! Long press disables a short press on the selected button. However, this is not a problem with the camera button because Google Camera does not support the camera button anyway.

Android's standard key combinations are listed in the article below:

Camera app

For a better picture quality, you can try Gcam ports. Personally I prefer PocoPhone F1 port but the viewfinder is upside down if you select Night Sight. However, the picture is right way in the gallery afterwards. There is also BSG port (with fixed viewfinder) but it does not provide as great picture quality in very dark situations (noise level is bad).

PocoPhone F1 port vs. stock camera app

On 11/2/2022 at 2:17 AM, FlyingAntero said:

You can use Keyboard/Button Mapper to launch any camera app via long press. However you will lose ability to take pictures (or at least it was like that with Pro1).

I was able to keep that works, by adding both actions to the button, as shown two posts up.  I've also added a few more useful shortcuts too (F1-F12, PgUp/PgDn/Home/End).   However the downside I've discovered is that when set to their keymapper keyboard, the soft keyboard doesn't come up automatically on the occasion I need it when portrait which is rather annoying.

• Like 2