Pro1X, Terrible GPS signal

Despite calibrating in Google maps my GPS signal is terrible. Location is 77 minutes or off date despite being in a field with good phone signal. I keep getting "GPS signal lost". When using Android Auto.

It is now placing me a few miles away on the wrong side of the Thames!

High accuracy is enabled in settings.

Any other tips or is this combined with poor phone signal a sign I have a dud phone?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

On my first days with the Pro1X I suddenly had a massive problem with GPX, too. (I suspect that was before GPS had properly initialised itself; perhaps no Assisted GPS data was loaded yet, but that's me stabbing around in the dark.) I'm using an app named Locus for hiking. When I switched it to satellites view, there were some two dozens of satellites in view but all showed up red even though I was outside and a lot should have been in sight. It took some time, but in the end the phone started to find the satellites. Until then, it had been using mobile/WiFi data to approximate the location which left me with a 'precision' of a kilometer or so, too.

Since it began to see the satellites after I had that issue, GPS never failed me again; still, it is less precise than it used to be on the Pro1. When I track my hikes they often look like I was drunk😉 

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Is it the same with and without using Android Auto?

I never had a car with Android Auto (my current car, which also is the newest I ever had, is 20 years old), so I have no own experience there, but I seem to remember that the Pro1 always had some connectivity issues with it, albeit that used to be more of a Bluetooth thing.

I can add another bit regarding GPS precision on the Pro1 X, though, after noticing that, when hiking, straight paths are often recorded as serpentine lines. While I have found Google Maps to be working just as well as it used to work with the Pro1, I find GPS localisation in 'Here WeGo' (formerly HERE Maps) to be erratic to the point of being unusable. In densely populated areas the position marker keeps jumping between parallel streets every few minutes, each jump triggering a time-consuming recalculation. I have not used 'Here' before so I cannot compare to the Pro1 (oh, I just realise that I could try it with the Pro1 I still have...), but I don't think this behaviour is normal for 'Here', which I think it has quite a good reputation for its core functionality despite its Play Store score having dropped to a sorry 2.5 after the recent complete revamp of the whole app.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • 2 weeks later...

In Android Auto at one point I was getting "GPS Signal lost" every 20s or so.

I've discovered that not only is my phone not receiving calls, it's not registering on the network so that attempts to call or text me fail. This is with a brand new SIM.

Something is up and I need a fix or else I need a new phone.

• Sad 1

Tried a factory reset. Contacted Fxtec a month ago and still no response. Emailed again 2 days ago asking for help or a refund as it turns out my phone isn't even connected to the phone network - when my wife calls it just says the phone is not connected.

I realise that this isn't related to GPS but combined with my network and Bluetooth problems I suspect something is faulty.  Only response has been "we are aware of some connection issues" which is no good to me if I can't use a phone I paid a small fortune for and waited years to get.

As I said earlier I tried a factory reset and nothing changed.

Edited by phoebus2000
10 minutes ago, phoebus2000 said:

Tried a factory reset. Contacted Fxtec a month ago and still no response. Emailed again 2 days ago asking for help or a refund as it turns out my phone isn't even connected to the phone network - when my wife calls it just says the phone is not connected.

I realise that this isn't related to GPS but combined with my network and Bluetooth problems I suspect something is faulty.  Only response has been "we are aware of some connection issues" which is no good to me if I can't use a phone I paid a small fortune for and waited years to get.

As I said earlier I tried a factory reset and nothing changed.

It seems to be a common problem with Pro1X which I hope can be fixed by a software update later - maybe that is also the reason you have not received a reply yet... a potential firmware upgrade may fix the problem but they may not know when it is expected or if it can be really solved by a firmware upgrade...

• Like 1
  • EskeRahn changed the title to Pro1X, Terrible GPS signal
  • 3 weeks later...

I have also experienced "GPS signal lost" from Google Maps navigation.  The signal seems to come back a minute or so later.   Something is causing intermittent restart of the gps or something.   I have not reported direct to fxtec as it seems this is the case on all Pro¹-X.   However if I'm wrong, if anyone has Pro¹-X that can maintain GPS connection 30+ minutes, please post.

• Thanks 1

I have bad GPS precision, sometimes with frequent short drops of altitude values, but no such 'lost signal' cases. I'm using GPS frequently for longer durations (than 30 minutes), whether for car navigation (Google Maps) or hiking (Locus).

• Thanks 1

I also have very bad to no GPS accuracy. GPS Status App and Locus both show many found satellites (more than my Redmi Note 10 Pro) but it never gets more than one or two locked, so no positioning via GPS.

I'm in contact with fxtec since i got my pro1x and can confirm that they are not sure if it's hardware or software. I tried Beta firmware and there it seems like many more do have the same issues. Seems like everything support related is on hold until they found if it's hardware or fixed it in software.

• Thanks 1

Hmmm bummer. I was hoping everyone was getting the intermittent "lost signal" as other recent pro1x recipients on discord are also having it.    My signal appears strong and connected to plenty of satellites when I check it with gps checking software, so that doesn't seem to be my issue.  In any case sounds like it's worth holding out on firmware before trying for warranty repair.   (I never had Pro¹ or any other phone report gps signal lost while navigating til this Pro¹-X).

Edited by Craig
  • Thanks 1

I think it's all antennae and movment. Stand still with it and GPS will eventually pick up. Move and it goes all over the show. Same with Bluetooth, same with Wifi, same with mobile phone signal. Bluetooth is the most annoying as running with it is near impossible unless I want it to keep cutting out every few seconds. 

Please do report toi FXTec. The response today to me chasing up is that they are investigating but IU've asked for an ETA and if there are logs or things I can do to help them.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, phoebus2000 said:

I think it's all antennae and movment. Stand still with it and GPS will eventually pick up. Move and it goes all over the show.

Interesting. I got something not that different with the original Pro1. Normally steady as a rock, but travel around, and it gives spontaneous reboots. Especially if WiFi is on.

It is not every time, but often. And does not always happen on the same route. The only pattern is that the spontaneous reboots are extremely rare when at my desk.

59 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Interesting. I got something not that different with the original Pro1. Normally steady as a rock, but travel around, and it gives spontaneous reboots. Especially if WiFi is on.

Interesting - I do not have spotaneous rebboots of my original Pro1 except during traveling in the very first months usually only happening at a specific location.

There was an update which has resolved tis issue and never came back later.

However, it may highly depend on the service provider itself and mostly its frequencies used.

On 10/19/2022 at 12:32 AM, Craig said:

Hmmm bummer. I was hoping everyone was getting the intermittent "lost signal" as other recent pro1x recipients on discord are also having it.    My signal appears strong and connected to plenty of satellites when I check it with gps checking software, so that doesn't seem to be my issue.  In any case sounds like it's worth holding out on firmware before trying for warranty repair.   (I never had Pro¹ or any other phone report gps signal lost while navigating til this Pro¹-X).

No even refreshing AGPS Data does not help.

I already tried leaveing it at a table outside for half an hour and only once got 4 sattelites locked for a few minutes.
I attached a picture of pro1x and Redmi note 10 pro right side by side. While pro1x finds more sattelites it wont lock them.

245F25D8-409C-4596-ABEB-23E5D2859BFC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Jormsen said:

While pro1x finds more sattelites it wont lock them.

I think the "finds" here indicates that it by its rough position and agps data knows where the satellite it is supposed to see should be (and show them in white), but can not 'see' them ("fix"), that would have been in green.

2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I think the "finds" here indicates that it by its rough position and agps data knows where the satellite it is supposed to see should be (and show them in white), but can not 'see' them ("fix"), that would have been in green.

Great app.  I forgot that I'd purchased the Pro version at some point.

https://mobiwia.com/gpsstatus/

• green: satellite is used while determining the location
  • yellow: all orbital data is available, but the satellite is not used
  • blue: only rough orbital data (almanach) is available
  • grey: orbital data is not available

My Pro1-X is Out For Delivery, so I'll check out the GPS later today.

• Thanks 1

A quick comparison on my window sill that confirms some of the observations here (Left to right—Moto Z3 Play, Pro1, Pro1 X) :

PA209245.thumb.jpg.4006dd5c027cdeb8de485351d51ec95d.jpg

Images show the three phones three minutes after AGPS clear and update. 

1. The Motorola is the quickest to get the first fix (7 s), the Pro1 by far the slowest (~3 min), the Pro1 X in between (~1 min 20 s).

2. The Pro1 X "sees" the highest number of satellites satellites but "uses" the lowest number.

3. The Pro1 X is much less constant in its readings than the other two, they chance permanently. That includes losing a fix every when there are only few satellites in "use". Especially compass and altitude seem erratic, but position isn't precise, either.

For me, GPS is mostly usable for everything I use it for (Google Maps navigation, hiking with Locus), but only just, and for some applications it is hardly precise enough. At least I rarely ever lose the fix outside...

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1

Hmm... Looking at the satellite views, the Pro1 X seems to draw their positions completely different than the other two phones. Could there be a bug in the underlying code, not getting the positions right?  

56 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

Hmm... Looking at the satellite views, the Pro1 X seems to draw their positions completely different than the other two phones. Could there be a bug in the underlying code, not getting the positions right?  

Look at the compass, 90 degree off. I had the same issue initially. Related to the slider, but it solved itself (when in portrait)
Just tried again, and it is off again....

Add: Sorry, remembered wrong. It is an autorotate-bug.
IF you open it, with an app supporting landscape THEN the orientation is shown correctly.