Known hardware that works for flashing

I too had initially many troubles when trying to use several Linux PCs (both, desktops and laptops) for flashing the Pro1 in fastboot mode. Compared to other phones, it seems to be quite picky about the USB hardware ...

I ended up configuring one of my Raspberry Pi3 specially for flashing my Pro1 and Pro1X: no problems ever since. The RPi3's are cheap, their simple USB-2.0 ports have proved to be 100% reliable for the purpose, and adb/fastboot is just an "apt install" away in Raspbian.

Edited by claude0001
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Milky_Pimms said:

I had so many problem due to hardware. Please list hardware that works to save pain

ROG STRIX B550-I O/S Fedora 37, BIOS USB flashback port (use sudo for fastboot)

Basically there are more USB connections on a PC than physical USB endpoints at hardware side.
So there are internal HUBs connected and also there are usually internal USB hardware in the machine which are also connected somewhere.

So more USB devices share the same bus.

These USB devices are communicating with PC, so they may generate interrupts, so hardware is also handling their communication while the flashing method needs strict timing, so that may result the process does not arrive in time for data sending.

That is the background.

Usually there is at least one USB connector on a  PC which does not share (or share less) devices, but it is not necessarily true.
So you may check all of the USB ports on your hardware while trying to minimize your externally connected USB devices - it may help.

Under Linux, basically lsusb helps.
You may find your root HUBs sitting on a "BUS" (lsusb | grep root), then you may find devices connected to a specific bus.
Try to connect the phone to a bus which does not have other devices connected or to a bus which has the least devices connected.
It will help. 🙂

You may try it using any devices which you can identify to find the root HUB which will only has that device connected - if you can reach that state, then firmware update should work... and connect that phone to that USB connector.
Be aware that more external connectors may share the very same root HUB, that case plug your mouse/keyboard or other devices to a different USB port which connects to a different root HUB... or simply leave some devices (like printer, USB camera, etc) unplugged while updating your phone.

• Thanks 2

I'm not very technical, not a noob, but a knowledgable user willing to find and RTFM if I know where it is.  Principly a Windows user, but am using Linux more and more (because I have two very knowledgeable and patient friends who use Linux professionally).  I always found Windows to be very picky and inconsistent with flashing.  Since switching to Manjaro Linux on a Thinkpad X230, I have had no problems.  Didn't have to download anything.  ADB and fastboot were already there and I can use them from any directory.  It just works (note, I have only ever flashed Lineage so far).

If a user like me has an old computer lying around, I highly recommend Manjaro.

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, VaZso said:

Under Linux, basically lsusb helps.
You may find your root HUBs sitting on a "BUS" (lsusb | grep root), then you may find devices connected to a specific bus.
Try to connect the phone to a bus which does not have other devices connected or to a bus which has the least devices connected.
It will help.

Good advice @VaZso I still think hardware weirdness going on as well. 

@fedora ~]$ lsusb
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 003: ID 1b1c:1b3d Corsair Corsair Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 1b1c:1b3c Corsair Corsair Gaming HARPOON RGB Mouse
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 0b05:18f3 ASUSTek Computer, Inc. AURA LED Controller
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 8087:0025 Intel Corp. Wireless-AC 9260 Bluetooth Adapter
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 047f:c05e Plantronics, Inc. RIG WD1
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

The only USB Bus which is not shared is (Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub and Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub )  As well lsusb is not telling the truth. The ports are USB 3.2 Gen 2, AMD's broken thunderbolt. 

On top KVM was passing-on qualcomm-device when in firehose boot mode and I had not add the hardware. 

Any-who a list keeps it easy (a no brainer) to help noobs like me.

(M_P)

4 minutes ago, Milky_Pimms said:

The only USB Bus which is not shared is (Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub and Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub )  As well lsusb is not telling the truth. The ports are USB 3.2 Gen 2, AMD's broken thunderbolt. 

I think if you unplug your keyboard and mouse, you will have a completely free USB2 line.
You may plug them into another USB ports but then check it again if they really connected to another bus so that connector is not also connected to BUS 005.

...then you may try to connect your phone to the USB connector where your keyboard or mouse is currently connected.

It worth a try.

• Thanks 1

I found it impossible to flash directly from my "Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga X1 Gen6, 20XY", BUT if I let it connect through an external HUB, things suddenly works.
I both tried an ancient cheap one I had in a deep drawer and ports on the Lenovo Thunderbolt 4 Docking. All works. (the cheap old one was USB1 I guess, the flashing was extremely slow - but it worked...)

So my first suggestion would be to try a hub (and/or different cables). Some screens got a build in hub, if you have not got other alternatives. If that does not work either, try to look for an older hub, to make sure it is plain and simple USB2 not USB3 (It MIGHT work just fine on SOME usb3, so only see this as a possible troubleshooting route)

12 minutes ago, Milky_Pimms said:

I have a J.burrows usb hub 2.0 and did not work. Whats your USB 2.0 hub brand? 

I'm not even sure it is USB2, it was a tiny Chinese 'no-name' thing I bought ages ago. Looks like this one: https://www.skout.com.au/item/80001544 (less the branding) I think I found it on ebay....
...But can not recommend it, flashing was REALLY slow.

3 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Please note that drivers also matters. It is a puzzle really to get things working, we have other threads on it in here...

Right, under Windows, drivers can cause a lot of troubles and "plug and play" driver installation may also cause issues.

However, if I understood well, @Milky_Pimmshas tried it under Linux where driver-related problems do not apply.

• Like 1

The Pro1 seems really problematic with regard to fastboot. I recently flashed my wife's Fairphone3 using my Thinkpad X250 without any problems. That same PC never succeeded with the Pro1 ...

There seem to be multiple factors affecting flashing, especially in fastboot mode, and some are not controllable in a daily-driver PC. E.g. many USB-attached peripherals are not "removable" in a laptop.

Hence my advice to just use a dedicated system for all Pro1 flashing. Using adb/fastboot from a Raspberry 2 or 3 just works(tm)! They're hardly more expensive than a separate USB hub and are useful for so many other projects ... Note that I haven't tested the Raspberry 4 in this respect: "improving" on its predecessors' USB 2.0, it features a USB 3.0 bus that might behave differently for our purpose ...

Edited by claude0001
  • Thanks 2

I have an old ProBook 6360b laptop running Windows 10 and Ubuntu (dual boot). Mostly I am using Windows for flashing since I am more familiar with that environment. Just need to find correct drivers before you can flash anything. I have not had any issues with Pro1 or other phones. It just works!

I guess that I will never throw Probook away. I even upgraded the CPU to quad core.

EDIT: And always use the original cables that came with the phone! At least that is what I do.

Edited by FlyingAntero
2 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

I guess that I will never throw Probook away.

*off-topic*

Yes, stick to that beautiful machine as long as you can. I love those old laptops that were actually compactified versions of true workstations -- with all ports, interfaces, and peripherals ever needed. I sadly will have to retire my beloved T400 soon (due to lack of video acceleration in recent Firefox). It is to be replaced by a T470p that can't even come with an optical drive bay. All for the "added value" of a few mm-thinner frame ...     

• Like 2