Fingerprint sensor working only in settings

Hello,

I have this weird problem with my pro 1X which I didn't experience on any of my previous phones. When I go to the security settings on stock Android (fully updated), it lets me choose the method of unlocking the phone (fingerprint + PIN for example). I then input my PIN, confirm it and then I can map my fingerprints. It reads them fine and everything goes smoothly. 

But then when I want to actually unlock the phone, the fingerprint sensor acts like it's dead. No vibration, no nothing. It also plays dead in every app I tested (like the internal google pictures app, internet banking etc.). When I go back to the security settings menu, I can see my fingerprints still being present. And I can add new ones and the reader reads them fine. But then the reader doesn't work anywhere else.

Multiple restars and setting my fingerprints over and over again didn't help. Smart lock function is turned off. Turning it on didn't help. 

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

// Build V2.1.2_20220707

Edited by Jakub

A similar issue exists on the Original Pro1. Occasionally it get into that state, and a simple restart fixes it.

But the issue comes back. Sometime the same day, sometimes weeks after.

I see no real system in it. Except I have a suspicion that touching the reader while it is vibrating a notification, triggers the odd state - though not always. Or maybe it is while it is still receiving an sms/email/call.

Picking it up in an idle state to e.g. send a message does not seem to trigger it - or only rarely so.

Well this glitch is persistent. The reader doesnt work even right after the restart. One thing i spotted is when I have my finger on it while I press the power button to lock the screen, the phone vibrates. Its telling me it has been registered. But when I want to unlock it, it plays dead again. This is a really cruel glitch to me since my company requires a strong password for me to be able to connect into our network. Its pretty much unbarable without the fingerprint reader to input the ong password every time... I didnt expect this phone to be bulletproof, but this is omething I really expected to work...

// Further investigation. I downloaded an app which lets you add features to the fingerprint sensor. Like taping it once or twice, you can do actions like "go to your home screen" or "turn on the flashlight". It doesnt work either...

//Also power optimalization under battery settings does nothing. I was afraid if this didn't turn the sensor off. Deactivated + restart and still nothing.

Edited by Jakub
  • Sad 1

similar issues here - my Pro1's fingerprint reader system works quite erratically and can change its behaviour on an hourly basis.  moreover, at times the reader appears dead, but while i push the central button the screen lights up and looks unlocked just to turn black again due to the middle button press, very annoying !  sometimes it works as expected, and then i am each time pleasantly surprised.  it's totally unpredictable though one can be sure that when i am in a hurry it will not work, dafke.....

in any case, i love the phone, don't want anything else, strangely :)

1 hour ago, pistikem said:

similar issues here - my Pro1's fingerprint reader system works quite erratically and can change its behaviour on an hourly basis.

Is it under stock OS or Lineage?

My Pro1 became highly better after switching to LineageOS...

1 hour ago, VaZso said:

Note that the OP question was on the Pro1X, I was just telling that I have seen it on Pro1 too - I have not seen it on Pro1X -yet- though, but am not using it daily.

• Like 1

Im on stock Android 11. I have been fideling with it some more. When I want to enter a locked folder, the phone asks for a fingerprint. If I have a finger on the reader before and during opening of said folder, it wakes up for a fraction of a second and registers an attemp to read my finger. But it never recognizes it even though everything is clean. It doesnt work afterwards again. Its as the reader shuts down imidiately instead of being active upon succesful unlock attempt. Strsnge. And super annoying. 

9 minutes ago, Jakub said:

Im on stock Android 11. I have been fideling with it some more. When I want to enter a locked folder, the phone asks for a fingerprint. If I have a finger on the reader before and during opening of said folder, it wakes up for a fraction of a second and registers an attemp to read my finger. But it never recognizes it even though everything is clean. It doesnt work afterwards again. Its as the reader shuts down imidiately instead of being active upon succesful unlock attempt. Strsnge. And super annoying. 

For what it is worth, I can say that it is not a general issue on the Pro1X, so either you got something installed that does not agree well with the Pro1X, or you got a faulty unit.

Does it work generally unlocking from screen locked state? Is the bug limited to in apps?

My best - well least bad -suggestion, is to save all on the device, and do a factory reset.

At first without restoring anything, to see if it works unlocking the screen in this state. If that works, we are looking at software-conflicts. If it does not work, we are looking at hardware-issue.

3 hours ago, VaZso said:

stock Android OS - i need to run Wireguard, Signal and Leica Fotos,  and i don't think they are supported on the alternative OSes that FxTex may run on.

i used in the past for a mere 10yrs a Nokia N900 where with that one support for various non-stock software just sucked...till finally the Pro1 surfaced :)

Edited by pistikem

Ok so I just did factory reset and it behaves exactly like before. I didn't restore my backup and now I have a clear phone like from the factory. No apps, no accounts, nothing. This is frustrating. Before I did the reset I managed to unlock the phone once using the fingerprint reader. It was cca a second after I locked the screen. That was only once and "accidental". If the reader is "turned on" in settings and can read my fingers perfectly, that in my mind means its software related. 

Fingerprint doesnt work anywhere appart from settings. That includes all system apps like unlocking screen, images etc. 

// this is f**** up. When you restart your phone, it asks you first to type PIN for your SIM card. As soon as I type it in, I put and hold a finger on the fingerprint reader. Next step is to input PIN for my device. This whole time I'm still holding my thumb on the reader. As it goes from SIM card PIN to  "type in your device PIN" screen, my phone starst vibrating and keeps vibrating in 1 sec intervals. It's reading my fingerprint again, again and again. But it won't accept it because after restart you are required to input the PIN no matter what. Fingerprint method canot be used to do this but the reader keeps registering my attemps anyway. As soon as I input the device PIN and the phone goes to home screen, the reader is dead again acting like it doesn't exist. Works only in settings again, but plays dead when it should be unlocking my screen...  Well I gues that serves me right for spending a sh** load of money on a indie phone. 

Anyone able to crack this mystery is gonna be my hero. This bug is beyond annoing. 

// randomly worked now, but not as intended. Locking the screen with my finger already on the reader caused 2 vibrations - the second automatically unlocked the phone. So it did register. I did it again and again just by locking the phone with power button and holding my finger on the reader the whole time. Lock - 2 vibrations unlock - lock - 2 vibrations and so on... As soon as I lifted the finger it doensn't work again and I cannot even replicate this behaviour again. So no, definitely not HW related. It can work and it doesn't struggle to read corectly. It's some weird software glitch causing the reader not to be active when it should...

Edited by Jakub
  • Sad 1

Caught it "working" again. If I have a finger on the reader as I'm locking the phone, it will automatically unlock the phone imidiately. If I don't have finger on the reader as I'm locking it, or If I release it too early, nope, nothing. 

https://streamable.com/i4javc

Being able to unlock the phone only a second after I locked it is useless. But it shows that it's not HW related as the reader clearly works fine. When the system tells it to... Plus this doesnt work everytime anyway. Managed to get it "working" like this only couple of times.

Edited by Jakub

Looks like my last option. So apparently I'm on build V 2.1.2_20220707 and there is a newer one V 2.1.5 "GMS-less". 

Please can someone more knowledgeable than me tell me what the "GMS-less" part means before I run head first into a brick wall? I can follow instructions in this guide but  I'm not going to foolishly pretend I understand anything what it says. I'm not exactly an Android guy. Comming from a long line of Symbian phones and then a few Blackberries, I know "nothing" about Android and at this stage of my life I just want a phone that works. And has a physical keyboard (yep, there's my whole problem...). 

Thanks a lot!

4 hours ago, Jakub said:

Thanks! So it's 2.1.2 for me then since I want just an android phone with a keyboard. 

Unfortunately I fear you got some hardware malfunction. If it was 'just' a software bug 'all' with a Pro1X would see the same.

While I cannot fully exclude HW malfunction as the primary cause, I still pretty much doubt it. And I have found a "workaround" for this weird bug. Well, workaround... Lets just say I discovered a bit less annoying way of unlocking the phone instead of typing my whole PIN.

When the phone is locked, I press the power button, which lights up the screen. From there I have the option to click on "emergency call". Then I place my thumb on the fingerprint reader and press "back" on the screen, as If I changed my mind and I don't need to make an emergency call. At that point the fingerprint reader activates for a fraction of a second and reads my thumb that is already there. And there it goes, the phone is unlocked.

I'll try to reflash the firmware when I'll have more time, but this again shows me the reader is capable of functioning. Plus when I'm adding new fingerprints in the settings menu, the reader has no problem being active the whole time, even whole minutes. Again, can be HW related, but more things point to a software problem.

// for some reason it doesn´t like my thumb. Other fingers work fine. 

Edited by Jakub
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Jakub said:

While I cannot fully exclude HW malfunction as the primary cause, I still pretty much doubt it. And I have found a "workaround" for this weird bug. Well, workaround... Lets just say I discovered a bit less annoying way of unlocking the phone instead of typing my whole PIN.

Great that you found a workaround! And thanks for sharing, I will try that, the next time I get the similar bug on the Pro1.
(At the least that unlock method works on the Pro1 too when the bug is not there)

I got an early Pro1X unit from FxTec and a retail Pro1X bought from Expensys (still waiting on the super-early-bird one Perked for on IGG). And though I only use them for tests, I have not had fingerprint reader issues at all on these two (yet?) so I'm pretty sure it is not a general issue for the Pro1X.

And as you still got see it on your factory reset unit, it should not be a software issue. But as you suggest re-flashing could be worth a try, not ruling out that something might had gone wrong flashing your unit originally - but do sound unlikely, only affecting this specific function.

On the other hand I will say that it certainly would be a weird hardware bug as your work-around has it working...

OH! just a weird idea: Have you tried without a sim and SD? Just to rule out the unlikely chance that any fancy carrier stuff on the sim, in some weird ways, messes with the system?
To make it as 'native' (and thus pretty useless) as possible, try to do a factory reset without sim and SD, and do not even connect to WiFi, just skip everything possible in the initial wizard, and add the fingerprints and nothing else.

Thanks for the tip, but I tried this as well. First and second time I did not have still SIM card inside and MicroSD is still in my Keyone. I also tried it without loading backup from Google amd I am pretty sure I didnt connect to the wifi. I tried a sequence of factory resets in short succession since my data was already gone. 

The more I use it the more quirks Im finding. Sometimes when I open the keyboard in some apps, I get UI not responding crash. Pressing the camera button will not just open the camera, but also automatically take a picture which is pretty dumb. Also the camera app crashed multiple times, it often doesnt have link to the gallery and I have to close it and open the gallery from my homescreen... The build from 07/22 looks more like Alpha build to me. Not something you should ship the phone with...

Edited by Jakub
  • Sad 1
21 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Great that you found a workaround! And thanks for sharing, I will try that, the next time I get the similar bug on the Pro1.
(At the least that unlock method works on the Pro1 too when the bug is not there)

ADD: Just had the issue on the Pro1, and the workaround does NOT help here, so most likely two different bugs, though with same symptom.

14 hours ago, Jakub said:

Also the camera app crashed multiple times, it often doesnt have link to the gallery and I have to close it and open the gallery from my homescreen

I had some crashes with the camera app on Pro1 if 1080p 120 FPS video was selected. Did you enable that setting? Also, if you launch Snapdragon Camera app via hardware camera button you will not see preview of previous pics. It will show preview icon if you launch camera via app drawer. That might explain why you see it sometimes.

• Thanks 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I think my fingerprint sensor just died after 3 years (OG Pro 1). Not even a restart is bringing it back to life, and it's like the phone forgot my prints because it's asking me to register again, but nothing happens when I try. lol

(this is a new issue for me, previously I only had the ear speaker  and microphone not working or the camera not working sometimes but a restart fixed those)

Anyway, if it stays dead it doesn't really bother me, it was a nice feature to have but the lack of it is not enough to force me onto a new phone.

Edited by Tsunero
  • Sad 1
20 hours ago, Tsunero said:

Not even a restart is bringing it back to life, and it's like the phone forgot my prints because it's asking me to register again, but nothing happens when I try. lol

Sad, but a factory reset MIGHT help, obviously also wiping all your data... So you would need all the extra works of backup and restore, that especially for app data and mms, can be hard to get working correctly or even satisfactory.