A user found a way to charge a 'dead' Pro1X!!! (confirmed by others)

On 10/12/2024 at 7:30 PM, EskeRahn said:

...And just for being clear, this has to be done while it is constantly being connected to some power supply.

Thank you

I haven't taken it off charge the entire 60+ hours it has been plugged in.

I've merely added the rubber band, super tight, removed it, let it sit and attempt to boot, and rinse and repeat.

Been at this since 11am Friday morning and it's now 1800 Sunday Australian time.

I'm reaching for straws here, but perhaps change chargers? Forum veterans could provide named charger alternatives. I use the slow charge of a computer's USB port (or the stock charger for rare fast charging), but a USB port may not provide sufficient juice.

Jake

I suspect that actually your Pro1x has been revived by the rubber band method but your problem is with the display.  There is one easy thing you can check.  The back of the display can be easily opened (5 screws, no glue) and you can check the ribbon cable to see if it is properly connected and seated. 

Unfortunately, if that's not it, it is probably a defective display.  I wasn't sure whether you said FxTec didn't answer your email or replied saying they couldn't help you (meanng they have no display replacements they could send you).  If the former, you may have to wait a bit.  They are slow at responding, but sadly, I suspect the latter.

I had a screen on my Pro1 that went dark and didn't display anything. That was back in 2021 and FxTec was able to replace it, so I know what you are experiencing can happen and I think it is likely the problem you have.   If your previous email presented  the problem as with the rubber Band trick, send a new email saying it actually seems to be that the display doesn't work.  Maybe they can do something,  Don't know, but worth a try,

You can get a replacement display here:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804876586192.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

Sadly they are out of the version that comes with the frame.  It would involve removing the old display from the frame on the Pro1x (it is lightly  glues) and replacing it with the new one.  However, there is a problem that doesn't have a solution right now-- the display need a patch or it leaves a wide border on the screen that doesn't respond to touch.  The patch doesn't run on anything greater than Android 10 and so, unlike the older Pro1, which runs on stock Android 9 and includes the patch in the OS, there is no way anyone has figured out to  get the Alie Express screens patched other than attaching them to a Pro 1 and then moving them to the Pro1x.

Sorry, all bad news. 

And I'm sorry this is happening (as an individual, I don't have any connection to Fxtec).  The Pro1x, while not always the best with signals, depending on your location and carrier), it is a fantastic pocket computer.  It is sad that after such a long wait, yours doesn't work. That's terribly frustrating.

The Fxtec folks only poke in here rarely, but I'll try a call-out to @Casey, just in  case.  He may indeed have bad news as well about the availability of displays, but I think  if you frame it in the email as a problem with the display, they might be able to do something where there isn't much they can do about the rubber band not working.

But from your description of sounds and vibrations, I truly believe the rubber band worked.

Good Luck

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
23 hours ago, Pro1-X jim said:

Thanks for the reply.

48 hours with the rubber band.

Super super tight - no tissue to protect the screen, couldn't budge the band by hand!

There has been a black screen the entire time

No visuals nothing.

There is a green light which changes to red indicator light, nothing else.

The backlight on the keypad comes on when the phone is opened.

I can also hear sounds as though something is happening, in terms of when trying to boot on.

When the rubber band was on - there seemed to be a constant cycling loop, from the sounds emanating.

The first rubber band attempt was about 26 hours, I then removed the rubber band and let it remain on charge, and tried multiple times to boot it through pressing the power button - nothing.

Then I repeated the rubber band process another 26+ hours. No change.

Each time I attempt the power button - to load or shutdown - no idea because no visuals - I rely on the vibration kicking in.

15 hours ago, Hook said:

I suspect that actually your Pro1x has been revived by the rubber band method but your problem is with the display.  There is one easy thing you can check.  The back of the display can be easily opened (5 screws, no glue) and you can check the ribbon cable to see if it is properly connected and seated. 

Unfortunately, if that's not it, it is probably a defective display.  I wasn't sure whether you said FxTec didn't answer your email or replied saying they couldn't help you (meanng they have no display replacements they could send you).  If the former, you may have to wait a bit.  They are slow at responding, but sadly, I suspect the latter.

I had a screen on my Pro1 that went dark and didn't display anything. That was back in 2021 and FxTec was able to replace it, so I know what you are experiencing can happen and I think it is likely the problem you have.   If your previous email presented  the problem as with the rubber Band trick, send a new email saying it actually seems to be that the display doesn't work.  Maybe they can do something,  Don't know, but worth a try,

You can get a replacement display here:

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804876586192.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt

Sadly they are out of the version that comes with the frame.  It would involve removing the old display from the frame on the Pro1x (it is lightly  glues) and replacing it with the new one.  However, there is a problem that doesn't have a solution right now-- the display need a patch or it leaves a wide border on the screen that doesn't respond to touch.  The patch doesn't run on anything greater than Android 10 and so, unlike the older Pro1, which runs on stock Android 9 and includes the patch in the OS, there is no way anyone has figured out to  get the Alie Express screens patched other than attaching them to a Pro 1 and then moving them to the Pro1x.

Sorry, all bad news. 

And I'm sorry this is happening (as an individual, I don't have any connection to Fxtec).  The Pro1x, while not always the best with signals, depending on your location and carrier), it is a fantastic pocket computer.  It is sad that after such a long wait, yours doesn't work. That's terribly frustrating.

The Fxtec folks only poke in here rarely, but I'll try a call-out to @Casey, just in  case.  He may indeed have bad news as well about the availability of displays, but I think  if you frame it in the email as a problem with the display, they might be able to do something where there isn't much they can do about the rubber band not working.

But from your description of sounds and vibrations, I truly believe the rubber band worked.

Good Luck

Hey mate,

Thanks heaps for the reply and the suggestions.

Firstly - I don't have any tools that small to remove the screen to check the display connection, so I'll need to track something down.

Considering I was a backer for the Pro1-X, and 2+ years later have only just received the mobile, within the last cple of weeks, am a little concerned about removing a display which has a hinge connecting it to the main body. I will give it a go though, and check.

Also appreciate the link for Ali-express, however am not paying anything extra for a brand new mobile. Respectfully, if they wanted me to test out the phone, they could have given me a free one, not have to pay $1200+ (Aussie conversion rate) for an absolute lemon on arrival. I was expecting to load an OS, not use a rubber band on a brand new phone to boot it, and start dissembling the hardware.

Yes, support have been ignoring my requests to find solutions to fix this expensive door stop, so please accept I am hugely grateful for your efforts. 

I agree, with the vibrations and sounds, it seems to elude to a display issue. Will see what transpires when I attempt to remove the display screws.

Once again, thank you for your assistance. Hugely grateful.

Will get back to you if OK?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Pro1-X jim said:

I don't have any tools that small to remove the screen to check the display connection, so I'll need to track something down.

While buying a miniature Phillips screw driver, make sure to also get some prying tool. Besides the screws, the display frame "clicks" onto the supporting base plate. Especially if it has never been removed before, fingernails are not enough to get it loose. You wont have to mess with the hinge mechanism by the way. However, be careful with the ribbon cable connecting the two halves of the phone: it is just long enough to allow you to reach the connector head.

I agree, with the vibrations and sounds, it seems to elude to a display issue.

Once the display frame is unmounted (which is quite easy) you can check and re-seat the ribbon cables coming from the bottom half of the phone to the frame, as well as the connector from the frame to the actual screen. This did fix a dead display for me twice (after dropping the phones). Dig deeper (into the bottom half of the phone) only if it doesn't.

[...] however am not paying anything extra [...]. if they wanted me to test out the phone [...]  absolute lemon on arrival [...] support have been ignoring [...] expensive door stop [...] hugely grateful for your efforts.

Much appreciated how you manage to lead a nice and polite discussion despite your understandable frustration. Not joking. Too many tend to forget that on this forum you are 1) mostly just talking to other users, not F(x)tec, and that 2) many of us have been through very similar troubles. Keep going! 👍

• Like 1
On 10/14/2024 at 8:51 AM, Pro1-X jim said:

I tried doing mpg to show the cycle loop, just vibrate with the red light every cple of seconds.

Just to add that this is something of a good sign, as this is how it behaves if I do it on a working Pro1X. But as it does not display a splash screen also in the loop, I agree with others that it is most likely a display issue.