How to start a new Pro1 X without Google ?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JJB said:

(the mentioned page refers to OEM USB driver which do NOT include Pro1X or FxTec, can't find the mentioned generic driver and the Google USB Driver is meant for Google devices like Nexus, Pixel etc.)

https://adb.clockworkmod.com/

1 hour ago, JJB said:

(it keeps me looping like forever between start page and Google login, there is no skip button, there is only "accept Google Services" even if WIFI is blocked for that MAC address specifically)

As mentioned you must accept the terms (doesn't matter, you're offline anyway...) to continue. Then you're asked for login that you can skip.

Edited by Kilrah
  • Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just my personal opinion: I wouldn't bother with any derivative distributions and just use upstream official LineageOS. If you use that without GApps, it's pretty close to /e/-OS. The main thing they

It's a long story, if you care to read through the updates on IGG.  The 25 cent recap is: 1. The Pro1x was intended to be simply a Pro1 with a different color and more memory with your choice of

Thanks guys for your support. Those last days were exhausting. Wouldn't make it without you.

Posted Images

9 hours ago, claude0001 said:

As far as remember, you do have to "accept" the Google terms, even if you skip connecting the device to a Google account. That's probably because the Google Services are already installed in the Stock ROM, whether you want to use them or not. It's been a long time for me though ...

That being said, the only point with enabling USB debugging in Stock Android is to trigger that initial reboot to the bootloader, which you can indeed also just do manually with the "Volume Dn + Power" combo.

While there really is no special trick about it, let me try a step-by-step:

1. Power off the device.
  2. In powered-off state, press and keep holding "Volume Down".
  3. Long press the power button to start the device, still keeping Volume Down pressed.
  4. Keep "Volume Down" pressed until the bootloader screen appears.

Concerning adb and fastboot: I unfortunately have always only run the tools from a Linux PC (that being the natural environment for building Android), where installing them is trivial. The requirement for that USB driver is specific to Windows, so I unfortunately cannot help much there. However, afaik (and as @Kilrah wrote several times) there is nothing specific to the Pro1-X there. That "Google OEM driver" simply enables some low-level serial communication with the phone that is standard across all Android devices.    

This leads me to a black screen with a robot saying no command. Device seems frozen until it shuts off due to power save I guess.

"ADB devices" tells "deamon not running"

no adb.exe there to kill

"adb kill-server" tells deamon not running"

9 hours ago, Kilrah said:

https://adb.clockworkmod.com/

As mentioned you must accept the terms (doesn't matter, you're offline anyway...) to continue. Then you're asked for login that you can skip.

Installed that drivers, no difference.

Accepting Google services and singing contracts with dark emperor leads me to the UI finally. Activated USB debugging and developer mode.

Tried to do that fastboot thing. See black screen with a robot mentioned above.

58 minutes ago, JJB said:

This leads me to a black screen with a robot saying no command. Device seems frozen until it shuts off due to power save I guess.

This post that @Kilrahlinked you to says what to do at the No Command screen, Doing as instructed should take you to the recovery menu which should have the reboot to bootloader option.

EDIT: Would have helped if I had actually included the link.  Sorry.

• Like 1

The target system actively refused connection:

image.thumb.png.2a405c4da436928348c251a00092283a.png

But the antivirus and firewall are all shut down.

The Device shows a screen telling:

"Press volume key to select..."
      and
"FastBoot Mode" in red letters.

I am in the right place, am I ?

And what did you mean ? Is it a matter of Windows not being able to put images on android devices ?

Adb doesn't run in bootloader.

5 minutes ago, JJB said:

I am in the right place, am I ?

Sounds like it

5 minutes ago, JJB said:

And what did you mean ? Is it a matter of Windows not being able to put images on android devices ?

just the tools can be unreliable on Windows. Supposed to work but sometimes just doesn't.

So I am in the right place/state sending the right commands ?
Sorry for asking so silly, but I'm kinda lost in translation. I'm no native English speaker.

I thought all these installation instructions are ready to use, the images are ready to use and it refers windows systems.

Currently it looks like Windows (in my case Win7) is not a good place to try connect to android systems.

So what chance do I have to get Lineage onto my phone finally ?

Posted (edited)

I see, so I need to start with step 6 ?

And should I skip:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

though they tell me other recoveries may not work for installation or updates ?
Or is the placed stock recovery already similar with the one meant for lineageOS ?

And what about the installation command ?
It is a adb command also:

adb -d sideload filename.zip

"Fastboot device" at least seems to answer with an ID.

Edited by JJB
1 hour ago, JJB said:

I see, so I need to start with step 6 ?

And should I skip:

fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

though they tell me other recoveries may not work for installation or updates ?
Or is the placed stock recovery already similar with the one meant for lineageOS ?

And what about the installation command ?
It is a adb command also:

adb -d sideload filename.zip

"Fastboot device" at least seems to answer with an ID.

No you need to start with step 4.  At the beginning of step 4, you are booted into the bootloader, where you can issue fastboot commands from the PC.  You then use the command to flash dtbo.img (step 4) followed by the fastboot command to flash recovery.img (Step 5). As long as you stay connected in fastboot mode, you don't need to reboot to bootloader during these two steps.  At the end of step 5, you can use the bootloader menu on the phone to reboot to recovery.  Then you are ready for step 6. When you are in the Lineage recovery is when you can use adb commands.

• Like 1

Also remember that both ports and cables can be problematic with fastboot on newer PC's
For me going through a hub helped connecting (It is still USB3.0, but something is different from when connecting directly), I guest that even a Thunderbolt hub, adds a tiny extra delay in the communication, and that helps getting fastboot working.

2 hours ago, Hook said:

No you need to start with step 4.  At the beginning of step 4, you are booted into the bootloader, where you can issue fastboot commands from the PC.  You then use the command to flash dtbo.img (step 4) followed by the fastboot command to flash recovery.img (Step 5). As long as you stay connected in fastboot mode, you don't need to reboot to bootloader during these two steps.  At the end of step 5, you can use the bootloader menu on the phone to reboot to recovery.  Then you are ready for step 6. When you are in the Lineage recovery is when you can use adb commands.

Everything works fine until I try to sideload. ADB commands are not accepted.

3 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Also remember that both ports and cables can be problematic with fastboot on newer PC's
For me going through a hub helped connecting (It is still USB3.0, but something is different from when connecting directly, i guest that even a Thunderbolt hub, adds a tiny extra delay in the communication, and that helps getting fastboot working.

You mean if I change something on the physical connection it might support the ADB commandos ?

9 minutes ago, JJB said:

You mean if I change something on the physical connection it might support the ADB commandos ?

I mean that the flashing is likely to fail on some connections. What is the error message you get from adb?

After you have flashed the recovery image with fastboot you need to boot into recovery mode, bootloader mode on the phone does not understand adb-commands directly

Here is the batch-file I use on windows for flashing:

@ECHO off
if %2.==. goto :EOF
ECHO * Wait for boot to bootloader to finish (or do manually holding VolDown+Power)
adb reboot bootloader
pause
echo *   sending %~n1
fastboot --set-active=a
fastboot flash boot %1
TimeOut 5 /nobreak>nul
shift
REM fastboot reboot recovery    does not work, so do manually:
ECHO * Roll down to "Recovery Mode" with VolDown, and press Power to select.
:REPEAT
ECHO * Await recovery boot. Select "Apply update", "Apply from ADB" for flash of
ECHO *   %~n1
pause
ECHO * If prompted (shortly after 47%%) tap "yes" to "...Install anyway"
adb sideload %1
TimeOut 5 /nobreak>nul
shift
if %1.==. goto :NORM
ECHO * Back to main menu, select Advanced, "Reboot to recovery".
goto :REPEAT
:NORM
ECHO * Back from the main menu, select Reboot.
ECHO **DONE** Should now boot into the new rom

4 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I mean that the flashing is likely to fail on some connections. What is the error message you get from adb?

After you have flashed the recovery image with fastboot you need to boot into recovery mode, bootloader mode on the phone does not understand adb-commands directly

Here is the batch-file I use on windows for flashing:

@ECHO off
if %2.==. goto :EOF
ECHO * Wait for boot to bootloader to finish (or do manually holding VolDown+Power)
adb reboot bootloader
pause
echo *   sending %~n1
fastboot --set-active=a
fastboot flash boot %1
TimeOut 5 /nobreak>nul
shift
REM fastboot reboot recovery    does not work, so do manually:
ECHO * Roll down to "Recovery Mode" with VolDown, and press Power to select.
:REPEAT
ECHO * Await recovery boot. Select "Apply update", "Apply from ADB" for flash of
ECHO *   %~n1
pause
ECHO * If prompted (shortly after 47%%) tap "yes" to "...Install anyway"
adb sideload %1
TimeOut 5 /nobreak>nul
shift
if %1.==. goto :NORM
ECHO * Back to main menu, select Advanced, "Reboot to recovery".
goto :REPEAT
:NORM
ECHO * Back from the main menu, select Reboot.
ECHO **DONE** Should now boot into the new rom

It looks like this:

image.thumb.png.d078b34ee73e183100ffa997e23c60d1.png

5 minutes ago, JJB said:

It looks like this:

"could not read ok from ADB server"
That could be communication issues.
Try a slower port. Have your PC got a USB2.0 port?
If not try a hub. An ancient very primitive hub supporting USB 1.0 only, worked for me - quite slow, but it worked.

Just to be sure that it not the issue. Could be driver also of course.

Just now, EskeRahn said:

BTW I do not use the -d option - I have no clue if that makes a difference

Tried with hub and without -d

no difference.

I had various issues when I got a new PC, and I posted them in here, but I forgot where, and also what driver I used, but i did 'something', it did not work out of the box as I recall it....

1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

I had various issues when I got a new PC, and I posted them in here, but I forgot where, and also what driver I used, but i did 'something', it did not work out of the box as I recall it....

From an official side there is no support for FxTec: https://developer.android.com/studio/run/oem-usb

It might be that FxTec is similar to another manufacturer maybe.