problem shift key with ANDROID & AZERTY

I have a problem with the shift key, I don't have the right characters

I have no problem with the characters A a B b ...

example for keys 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0

shift key gives ! @ # $ % ^ & * ( ) _

instead of & é " ' ( - è _ ç à

Settings -> System -> languages and inputs -> Physical keyboard -> Fxtec Pro1

I have a Pro1X not a Pro1

How to fix the problem ?

Merci à vous / thank you

I don't know about the Azerty setup, but you might make sure you have FxTex AZERTY set as your keyboard layout under settings -> System -> keyboard -> Physical keyboard.

Sorry, I sometimes just forget that I'm on Lineage, not stock, and then give misleading directions.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will step up here.

31 minutes ago, cbretion said:

I uninstalled all the applications, without finding.
I did a reset of the phone and it works 👍

I will monitor the applications that I will install

Thank's

I'm glad, because I was an idiot and forgot I was on Lineage, not stock, so my directions were probably useless and confusing.  Sorry.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all
I have a Pro1X rooted under A11 on azerty layout on my physical keyboard and i have some issues when tapping some keys.
when I want to type the apostrophe, I get the comma. And when I type the comma, I get the comma.
Does anyone know how to correct the problem?
Can we access the responsible file and modify it or is this managed by the kernel?
Also, how to type the pipe character | ?

Other questions:
I plan to go under LOS with MicroG. Does anyone know if the AZERTY keyboard will have the same issues and if FM Radio is supported under LOS21 as on A11?

Thanks

Edited by zegoo
4 hours ago, Aeong said:

If you use a button remapping app like Button Mapper, it will mess up your keyboard layout. Try uninstalling that app.

Hi and thanks @Aeong but i don't have an app such as Button Mapper. I just need to know what is and where is the kcm file which could be in charge of keychars mapping to modify it if it could be.

I searched deeply into /system/usr/keychars but nothing regarding the azerty layout.

16 hours ago, zegoo said:

Hi and thanks @Aeong but i don't have an app such as Button Mapper. I just need to know what is and where is the kcm file which could be in charge of keychars mapping to modify it if it could be.

I searched deeply into /system/usr/keychars but nothing regarding the azerty layout.

You cannot modify kcm files without root. However, apps can access the files on stock without root and even bring new ones. For example, users here have used FinQwerty for both Pro1 and Pro1-X. You can also develop an app by yourself if you have skills. The link below includes some info. Unfortunately, the app builder ExKeyMo website does not work anymore.

Just rebember that those apps do not work on Lineage OS since there is different driver for the keyboard. See more from here.

@Kilrah Thanks for your reply. On Android 11 Stock, all my keyboard keys are working except for that:

Azerty_Keyboard_Layout_1.thumb.jpg.81df4358d75ddc87ddedf6b0e9253670.jpg

In French (Azerty Layout), the simple Quote (') is very important. I would a Quote and i got a Coma. And on Row 2, ¨ character with the Yellow Arrow is missing too. But this is not the priority. 😁

What_I_Got.thumb.jpg.e1ddff2e88f8afd2dc02a036fa24372b.jpg

And the Pipe (|) character is missing. So i need it too. ☹️

@FlyingAntero, thanks too for your reply. So, you wrote "You cannot modify kcm files without root" but i wrote first that "I have a Pro1X rooted under A11".

And regarding FinQwerty, that should be a great idea i deeply looked already but there is no Azerty Layout on FinQwerty kcm Repo. And i don't know how to upload a kcm file i could make by myself (This is not very hard to do ...).

So, regarding LineageOS 21, i took a look into LineageOS-21 Fxtec_Pro1-X.kcm GitHub Repo, only one qwerty layout. 😔

I could make the right azerty kcm file by myself and also configuring the following file to right match with the kcm made but in don"t know how to build a personnal LOS21. 🤔

@EskeRahn, thanks too for you reply. As i wrote below, FinQwerty would be nice but even if it is open source, i don't have skills to build a FinQwerty apk with my azerty kcm file. I don't know what is the process to get more layouts working for this app. I can make the right kcm file but how to upload it ? 🤔

1 hour ago, zegoo said:

@FlyingAntero, thanks too for your reply. So, you wrote "You cannot modify kcm files without root" but i wrote first that "I have a Pro1X rooted under A11".

And regarding FinQwerty, that should be a great idea i deeply looked already but there is no Azerty Layout on FinQwerty kcm Repo. And i don't know how to upload a kcm file i could make by myself (This is not very hard to do ...).

Sorry, I didn't notice that you are rooted. Then you can just make your own kcm file and push it to system. By default in stock Android, the Generic.kcm is always US English keyboard (source). So if Pro1(-X) QWERTY owner starts to use the phone, the keyboard language needs to be unselected if user wants that the layout is as printed. However, if you are Pro1(-X) QWERTZ user, then you need to select German as a layout. Otherwise the layout does not match with the prints. I don't know how AZERTY is set up so I don't know what keyboard language you must select. But the kcm file that you are looking for is the language that you have selected for your AZERTY keyboard. At least that it is how it works on Pro1 QWERTZ.

You can start to make your own kcm file totally from scratch or select most matching kcm file for your need and then start to modify it. For my case, there was no Scandinavian layout available when I ordered Pro1. That is the reason why I ordered QWERTZ since it is the most matching to Scandinavian (includes Ö and Ä). Basically all what was needed to change was to swap Y <-> Z and replace Ü -> Å (+ some special characters). Luckily, I did not need to do it myself since the FinQwerty did the trick. But all that I would had to do was to pull German kcm file and make needed changes to that.

Here is an old tutorial that can be handy: https://xdaforums.com/t/tutorial-external-keyboard-remapping-3-0.1568760/

This tool is also great for checking that kcm file is in a right format: https://ris58h.github.io/validatekeymaps/

My case regarding remapping (special characters not marked):

image.png.64c33cdfcc341d19db4b488cb8859231.png

2 hours ago, zegoo said:

So, regarding LineageOS 21, i took a look into LineageOS-21 Fxtec_Pro1-X.kcm GitHub Repo, only one qwerty layout. 😔

I could make the right azerty kcm file by myself and also configuring the following file to right match with the kcm made but in don"t know how to build a personnal LOS21. 🤔

For Lineage OS it is totally different story but you do not need to build your own LOS build. And you don't even need root! Just download AZERTY_keymap below and modify it to your needs and place it to "/data/system/keyboard/keymap". However, the logic behind the file is difficult to understand. The conversation that I posted earlier has great info for start (start from this message).

I was able to swap Y <-> Z but I couldn't not replace Ü -> Å on LOS without root (Pro1, QWERTZ_keymap). The issue is that since German layout does not include Å, I cannot use German as a base. I need to select Finnish instead and make several changes to that. So far I have been lazy so I just use modified QWERTZ_keymap with Y <-> Z swap but without Å letter at all.

• Like 1

Finally, upgrade to LOS21 rooted with MindGapps. Very easy to do.

All is working fine ! The azerty layout provided directly on LOS21 is perfect ! No missed char ! Even AltGr access char available by the right yellow arrow key ! 😎👌

Next step ... Dual boot to try a Linux distro.

• Like 4

Same boat here, azerty layout works perfect in LOS21 but I will probably use this phone daily only if I could find a way to install a linux distro.

I tried an archlinux container in termux but it's unstable, will probably dig into an alpine container with busybox, was very stable in the old pro1.

I will report in this forum if I find a solution.

1 hour ago, raymo said:

[...] but I will probably use this phone daily only if I could find a way to install a linux distro.

I tried an archlinux container in termux but it's unstable, will probably dig into [...]

<off-topic>

In recent (12+) Android versions, you have to disable phantom process culling to run Linux distros in chroots, otherwise the OS will randomly kill your Linux programs. Google thinks this is a feature, but luckily they introduced toggles to switch it off in Android 13 and beyond. Requires some form of root access though.

I have Debian 11 running in a chroot of LOS20 on my Pro1-X, so it is technically feasible. Not using it daily though, as I like the OG Pro1 better.

</off topic>

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1