Will the Pro1 be supported by Google’s ARCore? This less a question of the hardware supporting it rather than apparently Google whitelisting each device after a certification, which worries me a bit with niche devices. Not a deal break either way, but I thought it would be nice to play around with it sometimes.

Posted this already the general unanswered question topic, but I don't think it'll get noticed at as it's already burried under the other posts.

btw. I see a few people posting as if they're working for f(x)tec, but it doesn't seem like there's any indicator for users who actually are. Might be an idea to have something like that.

Will the Pro1 be supported by Google's ARCore? This less a question of the hardware supporting it rather than apparently Google whitelisting each device after a certification, which worries me a bit with niche devices. Not a deal break either way, but I thought it would be nice to play around with it sometimes.

• 4 weeks later...
I hope this hasn’t been asked before, but will the pro be certified for ARCore?

It has been asked before, But I do not recall that there was an answer... (And I don't know the answer) But seeing some of the devices on the list, I do not see what should prevent the Pro¹ from being able to get certified. Though I guess they might want to be a little closer to final production design before sending a prototype for certification.

• 3 months later...

I tested sideloading the ARCore app today on a firmware build dated 12.07.2019, but the app i tried said 'AR not supported on this device.'. I did not have time to test more apps, maybe the first one I picked from the play store was just bad. the build was not 'approved' by google yet, but F(x)tec said they were about to get the gmo certificate stuff soon.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hello I'm recently played around with 3D scanning. Being mildly jealous on the iPhone 13 pro lidar sensor.
Whatever ARCode support would already help. I found some projects that could help with the Pro 1.

Seams like we could try to patch Pro 1 into the ARCore see here: https://github.com/thestr4ng3r/arcore-patch.
However Right now I don't have Linux on my private pc so It would be a pit of work for me to set it up. But maybe somebody else has some time and interest 😃.

I saw that the Pro supposedly has a depth sensor https://community.fxtec.com/topic/3066-whats-the-second-rear-camera-for/?tab=comments#comment-50938. I guess somebody would someone write special support for that and also I don't know what you get from the sensor. Maybe its more like a laser distance sensor then a depth camera.

P.S. I also found this website: https://arpost.co/2020/08/18/how-to-enable-arcore-on-any-android-device/ linking to some "random" apks. In general I would NOT recommend to install random apks from the internet.  Anyway I tried without any success.  

7 hours ago, Franz said:

I saw that the Pro supposedly has a depth sensor https://community.fxtec.com/topic/3066-whats-the-second-rear-camera-for/?tab=comments#comment-50938. I guess somebody would someone write special support for that and also I don't know what you get from the sensor. Maybe its more like a laser distance sensor then a depth camera.

I don't know what device model of distance sensor Pro1 has but I think that is the sensor intended for sensing if the phone is practically on one of your ears or not.
...also, as far as I know, it has two kind of signals - close or far - and even if it would be able to distinguish some distances, it would not has been designed to work farther than about 5 cm distance.

So I don't think it is a working idea and also sensor may not support real depth measuring at all...

Moreover, this kind of sensors usually use infrared LED - one which emits light and another one which senses it (or not), so these are not using laser diodes.