How does HDMI out at 2:1 work?

So supposedly we can use HDMI out from USB-c thru a dongle or hub. And our screen resolution is 2:1.

So I'm wondering what happens when I plug this into my 1080p 16:9 TV...

Assuming it's some type of mirror mode, do I get a letterboxed view on my TV? Or alternatively, does my phone suddenly pillarbox itself to 16:9 and rearrange my desktop or I dunno what?

Or say I play a 16:9 video. On the phone itself I expect pillarbox. But say I'm HDMI to my 16:9 TV, it'd would be annoying to have a 16:9 pillarbox inside a letterbox and have to figure out how to zoom with my tv...

Or maybe there's settings on the phone to select how to send it thru, stretch or zoom or pillarbox or letterbox or what? I dunno.

I dunno what's gunna happen and can only guess, and nothing seems ideal. I think the 2:1 sounds good for two apps side-by-side on the phone, if I ever actually use that, but 16:9 would be simpler for HDMI out, that's for sure.

Reading that thread you linked, seems on by default when plugged into 16:9 via usb-c then it does indeed just mirror and appear letterboxed. Sounds like Samsung included a video player that allowed 16:9 videos to play full screen (that doesn't support all formats) and VLC can do it too. So yep no worries, sounds good enuff.

• 3 months later...
On 10/15/2019 at 10:26 PM, Noir said:

have you ever had the chance to test usb-c to hdmi on the pro¹?

Bought one (£15) that arived today, and it seems to do HDMI just fine, both landscape and portrait. The icons looks a bit overwhelming in landscape on a 43" monitor though  😂

In landscape it Letterboxes on my current 16:9 screen, but in portrait I get gigantic side borders. Ending as 36% black + 28% display + 36 black. But in Landscape it is just fine with 5½% black + 89% display + 5½%. 

Though the monitor used might offer PIP or various split-modes, that could be useful. PIP could make a lot of sense on a large monitor.

Trying a restart, The display is broadcasted before requesting login password.

• Thanks 5
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2020 at 2:51 PM, EskeRahn said:

Bought one (£15) that arived today, and it seems to do HDMI just fine, both landscape and portrait. The icons looks a bit overwhelming in landscape on a 43" monitor though  😂

Is it possible to charge the phone when using the HDMI by connecting a charger to this hub? Or are the usb-ports working (for example memory sticks)?

13 minutes ago, OVK said:

Is it possible to charge the phone when using the HDMI by connecting a charger to this hub? Or are the usb-ports working (for example memory sticks)?

I have these adapters tested:

• Thanks 3
10 minutes ago, OVK said:

I have a dock with HDMI out and two usb ports (Aten US3310), using that one the phone charges while showing HDMI. External mouse and keyboard works fine as well.

In portrait mode there are lots of black padding to the left and right of the image on the screen. In landscape there is padding at top and bottom.

It would be nice if there was some way to get apps to zoom out when using external monitor so everything is reasonable sized.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm pretty sure VLC will display in 16:9. I'm going to see if I can pick up a USB type C - HDMI tomorrow. Is there any particular type to look out for, or is it just a bug standard, off the shelf Typ C - HDMI?
The video settings in VLC are quite comprehensive. There's something in Settings about cloning the device screen when connected via WiFi or HDMI.

• Like 1

There's quite a few  variations that are more like hubs than just usb-hdmi.  If you want to use it as a video player to a tv, I suggest look for one you can also charge from (they'll have a usb-c input to hook up charger).  Some of them will have built in usb hub or sd-card slots, etc. 

Edited by Craig
  • Like 2

Anyone tried USB-C-to-DisplayPort? Tried it with a S8 today and it started Dex, probably even at 4k (haven't checked the info of my screen).

I have a suitable cable, but am in bed already, so will give it a try. No Hub and probably no charging though since the S8 didn't offer either with this cable (it did offer sound though from what I remember).

• 4 months later...