F(x)tec Repairability plans for the Pro1

Seeing a crack in the glass, i guess it was dropped, and if it fell on a corner lines can occur (my X23 (no brand) has several colorful stripes on the right side of the screen, but still has functionality as touchscreen (although not visible)).

When looking at the parts picture, I get a slight deja vu regarding my Nokia E7 which taken apart looks nearly the same. (knowing the background of fxtec) heck, why bother reinventing the wheel, while the one you developed still runs.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks to your comment I've finally decided to publish my teardown guide I've been working on for some time 🙂 https://gelraen.github.io/fxtec-pro1-teardown/ (forum topic)

I took a series of photos in an effort to troubleshoot my drowned Pro1, hope they are of use. https://imgur.com/gallery/17bo7bI

Best pictures of the battery we have had so far!  Thanks! 👍

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, Stucadoor2 said:

A linear motor uses a driver which is a software issue, so by adjusting the driver you can increase or decrease the vibration of the motor.

There are hardware drivers (meaning a physical device that provides the AC current to the motor) and software drivers.  You are talking about the latter.  Do you have an app that interfaces with the software driver of the Pro1 to increase the amplitude AC wave that the hardware driver sends to the motor, to increase the vibration strength?

None of the apps I could find could increase the strength.  They could only increase the duration of the vibration or send patterns of off/on.

On 2/20/2020 at 1:15 PM, david said:

Ugh.  I just noticed there are no black stickers in what I ordered.  Lol

I ordered the "good" stickers (black, matte, vinyl) from the UK eBay, through a service that buys things on ebay within the UK and the ships them to the USA.

Edited by david
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, david said:

I ordered the "good" stickers (black, matte, vinyl) from the UK eBay, through a service that buys things on ebay within the UK and the ships them to the USA.

Can you tell me how?  I can't seem to find this exact size anywhere else (they are listed on US Ebay but still say won't ship to US).  Or sell me some of yours. 😄

4 hours ago, Hook said:

Can you tell me how?  I can't seem to find this exact size anywhere else (they are listed on US Ebay but still say won't ship to US).  Or sell me some of yours. 😄

I did a buy-it-now from here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/UK-GB-Parcel-Package-Forwarding-Shopping-Assistance-Service-Personal-Shopper/182997047405

In the notes for the seller, I put:  

I haven't received my invoice from them yet, but it is the weekend.  I ordered some screen ribbon cables for my Relay 4G phone a few months ago through them, and I did receive them.  Same situation, where they were not available in the USA, and the seller would not ship to the USA.  The company does seem to ship to other countries too.

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, david said:

I did a buy-it-now from here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/UK-GB-Parcel-Package-Forwarding-Shopping-Assistance-Service-Personal-Shopper/182997047405

In the notes for the seller, I put:  

I haven't received my invoice from them yet, but it is the weekend.  I ordered some screen ribbon cables for my Relay 4G phone a few months ago through them, and I did receive them.  Same situation, where they were not available in the USA, and the seller would not ship to the USA.  The company does seem to ship to other countries too.

1600?  Lol. how many Pro 1s do you have?  😄  I'll order the 1000 quantity offered.

16 minutes ago, Hook said:

1600?  Lol. how many Pro 1s do you have?  😄  I'll order the 1000 quantity offered.

I figured, for the extra 81 cents, I would get the extra stickers, since I would be paying 10 times the price with the service fee and shipping fees. 😁

I'll be prepared, in case I find a crate of Pro1s on the side of the road.  Or I open a repair business.  Or if they fall off often.  Or if it takes me hundreds of attempts to cut the non-circular ones at the corners of the keyboards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I just received and paid the PayPal invoice for this special ebay order.  It came out to $16.05, plus the original $9.99 for the service.  So $26.04 total for 1600 stickers, which should last me a while, if I don't lose them and if they work for this application.

Here is the breakdown, in British pounds:

image.thumb.png.98a5902f2544144bd2491d27190bbf37.png

• Like 2

Is there anyone in UK who would like to order directly from the original seller and forward few stickers to the community members (in Europe for example)? I can also use the forwarding service to Finland but I would rather pay for a community member. Also, I don't need 1600 stickers. I calculated that there are 11 or 12 stickers in Pro1 so 50-100 should be just fine for several repairs.

• Thanks 3
4 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

Is there anyone in UK who would like to order directly from the original seller and forward few stickers to the community members (in Europe for example)? I can also use the forwarding service to Finland but I would rather pay for a community member. Also, I don't need 1600 stickers. I calculated that there are 11 or 12 stickers in Pro1 so 50-100 should be just fine for several repairs.

We know from the help others thread that @Serolfic is in the UK, so maybe he would like to help.
But note that the seller does not say that they ONLY send to the OK, it just says

image.png.6cb16ebff30f48d38f06a2f19328e94e.png

So I have sent a mail asking for shipping charges. As it is just a matter of a plain envelope, I guess it can not be much. I mean should it be bent so we loose a few stickers it does not matter at all...

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

We know from the help others thread that @Serolfic is in the UK, so maybe he would like to help.
But note that the seller does not say that they ONLY send to the OK, it just says

image.png.6cb16ebff30f48d38f06a2f19328e94e.png

So I have sent a mail asking for shipping charges. As it is just a matter of a plain envelope, I guess it can not be much. I mean should it be bent so we loose a few stickers it does not matter at all...

I'm happy to help.

• Thanks 4
4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I just love the helpfulness of people in here, thanks. 🤗

Speaking of helping, I was going to mention I would be happy to be a US supplier of black dots to folks who need them.  I'll set aside what I need and then dole out to others as needed. There will be no cost to those I dole out to.  🙂

I count 7 black dots.  Anyone know if that's correct or are there ones under the keyboard I can't see?

Edited by Hook
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Hook said:

I count 7 black dots.  Anyone know if that's correct or are there ones under the keyboard I can't see

There are 9 stickers on back of the screen (2 in the corners that touch keyboard part) and at least 2 stickers on the keyboard part. There might also be 3rd in the middle but it is hard to see.

35 minutes ago, Serolfic said:

(then again I'm on holiday for the middle three weeks in March so there will be limited help in that period)

Thanks, I can pay something for the effort but we can also wait if EskeRahn gets a respond from the seller. I am not in hurry.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2020 at 1:09 PM, david said:

I tried to buy on the USA ebay and they would not ship to my address.  Not sure why they are listed there.

I did find a different seller.  They did not mention vinyl and did not allow picking color or finish, but I bought some.

On 2/20/2020 at 1:15 PM, david said:

Ugh.  I just noticed there are no black stickers in what I ordered.  Lol

Well, the non-black stickers just arrived from Japan.  So if anyone else from the USA wants to order the wrong stickers, plan on 15 days delivery time. :-)

• Haha 3
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got my shipment of 1600 black dots from the UK.  It's 8 sheets of 200 dots.  They look perfect for the Pro1 screw covers.  Whats more, I believe cutting one dot in half would work for the keyboard corners. Lol.  1600. 😄 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Hook said:

I just got my shipment of 1600 black dots from the UK.  It's 8 sheets of 200 dots.  They look perfect for the Pro1 screw covers.  Whats more, I believe cutting one dot in half would work for the keyboard corners. Lol.  1600. 😄 😎

I forgot to report that I got them too, last week or the weekend.  They are definitely vinyl too.  You have to be careful taking them off the sheets they are stuck to or they stretch and then don't want to stick anymore.  

I'm all set...now I just need about 160 Pro1s.  That many phones should last me until I'm non-operational....unless I reach escape velocity and stay on the right side of the life extension curve.  Even then, at 2 years for each phone, I figure I'll be good for a while. 

Now to find a box on the side of the road that fell off the fxtec truck....

• Haha 2

Oh dear, I just broke the screen of my Pro¹. I was sitting on the floor and the phone slipped from my pocket. It was only 10 cm drop! Everything still works but there is one crack across the glass. I just ordered replacement screen but I will also need those stickers.

@Serolfic can you order some stickers for me?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 3
2 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

Oh dear, I just broke the screen of my Pro¹. I was sitting on the floor and the phone slipped from my pocket. It was only 10 cm drop! Everything still works but there is one crack across the glass. I just ordered replacement screen but I will also need those stickers.

66c478a139760c6a35f969bb95fcdd6a.jpg.6cc374dfeaa2129199369c779798690b.jpg

• Haha 2
On 3/16/2020 at 11:21 PM, FlyingAntero said:

@Serolfic can you order some stickers for me?

@FlyingAntero, since you will be taking your phone part way apart anyway, which I believe voids the warranty, if you have a chance to take photos of both sides of the battery, that would be very helpful in possibly finding a source online where we can get them.  I realize you are replacing the screen, and might not need to open the bottom, but I'm just mentioning it since you will be doing some surgery anyway.

Also, close up pictures of the flex cable, flex cable connectors and USB port would all be valuable, as those are parts we might want to replace over time and currently don't know where to source them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, david said:

Also, close up pictures of the flex cable, flex cable connectors and USB port would all be valuable, as those are parts we might want to replace over time and currently don't know where to source them.

I think we would be extremely lucky if any of those are standard parts. But we can hope of course. I believe we do have a close up of the small pcb with the USB, but I might remember wrong.

ADD: We do got a fairly good image in the FCC doc, "photo 16" https://fccid.io/2AUCLQX1000/Internal-Photos/internal-Photos-4458316 , and the "T5_Main" on one connector, indicates it is custom)

Pro1_USB_PCB.jpg

Pro1_USB_PCB_back.thumb.jpg.26ec1edb126ae67ec29241806949e53d.jpg

Similar goes for the 3.5mm pcb

Pro1_3_5mm_PCB.jpg

• Like 1