Android Enterprise Recommended

21 minutes ago, Craig said:

It's not shown as recommended though. If I am right it needs to be available for direct purchase + support a couple of "bulk enrollment" things before it would be able to go on the recommended list: https://androidenterprisepartners.withgoogle.com/glossary/device/

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, elvissteinjr said:

Fast, easy and secure

Zero‑touch enrolment enables large-scale Android deployments across multiple device makers so that organisations can mobilise their employees with ease.

Can someone translate that into normal-speak? Does that mean employees can install some bit of software to allow corporate admins to fully administer the device, like install software and retrieve data?

26 minutes ago, abielins said:

Can someone translate that into normal-speak? Does that mean employees can install some bit of software to allow corporate admins to fully administer the device, like install software and retrieve data?

I read it as roll out, so you can configure say 100 devices without having to do a lot on each one by one.

• Thanks 2
  • 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, rkjnsn said:

I also need this for my work's BYOD policy. While I love having the keyboard, missing my work calendar is a bummer.

I tried to tick to only see the recommended, and only quite few manufacturers are on the list.

Not even Samsung is on the list, so I would not expect that it is something F(x)tec are aiming at using money to get certified for, unless it is super easy being as close to stock as they are.....

From some basic Googling, it sounds like once a device meets the requirements, certification is a matter of nominating the device and sending a sample device to Google for verification. As for meeting the requirements, it looks like the main thing missing is support for Zero-touch enrollment. I'm not sure how hard that would be to support, or whether it would expand the market for the phone enough to justify it, but I'd be willing to contribute a small amount toward making that happen.

I would not hold my breath on this. Just off the top of my head I can name several show stoppers that any "decent" "enterprise" (*) IT policy would require:

- Secure Boot is disabled.

- Security patch level is out of date.

- WiFi and BT MAC addresses are bogus.

(*) definitions of decent and enterprise may vary, and frequently do.

• Like 1

Obviously up-to-date security patches are required for AER. When I initially asked F(x)tec about security patches, they indicated that they were hoping to release monthly security updates for at least two years. Obviously, they've been focusing on other production priorities recently, but they indicated that the next push should include a new security patch level in addition to another round of bugfixes. They're just waiting for folks to come back to work to prepare the update, which they hope should be ready sometime in March. Not sure what the real world implications (and the impact on AER certification, if any) of the MAC addresses are, or secure boot versus just a locked bootloader, but I imagine AER certification and passing SafetyNet (which the Pro¹ already does) would be enough for many enterprises, as the idea behind requiring AER devices is to avoid vetting individual devices themselves.

I had asked the same message via Email and got the following response:

Unfortunately, we are not currently eligible for the "Android Enterprise Recommended" programme due to our scale being too small. This will improve in the future and we'll then be able to get it certified.

Feel free to let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

• Thanks 4