Network Compatibility

26 minutes ago, Craig said:

Then don't you have to change your pro1 iemi to the one from mule?  Which is not quite as simple...  or am I missing something else about this mule strategy?  Or is your goal to only use LTE and ignore CDMA?

Yes, essentially the strategy was to ignore CDMA, or hope it worked anyway. Certainly changing an IMEI to match a mule is not stupendously easy for most. With working LTE and VoLTE the phone should be fully functional with no CDMA at all, and as Verizon has stated their intention to decommission their CDMA equipment soon, it will all be moot soon.

• Like 1
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Known Networks: (updated 2/3/2020) 1&1 (DE): Must add APN manually to enable LTE data, no problems observed after adding APN from carrier web site (1 report) 3.dk (DK): Working with no p

I feel that having a one-stop shop for network compatibility information will be valuable. Please post as you attempt to use the Pro1 with the various networks, and the experience you have. I will mai

It would be good if you could list any settings you needed to change in order to get it working for a given carrier too (like Craig listed that he had to add an APN).

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, windraver said:

So Mule activation is essentially moving a sim card from an existing phone over to the Pro1?

If thats the case, whenever it is I get my stock assigned, and then delivered... I can test that for Verizon. ☹️

Sometimes it requires a fresh sim and newer phone that is *currently* supported for Verizon.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Craig said:

Then don't you have to change your pro1 iemi to the one from mule?  Which is not quite as simple...  or am I missing something else about this mule strategy?  Or is your goal to only use LTE and ignore CDMA?

If Verizon won't allow the device onto the network after the SIM swap, then changing your IMEI should solve this problem, but there will still be problems with CDMA without also changing the MEID  It's the MEID that's used for CDMA authentication.

42 minutes ago, silversolver said:

It will often require a fresh SIM and ALWAYS a phone that is currently supported.

Correct.

Edited by Polaris
  • Like 1

I ended up buying sequestris' pro 1 who reported the trouble on T-Mobile. I was able to get it running by manually adding the APN posted on T-mobile's site. So far I have only seen it attach to bands 2 and 4, and the signal meter on the status bar says "4G" instead of "LTE." From what i can find online it could be using the old 4G service since bands 2 and 4 are also used for that, or it could be the rom simply calling LTE 4G which is still technically correct (apparently some asop based roms do this). I can't say for certain based on speed since the two areas I've had the phone in didn't get great reception on both the pro1 and my pixel 3. SMS and MMS are working as intended as are calls. Wifi calling shows up in settings when you search, but selecting the option from search results takes you to the mobile data settings where the wifi calling option is notably absent.

For others who have successfully activated their phone in the US, does your status bar say 4G or LTE?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, david said:

Sometimes it requires a fresh sim and newer phone that is *currently* supported for Verizon.

1 hour ago, david said:

Yeah, that's what I meant, but wasn't clear.

I thought you were clear, and also correct.  Both you and silversolver seem to have a handle on the procedure. 🙂  I think silversolver and I were just reading posts, and responding before we got to yours.  We are all saying the same thing.

Now let's all just hope it still works!

AT&T US - 

Unable to get the new SIM card to work in this phone.  (it worked in other devices)

The tech tried repeatedly, put the card in both the SIM positions - no luck.

He suggested in his experience either the phone was locked (doubtful), or the SIM connector defective hardware.  Very disappointing.  Any suggestions welcome.

22 minutes ago, cathstoll said:

AT&T US - 

Unable to get the new SIM card to work in this phone.  (it worked in other devices)

The tech tried repeatedly, put the card in both the SIM positions - no luck.

He suggested in his experience either the phone was locked (doubtful), or the SIM connector defective hardware.  Very disappointing.  Any suggestions welcome.

As per @Waxberry's post:

For future units the default setting of bootloader will be locked and device will show certified by default.

If it is a newer phone, the bootloader will be locked by default.  If you need to unlock the phone to get it to work on AT&T, then you might need to go through that process.  There are multiple other people who have gotten the phone to work on AT&T, but maybe they have phones that came unlocked?

Maybe the tech inserted the SIM incorrectly? I believe @Craig is on an AT&T MVNO (FreedomPop).  Here is how he inserted the SIM: 

He had to add a custom APN though too.

Edited by david
4 minutes ago, david said:

As per @Waxberry's post:

If it is a newer phone, the bootloader will be locked by default.  If you need to unlock the phone to get it to work on AT&T, then you might need to go through that process.  There are multiple other people who have gotten the phone to work on AT&T, but maybe they have phones that came unlocked?

Maybe the tech inserted the SIM incorrectly? I believe @Craig is on an AT&T MVNO (FreedomPop).  Here is how he inserted the SIM: 

He had to add a custom APN though too.

It may have been just a cover everything suggestion, But I can't imagine why any phone would need the bootloader unlocked to get a SIM card working (yes, my bootloader is unlocked, but I don't think that's why I was successful).  I do think the SIM drawer is tricky. The seat for the card is not as well defined as on some drawers and it is tricky to not dislodge it on the way in.  Of course, I used the SIM crd slot on the tip, not the one near the handle that Craig looks like he used because that second slot has my 256 GB SD.  It might be easier to use that second slot.

My AT&T tech had no problem with it, but I had a tougher time when I was playing round trying my Verizon SIM.

Given the misery that deciding it's a hardware flaw will bring, I would try going once more to AT&T and get a different tech if you can.  Make sure also is sure the gold side of the chip is facing the back of the phone.  another consequence of the SIM tray not being clearly defined, it's easy to try the SIM wrong side up (it doesn't have a clear frame that shows the angled corner of the SIM).

I'm not saying it isn't hardware, but it's worth triple checking every other possibility.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Hook said:

It may have been just a cover everything suggestion, But I can't imagine why any phone would need the bootloader unlocked to get a SIM card working (yes, my bootloader is unlocked, but I don't think that's why I was successful).  I do think the SIM drawer is tricky. The seat for the card is not as well defined as on some drawers and it is tricky to not dislodge it on the way in.  Of course, I used the SIM crd slot on the tip, not the one near the handle that Craig looks like he used because that second slot has my 256 GB SD.  It might be easier to use that second slot.

My AT&T tech had no problem with it, but I had a tougher time when I was playing round trying my Verizon SIM.

Given the misery that deciding it's a hardware flaw will bring, I would try going once more to AT&T and get a different tech if you can.  Make sure also is sure the gold side of the chip is facing the back of the phone.  another consequence of the SIM tray not being clearly defined, it's easy to try the SIM wrong side up (it doesn't have a clear frame that shows the angled corner of the SIM).

I'm not saying it isn't hardware, but it's worth triple checking every other possibility.

Yep, that's my guess too (SIM inserted incorrectly).  That's why I figured he could mimic what Craig did.  I was very surprised when Craig was doing it that the SIM tray isn't keyed.  Seems like something fxtec should consider down the road.  Maybe even for later production unit Pro1s, if they are able to get different trays.

Did you have to add a custom AT&T APN, @Hook?  And was your SIM brand new, or was already in an AT&T phone before?

Edited by david
1 minute ago, david said:

Yep, that's my guess too (SIM inserted incorrectly).  That's why I figured he could mimic what Craig did.  I was very surprised when Craig was doing it that the SIM tray isn't keyed.  Seems like something fxtec should consider down the road.  Maybe even for later production unit Pro1s, if they are able to get different trays.

Did you have to add a custom AT&T APN, @Hook?  And was your SIM brand new, or was already in an AT&T phone before?

My SIM was brand new.  I used AT&T years ago, so I knew they would work when Verizon failed to let me on their network.  And, no, I needed no added APN.  That might be because Craig is on an MNVO.

6 minutes ago, Hook said:

I can't imagine why any phone would need the bootloader unlocked to get a SIM card working

Yes, I agree.  The technician was actually suggesting that he had seen that behavior in phones that were locked to a wireless provider network, ie sold by Verizon, only work on Verizon network until/unless unlocked by the carrier at the owners request (after the contract has been fulfilled).  So locked to a different carrier, vs a locked bootloader (as David suggested).  I explained that the phone was from an independent manufacturer, and was never associated with any carrier. 

I took the SIM card instructions with me.  The directions suggest holding the phone face DOWN (opposite of Craig's video) then setting the SIM card in, contact side down (towards the face of the phone).   The tech was sitting across a small table and did that.  Looking at Craig's video - he had the phone face up and looks like SIM goes face up in that case?  It was a little hard to see?  Gotta love the Trans-Siberian Orchestra background music though  :-)

Thanks to both you and David for the suggestions, I am not giving up!  I intend to take the phone over to T-Mobile tomorrow, and take another pass at it.  I looked up the APN setting first, big thanks to those who shared that experience!

13 minutes ago, cathstoll said:

Yes, I agree.  The technician was actually suggesting that he had seen that behavior in phones that were locked to a wireless provider network, ie sold by Verizon, only work on Verizon network until/unless unlocked by the carrier at the owners request (after the contract has been fulfilled).  So locked to a different carrier, vs a locked bootloader (as David suggested).  I explained that the phone was from an independent manufacturer, and was never associated with any carrier. 

Ah, that makes perfect sense.  Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem with this phone, obviously.

13 minutes ago, cathstoll said:

I took the SIM card instructions with me.  The directions suggest holding the phone face DOWN (opposite of Craig's video) then setting the SIM card in, contact side down (towards the face of the phone).   The tech was sitting across a small table and did that.  Looking at Craig's video - he had the phone face up and looks like SIM goes face up in that case?  It was a little hard to see?  Gotta love the Trans-Siberian Orchestra background music though  :-)

I see it as him trying it phone face up at first, but the SIM falls out (before the timeframe I link to in the youtube video), so he then flips the phone around, so it is face down, and then inserts it with the SIM face up.  Maybe the instructions are wrong?  LOL  I could be seeing it wrong in the video, but that's what I thought I saw.

35 minutes ago, Hook said:

the gold side of the chip is facing the back of the phone

Gold side to the back,  got it.  Maybe I'll just download this video onto a tablet and take it with.  Can't hurt, might help. 

As a side note, the black plastic drawer facing on the SIM drawer is loose.  It's wiggly, and will pull away enough to see the 4 support posts connecting it to the metal drawer. Is anybody else noticing that?  The tech specifically mentioned it and that I should be very careful with it; maybe is why he guessed SIM connector error.  

The SIM tray does have an angled corner to help guide you, but you have to flip the phone face down to see it because the card mounts on the bottom side. Of course it won't help if you flat out have it upside down.

Sim_Tray.thumb.jpg.e3a1361421ab2104d7564fc3acd0c1e9.jpg 

Edited by cathstoll
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, cathstoll said:

Gold side to the back,  got it.  Maybe I'll just download this video onto a tablet and take it with.  Can't hurt, might help. 

As a side note, the black plastic drawer facing on the SIM drawer is loose.  It's wiggly, and will pull away enough to see the 4 support posts connecting it to the metal drawer. Is anybody else noticing that?  The tech specifically mentioned it and that I should be very careful with it; maybe is why he guessed SIM connector error.  

The SIM tray does have an angled corner to help guide you, but you have to flip the phone face down to see it because the card mounts on the bottom side.Sim_Tray.thumb.jpg.e3a1361421ab2104d7564fc3acd0c1e9.jpg 

Thanks for the picture.  I just assumed it wan't keyed, because it took Craig a bit to get it in there and I figured it wouldn't fit in there wrong if it was keyed.  The keying isn't as apparent when trying to put the SIM in the combined SD card location, it seems.

One other thing to note is that blown up that much, yes you see the frame very clearly.  It is not as clear IRL with these old eyes.  The old eyes are my problem.  But that frame is also not substantial enough to keep the SIM card held firmly despite having the correct shape.  So, even when you have the SIM in correctly, you have to be careful sliding it in.  At least that's my experience,but I'll be happy to learn I'm just a hopeless klutz (and would never rule out that theory 🙄 )

6 minutes ago, Hook said:

It is not as clear IRL

True that!  The tech and I had to get up close and personal with the tray to see it.  It's still entirely possible that we had it upside down, or slid off-center, or who knows what.

Thank you all for your input and suggestions; this is a great community.   I intend to take the phone over to T-Mobile tomorrow to have them try both slots both ways, and see how that goes.   I want to rule out error, incompatibility, etc before I resort to sending this lovely phone back.  I've been playing with it for 2 days, updating everything via WiFi and USB and transferring my data, and I don't want to let it go! 

"My precious..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Hook said:

One other thing to note is that blown up that much, yes you see the frame very clearly.  It is not as clear IRL with these old eyes.  The old eyes are my problem.  But that frame is also not substantial enough to keep the SIM card held firmly despite having the correct shape.  So, even when you have the SIM in correctly, you have to be careful sliding it in.  At least that's my experience,but I'll be happy to learn I'm just a hopeless klutz (and would never rule out that theory 🙄 )

I have a cellular router that takes a larger SIM size than the AT&T SIM I have for it.  I had to use an upsizing adapter for it and that adapter and/or the SIM slot would allow the SIM to fall out/move around too much, so tape was used on the bottom side of the adapter to keep that little bugger in place.  Similar (no pun intended) deal, where it didn't really snap into the adapter.

I'll be able to use that AT&T SIM to test the Pro1 too, but only for data.  That SIM won't allow phone calls, as it is technically a tablet data-only plan.  I do need a Pro1 to conduct that test though.  Einstein thought experiments just don't cut it in this case. 😂

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, cathstoll said:

I intend to take the phone over to T-Mobile tomorrow to have them try both slots both ways, and see how that goes.  

You shouldn't be able to try it both ways, with the keying.  Unless the other side of the tray is recessed too?  If that is the case, someone needs an empty glove across the face (the engineer who designed it). 😂

47 minutes ago, cathstoll said:

I want to rule out error, incompatibility, etc before I resort to sending this lovely phone back.  I've been playing with it for 2 days, updating everything via WiFi and USB and transferring my data, and I don't want to let it go! 

"My precious..."

I don't see many people letting this thing go!  We've all been psychologically programmed to be addicted to it before ever getting our hands on it.