Reccommend gcam port for Pro¹?

I tried version 7.2 for pixel, but it doesn't recognize our camera button.  The shutter sound works tho, unlike stock snapdragon camera.

I see there's lotsa different gcam ports.  Anyone know one that works well with Pro¹?   Maybe a device that has a camera button (assuming pixel doesnt...)?

Edited by Craig
  • Like 2
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Based on your description it seems that Snapdragon camera is hardcoded to the camera button. I think this is a bug, as it should launch the default camera.

I tried key mapper from f-droid.  I was able to map camera button longpress to open gcam or default cam  (and change quite a few other things while i was at it) but dont see a way to make focus/shutte

Personally I have been using "Open Camera" since about  day one - and it is doing a great job - less HDR.

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Craig said:

I tried version 7.2 for pixel, but it doesn't recognize our camera button.  The shutter sound works tho, unlike stock snapdragon camera.

I see there's lotsa different gcam ports.  Anyone know one that works well with Pro¹?   Maybe a device that has a camera button (assuming pixel doesnt...)?

Pixel 3 is the one that shares the same camera hardware for the main camera.  Are the ports Pixel number specific?

No camera button on the pixels.

2 hours ago, david said:

Other than the button not working, did the software take pictures well with the Pro1 cameras?

It takes pictures as far as I could tell.  I can't really judge photos and don't take good photos.  My goal was to see if there's a way around two functional problems in the stock camera app (until they're fixed in an update hopefully); no shutter sound and no link to gallery when launched with camera button.

I did try another gcam port, Arnova8G2's Google Camera Port 6.2, but it wanted to overwrite/update the stock camera app, and when I decided to let it try, it failed to install anyway.

Edited by Craig

gcam port doesn't even start when I push the camera button, so I cannot test it that way.  Like the stock snapdragon app, it does show thumbnail link to gallery when launched from the icon.

I checked every setting in the gcam app I could find, the only two about buttons are to make the volume control act as shutter or zoom.   I looked in all the phones settings and dont recall seeing anything (unlike CM/LOS settings where there was a toggle to launch camera app with longpress).

What I've read about gcam ports is that it's trial and error until you find what works best for our device, then recommend it to other people with same device, until someone makes a port with our phone in mind.  I'm sure as more people get devices someone will test out all the features on that pixel gcam port and see if everything works and if anything better photo wise than stock camera app, but that's not me, all I want is the camera button to work as expected.  Might even be someone who modifies it just for us, or fxtec or qualcomm might push an update out and fix the stock app.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1

I think divstar is asking about going into app info and setting gcam as the default camera app.  Maybe fxtec set it up so that the button is tied to the default app, not just tied to that particular snapdragon app.

Another possibility would be a 3rd party button mapper app.

If you are in the gcam app and use the button, does it launch the snapdragon app?

1 hour ago, david said:

If you are in the gcam app and use the button, does it launch the snapdragon app?

Longpress still launches the snapdragon app, even if gcam set to default camera.   And can't disable Snapdragon camera apparently, even after force stop.

There is a phone setting to set double press of power button to launch camera.  That works, and will launch whatever camera is set as default.  But button still doesnt work as shutter, presumably cuz the app I'm trying designed for pixel which doesnt have camera button.

4 hours ago, kontakt said:

Based on your description it seems that Snapdragon camera is hardcoded to the camera button.
I think this is a bug, as it should launch the default camera.

Agreed.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Craig said:

Longpress still launches the snapdragon app, even if gcam set to default camera.   And can't disable Snapdragon camera apparently, even after force stop.

There is a phone setting to set double press of power button to launch camera.  That works, and will launch whatever camera is set as default.  But button still doesnt work as shutter, presumably cuz the app I'm trying designed for pixel which doesnt have camera button.

Have you tried to remap the camera button with 3rd party app? Like Remap buttons and gestures or Button Mapper? The first one works on my XZ1 Compact.

I tried key mapper from f-droid.  I was able to map camera button longpress to open gcam or default cam  (and change quite a few other things while i was at it) but dont see a way to make focus/shutter work.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • 1 month later...
On 12/17/2019 at 4:40 AM, Craig said:

The one I tried is described as "[GCam] Camera PX for Google Pixel 1 / 2 / 3 / 3a / 4" from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/google-camera-mods/gcam-google-pixel-1-2-3-t3875663

But I'm happy to try any other one that might work.

Have you tried Night Sight with this Gcam port? I noticed that viewfinder is upside down if you select Night Sight. However, the picture is right way in the gallery. Other than that, Camera PX for Google Pixel seems to work OK (no camera button thought).

I tried also camera port for Pocophone F1 since it has same 12MP IMX363 sensor and 5 MP depth sensor. However, it has same issue than Camera PX for Google Pixel.

Edited by FlyingAntero
49 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

Have you tried Night Sight with this Gcam port? I noticed that viewfinder is upside down if you select Night Sight. However, the picture is right way in the gallery. Other than that, Camera PX for Google Pixel seems to work OK (no camera button thought).

I tried also camera port for Pocophone F1 since it has same 12MP IMX363 sensor and 5 MP depth sensor. However, it has same issue than Camera PX for Google Pixel.

Do you think that it is using the 5 MP sensor to take better pictures than the Camera PX without using the depth sensor?

49 minutes ago, david said:

Do you think that it is using the 5 MP sensor to take better pictures than the Camera PX without using the depth sensor?

I have just played a little with it so I don't know yet. Also, I am not sure if it uses depth sensor even so Pocophone has similar camera setup.

I noticed that Arnova8G2's port has a setting to rotate viewfinder but I am not able to install Arnova8G2's port to Pro1. However, we could use the same method to fix pocophone/pixel port to Pro1.

"Also, those who have night sight portrait viewfinder flipped upside down should go to More > Settings > [Photo] Advanced > Image Rotation toggle ON. (or go into your config xml file and change pref_ns_image_rotation_key value from 0 to 1)."

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, jjarmasz said:

So... is the consensus still that all the known Gcam ports are still a bit janky on the Pro1? Coming from a Pixel I would love it if there was a reliable port for the Pro1 with good Nightsight...

That Pixel mod seems to be really good except for the Night Sight -- This is the only bit of 'jank'. I'm not sure how to configure the Gcam ports though as I haven't had time to look into how you change the config (this port doesn't seem to have the settings mentioned in FlyingAntero's post).

But that aside, the picture quality is miles better than the Stock Camera. It's worth installing just for that. The selfie portraits come out pretty well as well.

• Like 1

The rotated Nightsight viewfinder is definitely disconcerting but it still works - cool, you just have to frame the shot in normal camera mode 🙂

So far I've any tried the PX one and it's great. And I'm happy to launch it with a double press of the power button. Anyone had a chance to seriously compare the Pocophone and PX ones yet?

1 hour ago, jjarmasz said:

Anyone had a chance to seriously compare the Pocophone and PX ones yet?

I'd like to know this too, since, in theory, the Pocophone version could do better with focusing, due to the possibility it is using the depth sensor.

1 hour ago, david said:

I'd like to know this too, since, in theory, the Pocophone version could do better with focusing, due to the possibility it is using the depth sensor.

Interestingly you can install both side-by-side. And TBH the only difference I have noticed so far is the UI, the Pocophone port uses the older Gcam UI. And both have the additional bug with the Nightsight viewfinder that it freezes if the light level is too low, but starts up again if you point it at brighter light.

• Thanks 1

I noticed that Night Sight doesn't work right on Pixel Gcam port. The image quality in jank like @Serolfic mentioned. However, on Pocophone Gcam port Night Sight is working great except that viewfinder is upside down. So these two port are working differently on Pro1. I think that we should try to fix Pocophone Gcam port for Pro1. Has anyone built APK before. It shouldn't not be hard to changes those lines if you know what to do.

Example photos (low light situation)

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

I noticed that Night Sight doesn't work right on Pixel Gcam port. The image quality in jank like @Serolfic mentioned. However, on Pocophone Gcam port Night Sight is working great except that viewfinder is upside down. So these two port are working differently on Pro1. I think that we should try to fix Pocophone Gcam port for Pro1. Has anyone built APK before. It shouldn't not be hard to changes those lines if you know what to do.

Example photos (low light situation)

Are you really seeing a big difference between both apps in Nightside mode? I'm finding both pretty much the same - both apps have the viewfinder rotated upside down, in both the viewfinder freezes when the light is too low, but both somehow also produce good and just about identical pictures for me.