3 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

Is [tab] recognized in Android?

Tab is supported pretty well by android itself. Alt-tab, for example, can be used to switch apps.

Specific apps seem to vary quite a bit in how they treat Tab.

I don't particularly care about generic android apps... My use cases are not "use regular android apps with a keyboard" but rather "use apps designed for a full keyboard." The latter category support Tab just fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, zurvan2 said:

Is there a way to rearrange the physical keys to match the layout from finQwerty?

You lost me? Do you mean to have the render more precisely match the 'staggering' of the key-grid, rather than the rectangular grid?

If you mean if we can open and move the key-tops individually, then I doubt it, it is a 'mat'. So would require to cut this up, and rearrange. I doubt that would work well.

2 hours ago, zurvan2 said:

Yes, the keycaps. The renders don't include a bunch of keys along the left hand side... I think I could deal with a few keys not being labeled correctly, but not with the whole layout shifted.

The one I posted was for QWERTZ keyboard.  Which already starts with the letters unshifted, so the only letters that dont match print are z and y.  It's the symbols that wont match up very well, and those are the ones that are harder to remember than letters as they're not standard... so that is a big downside.

The version for shifted qwerty keyboard cannot be the same cuz layout itself is different.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1
On 12/17/2019 at 9:08 AM, kontakt said:

Regarding 2.1.2: WiFi Calling: Another user reported working wifi calling with T-mobile after getting the phone "approved" by them.

That would be me.
I have been with T-Mobile since 1998.
I don't know what specifically to ask for because when I called, they just said hold on a sec and then enabled my friend's (who is on my account) Pro1 and he got wifi calling.

When I get mine I will let you know what specifically they do to enable it, but I have no clue when I will receive it. I'm betting on April-June.

On 12/17/2019 at 10:53 AM, Hook said:

Great review, @zurvan2 I agree pretty much with everything.

This is by far the best Android phone I have ever owned (previously a title held by my Nexus 5 which I had 4 years).  Although I felt this way long before I had a Pro 1 to hold in my hands, I just shake my head at people saying that the phones specs are aging.  The phone has exactly what it needs to create a completely premium experience.

On the fingerprint sensor, I just find it difficult, but not a problem as I prefer no to use it.  In fact, I have my lockscreen set to swipe.  I also plan to carry it without a case.  Despite some slickness, it seems to me the weight helps it settle firmly in the hand.  Guess I'm just a risk taker.  😉 However, I would never put any phone or PDA in my shirt pocket.  My devices have always had the left front pocket of my pants reserved for them.

Great comments all around.

I still have my Nexus 5. It's running KitKat 4.4.2. That's the device I am replacing because sometimes it keeps rebooting itself and the camera sucks in low light.
I have had this little guy since 2012 😄

• Like 1
10 hours ago, zurvan2 said:

Tab is supported pretty well by android itself. Alt-tab, for example, can be used to switch apps.

Specific apps seem to vary quite a bit in how they treat Tab.

I don't particularly care about generic android apps... My use cases are not "use regular android apps with a keyboard" but rather "use apps designed for a full keyboard." The latter category support Tab just fine.

True! I remember using this with the Droid 4. So it's a software issue with the virtual keyboard.

Thanks for clarifying!

• 10 months later...
6 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Nice review. A tiny detail. The keyboard is not held by the two screws at the front. The keyboard is attached with some adhesive.

Hmm i always though there is a plate on top of the bottom half that can be removed by screws, on which there's a flexible PCB glued and then a mat with keycaps, meaning you would have to detach adhesive if you wanted to replace the keymat or the keyboard PCB separately but not for accessing say the battery etc. I haven't taken it apart though, but i'm going from pictures like here https://matland.be/pro1disassembly.pdf. Where 9, 10 and 11 would not be necessary for accessing most things (including battery) since the importance of that is just to reach the bottom 2 screws in step 12 which are under stickers on production version.

I do see looking at those pictures that replacing the keyboard would mean needing to delaminate the existing one as everything else is attached to the same assembly, had not paid close attention to that.

Edited by netman
5 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Yes then I misunderstood. I believe we can disassemble the phone with screws only, if you see the frame, the key-pcb and the keyboard as one unit.

I shoulda been more clear about that in the video probably, I may addendum in the description if i can figure out how to word it non-confusingly.

• Like 1