Memory Cards. Recommendations and Suggestions.

Just now, david said:

I had errors on win 10, 64 bit, MTP (yeah, they dumbed down that one, but not ptp or midi, lol) and PTP without USB debugging enabled, but not with it enabled.  That was on the 20191203 firmware.  I haven't tried on the 20200106 firmware.  Which are you on? 

It would be interesting to see if you have the same issue with PTP.

I'm on the 20200106 firmware but can't swear right now whether I was at the time.

• Like 1
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They sure don't make it easy, do they?  With all the various specs and changing them every year.  I spent some time researching (no real world testing, myself) and here is what I came away with:

Aha, I just tried my last idea: reboot. I needed a reboot to get the sdcard recognized. Strange but working.

Tested with 512GB of card and it works fine. I think it should work up to 2TB.

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, david said:

By the way, does the SD card show for you in Windows when connected via PTP?

Nope.  Not sure I would expect it to.  But I've never ever used PTP with an Android device.  Never found a reason to.

12 minutes ago, Hook said:

Nope.  Not sure I would expect it to.  But I've never ever used PTP with an Android device.  Never found a reason to.

Never uses PTP either, but it CAN make sense if you want to show images on some computer you are not 100% happy connecting to. As the PC is not supposed to be able to access other than the photostuff. (the pc can still copy/delete/modify those, but should not be able to do it outside the picture folders)

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Hook said:

I've see it sometimes show up for the Pro1, but rarely.  I believe this is the main mode I use to access my SD card on my old Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G, currently.  But I've been through several rounds of installing different drivers over the years, so there could have been a point where I could use MTP on that.

So I have a SanDisk 256GB Extreme MicroSDXC UHS-I Memory Card (SDSQXA1-256G-GN6MA) in my Pro1.  It is formatted as fat32 by the phone and used as external storage.  I haven't used more then 32gb yet.

Because of what I've read in this thread, can someone clear this up for me?  Will I be able to plug the phone into my windows 7 pc and be able to read / write more then 32 GB of files or is it going to act like that is all that exists?

8 hours ago, KingOfTerrible said:

So I have a SanDisk 256GB Extreme MicroSDXC UHS-I Memory Card (SDSQXA1-256G-GN6MA) in my Pro1.  It is formatted as fat32 by the phone and used as external storage.  I haven't used more then 32gb yet.

Because of what I've read in this thread, can someone clear this up for me?  Will I be able to plug the phone into my windows 7 pc and be able to read / write more then 32 GB of files or is it going to act like that is all that exists?

Provided it is a genuine card, you should be fine.  Cards larger than 32 GB come preformatted as exFAT, and can handle file sizes greater than 4 GB.  But you can reformat them for FAT32.  You just lose the ability to have files larger than 4 GB.

Now, as a separate issue, whether you can easily access the card through the phone, when the phone is plugged into a Windows 7 machine...  I can't on my Windows 7 machine.  If I enable USB debugging, I can get the internal storage to show up under PTP, but I don't see internal nor external storage when I pick "File transfers" (MTP) mode.  I do see it on a windows 10 machine.  I'd be very curious if you can see the phone when you pick "File transfers" on your Windows 7 machine.

If you can't see it, there are other ways to transfer the data other than MTP, and we can go from there if you aren't getting the phone to register via MTP.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, david said:

Provided it is a genuine card, you should be fine.  Cards larger than 32 GB come preformatted as exFAT, and can handle file sizes greater than 4 GB.  But you can reformat them for FAT32.  You just lose the ability to have files larger than 4 GB.

Now, as a separate issue, whether you can easily access the card through the phone, when the phone is plugged into a Windows 7 machine...  I can't on my Windows 7 machine.  If I enable USB debugging, I can get the internal storage to show up under PTP, but I don't see internal nor external storage when I pick "File transfers" (MTP) mode.  I do see it on a windows 10 machine.  I'd be very curious if you can see the phone when you pick "File transfers" on your Windows 7 machine.

If you can't see it, there are other ways to transfer the data other than MTP, and we can go from there if you aren't getting the phone to register via MTP.

Is this of any use?  I would have thought the update would have already been provided OTA, but I don't know (and no longer have Windows 7).  Since I had Nexus devices when I had Windows 7 I have no idea if it could read larger cards or not.  😄

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/976422/the-capacity-of-a-secure-digital-sd-card-that-is-larger-than-32-gb-is

Or is that page OBE?

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Hook said:

Is this of any use?  I would have thought the update would have already been provided OTA, but I don't know (and no longer have Windows 7).  Since I had Nexus devices when I had Windows 7 I have no idea if it could read larger cards or not.  😄

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/976422/the-capacity-of-a-secure-digital-sd-card-that-is-larger-than-32-gb-is

Or is that page OBE?

I haven't encountered that problem before.  I too would have assumed it was in a windows update a long time ago, since that is dated in 2009.

But that is when reading cards directly.  The problem with the phone not being seen properly in windows 7, through USB, seems to be more of an interaction with the phone USB drivers of windows and the phone firmware.

What does OBE stand for?

1 hour ago, Hook said:

Overcome By Events... sorry, I should have just said "outdated" 😄

If someone hasn't updated Windows 7 in 11 years, they would be a bit outdated.  Lol