Sign in to follow this  
david

WiFi signal strength

I'm creating this topic for people to discuss the WiFi signal strength of their Pro1 phones.  This can be used to report on tests that have been done and any tips for improving the signal strength, hence the range of the device and the speed of data transfers at greater distances.

One idea is for people to install an app like Wifi Analyzer (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_US) and report what it shows for the Pro1 vs other phones, at the same distance from the wireless access point.  This is a screenshot from the Play Store, not from my Pro1, but it shows how the app shows the signal strength in dBm.  The values will always be negative values.  Values closer to 0 (zero) are stronger than values further away from 0.

dBm values are logarithmic scale.  Every 10 dBm lower in value (closer to zero) represents TEN TIMES the signal strength.  Every 3 dBm lower in value represents about *TWICE* the signal strength.

NOTE:  It is the difference between devices that is important.  The raw values don't mean as much, because obstacles and distance and interference from other access points can all affect them.  The question is, how does the Pro1 behave *compared* to other wireless devices.

The frequency matters too.  The lower higher the frequency, the lower the range.  5.8 GHz frequencies won't travel as far as 2.4 GHz frequencies.

Screenshot Image

I just did a very basic test with a Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G, a Pixel 1, and the Pro1, about 7 or 8 feet from my access point.  Here are the lowest (best) values I got in several minutes of watching the phones for channel 149, which is a 5.8 GHz channel, with a frequency of 5745 MHz.  The values did move around higher sometimes, but these were the lowest (best) values.

Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G = -25 dBm

Pixel 1 = -25 dBm

Pro1 = -40 dBm

This means that the best values for the Pro1 were 15 dBm different from the other two phones, which represents over 30 times lower power.  Now, that doesn't  mean that performance would necessarily be worse at that range.  However, as range increases, the performance will likely degrade with the Pro1 before it does with the other two phones.

• Like 1

well have not done any tests yet but i noticed a very weak signal on the 2.4g range.