Build in launcher discussions

Im used to have agenda widget at home screen 6 rows high (portrait mode). Im using Pure calendar widget (or widget form aCalendar+). Im not able to make it higher than 4 rows... Is it due to size limitation of landscape? Or some launcher optimalizations?

I suspect you need to change display size in settings to make it smaller than you currently have it. I'm guessing at the current display size, 3 rows is the maximum you have room for.

However, just a guess.  I might be wrong.

• Like 1

Thank you. I have smallest fonts and text sizes at display settings. Space at screen is 5x8 icons. Lot of space is bellow widget. I cannot do it even on another empty screen. Its something about "maximum height" of widget..

I have tested it again and any widget (even google calendar, dialer...) cannot be higher than 4 icons (which is maximum landescape size).

(And yes, I have restarted phone.)

19 minutes ago, ycs said:

Thank you. I have smallest fonts and text sizes at display settings. Space at screen is 5x8 icons. Lot of space is bellow widget. I cannot do it even on another empty screen. Its something about "maximum height" of widget..

I have tested it again and any widget (even google calendar, dialer...) cannot be higher than 4 icons (which is maximum landescape size).

(And yes, I have restarted phone.)

Note that the icons are divided in two blocks with an invisible line in between. These blocks are displayed side by side in landscape and on top of each other in portrait. Hence a widget can not exceed that.

With your selection that is 2 blocks  x 5x4 icons

So a widget must not exceed the limit of each of the two blocks.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, ycs said:

Now I understand well, that is feature... Thak you for explanation. Its bad message for me. Too small space to see at agenda what to do next days... 

Well the alternative would be that your widget would be stretched oddly when turning (most launchers do that).

There are launchers out there where the layout in landscape and portrait are independent. Those unfortunately seems to lack some keyboard functionality, but might be a better option for you.

Have a look at "Total Launcher" (despite initially putting things in a circle, there are a lot of options, including choosing grids of a size you choose)

• Like 1

Thanks for info, Im going to look at Total Launcher. And will also check what type of launcher I have used at my last qwerty phone Motorola Photon Q. I worked like a charm with keyboard and widget. 

Change name of topic - no problem.

Edited by ycs
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It seems only the first post really talks about a request for enhancements, but I will add mine.  With the stock launcher, I would like the ability to:

- have multiple pages / homescreens, but we able to set a particular one as my "home", which should be the first one you see if you restart.

- rename shortcuts for all items; looks like you can only name groups

Both of these are capable in the BlackBerry launcher.  As an example for the homescreen request, on my Priv, I have the second page as my home and the first (to the left) has all my banking apps and some others that don't change.  I'd like to be able to set my Pro1 up in a similar fashion.  It's my understanding though that if you want everything to work as designed with this phone, we need to use the stock launcher, quickstep.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, KingOfTerrible said:

It seems only the first post really talks about a request for enhancements, but I will add mine. 

Frankly I see the supplied launcher as a 'minimum build' that works decent in both landscape and portrait, compared to stock.

I doubt they will spend much time on it, as so many alternative launchers exists out there. I guess it is more likely that some creative guy make a few fixes/additions to an existing open source launcher. And as other have asked, since the base of the launcher is clearly the AOSP sample, if F(x)tec are allowed to, they could consider putting the source for their modifications out as open source too.

@EskeRahn is it true that we sort of need to keep using the stock launcher?  If I switched to something else, what do we lose?  I assume it has mostly to do with the auto orientation change when opening the slider keyboard, and the little rotate button that appears to force a change?

There are so many threads here but I think we are missing out on a summarized "here's a bunch of stuff to know for newbies" post for those who recently got their devices.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, KingOfTerrible said:

@EskeRahn is it true that we sort of need to keep using the stock launcher?  If I switched to something else, what do we lose?  I assume it has mostly to do with the auto orientation change when opening the slider keyboard, and the little rotate button that appears to force a change?

There are so many threads here but I think we are missing out on a summarized "here's a bunch of stuff to know for newbies" post for those who recently got their devices.

No, the orientation thing is handled in the slider settings.  The only things you lose in a new launcher are the assignment of apps to keys (which I decided didn't matter to me right now because it has the flaw of adding the key-presses from the held down key to any app that opens in input mode (like an app asking for a password or a document in an editor) and the particular way the launcher is set up to not stretch and distort widgets (which I don't find worth it without more features in a launcher).

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, KingOfTerrible said:

As @Hook said you most certainly can use many launchers out there.
The most lousy ones does not support landscape at all. For many it is in a menu settings (some rather deep in!!!) to select it not to be portrait only.

Most of the ones that DO support landscape, has their mind back when screens were in a 4:3 aspect ratio, so they just stretch&squeeze the grid. Still having full functionality, but often looking a bit odd in landscape, and many widgets does not handle it well to be twice as wide and half as high as they were originally designed for...

A few launchers had taken the consequence and use completely separate icon-grids for the two directions, for some you can even select different grid densities if you should prefer that, so you can have more in one direction. That all works perfectly, but obviously will require us to add all our icons and widget twice. (Now if they only would add them to both directions on add, so we just had to rearrange, that would be nice, it should be add only, not delete)

The build in launcher also handle the short-cut keys, but there are third party apps that can offer that too.

Navigation with the keyboard arrows works in some launchers, but some ignores widgets, other have unexpected movement patterns.

None of the launchers I have seen this far (including the build in) has the neat feature I remember from an old keyboard phone (and windows), that pressing a key jumps to the icon with a matching title.

So do not get me wrong here, The build in launcher is very simple indeed. I just feel that the two-block approach is an ingenious idea for 2:1 displays. Though of course that will prevent you in placing a widget crossing the line between the blocks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, so maybe I missed this, but I am not actually sure how to use the keyboard shortcuts in the built-in launcher. I found where to assign apps to the keys, but nothing I try actually seems to do anything. Every time I try, the Google app just comes up and starts searching the key I typed. I realize there's information spread around the forum, but I can't seem to find what I am looking for. Since this doesn't actually go to documentation, maybe it would be beneficial to create community documentation that consolidates everything, similar to what @EskeRahn is suggesting (which is probably an idea that someone brought up in another thread, which just drives the point home more lol)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, lzb said:

OK, so maybe I missed this, but I am not actually sure how to use the keyboard shortcuts in the built-in launcher. I found where to assign apps to the keys, but nothing I try actually seems to do anything. Every time I try, the Google app just comes up and starts searching the key I typed. I realize there's information spread around the forum, but I can't seem to find what I am looking for. Since this doesn't actually go to documentation, maybe it would be beneficial to create community documentation that consolidates everything, similar to what @EskeRahn is suggesting (which is probably an idea that someone brought up in another thread, which just drives the point home more lol)

We are supposed to just hold the key long when at the home screen, but SwiftKey is messing with that on mine too... 😫 Force-stopping it (after re-enabling Gboard) make the short-cuts work again...

• Sad 2
2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

We are supposed to just hold the key long when at the home screen, but SwiftKey is messing with than on mine too... 😫 Force-stopping it (after re-enabling Gboard) make the short-cuts work again...

So *that* is why it didn't work for me.  I first tried it *after* installing SwiftKey.

Related to this, how do you do split screen?

Edited by david
21 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Standard Android, see discussion in other threads. Just click The square, Click the icon of the app at the top, and select split (if the app supports it)

I've never done it, since I have been on older androids.  I thought it was something unique to the Pro1.  Although, now that I mention it, I might have seen it on a Samsung tablet once.

I have no idea what The Square is, so I'll have to Google it.

EDIT: Oh, *that* square.  The overview/task switcher virtual button.

Edited by david
  • Haha 1
15 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

We are supposed to just hold the key long when at the home screen, but SwiftKey is messing with that on mine too... 😫 Force-stopping it (after re-enabling Gboard) make the short-cuts work again...

*Captain Kirk scream* SWIFTKEEEYYYYYYY!!!!!!

• Haha 1
44 minutes ago, lzb said:

*Captain Kirk scream* SWIFTKEEEYYYYYYY!!!!!!

Yes, they are also messing with the Ctrl-key!!! So when I press Ctrl+Fn+3 to get a £ symbol with FinQwerty it does not work. FinQwerty offers Ctrl+Fn as a one finger doublet for the two finger Shift+Fn. But Swiftkey steals Ctrl and ignore the Fn...

• Sad 2
1 hour ago, lzb said:

On the flip side, one nice thing about SwiftKey is that it interacts with the physical keyboard, giving you suggestions as you type that you can tap on and write faster. I guess kinda losing out either way...

Yup that is why I'm keeping it. Reported both as bugs to Swiftkey.

• Like 1