Screwed Up: I locked the Bootloader, Won't Boot, and Can't Unlock It

Hello everyone,

I was playing around with fastboot commands and like an idiot I locked the bootloader on my phone. Previously it was unlocked.

I tried running the unlock command and I'm getting an error that says I'm not allowed.

Worse yet, I'm stuck in bootloader mode with no way to boot in the system. I can at least operate the boot loader, but I'm unable to flash stock back using the fastboot commands.

What are my options? 

Looks like you found your way to the factory restore tool, hope that works.

Cuz otherwise sounds like a conundrum.  With bootloader locked, can't use fastboot to flash anything.  And if you can't boot, you can't allow unlock (if it thinks its not allowed).

Yeah I just flashed my device using the latest full image (October 2019)  from the factory reset tool.

Still no dice. Bootloader won't let me boot.

I'm going to try once more with the original October flash image. But if it doesn't work, it seems I have ruined my phone for good. 

Edited by D1ggs
  • Sad 2

Welp, after reflashing with the factory reset tool several times, the device is still soft bricked. 

I am sadly unable to boot the phone. Makes it to the bootloader and won't make it past it.

For future reference people, DO NOT RELOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER IF YOU'RE RUNNING LINEAGEOS! 

If there's anyone smarter than me out there with tips I would appreciate it. Looks like i'm going to have to roll back to an older phone. 

@tdm do you have any suggestions for this sad soul?

Edited by D1ggs
  • Thanks 1

Have you tried fastboot continue? Or fastboot update? If I remember correctly it's important you flash a file with the same version bootloader that you have on now.

Otherwise I suggest you try these:

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/updated-28-06-2016-mega-unbrick-guide-for-a-hard-bricked-oneplus-2.347607/

Helped me twice with different phones, with their corresponding drivers and files of course...

Good luck!

• Like 2
8 hours ago, NokiaN900Nerd said:

Just for my future phone, what does it exactly mean to relock the boot loader, how does one do that?

You are only able lock if you unlocked it.   The first couple batches shipped with it unlocked.

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2521-notice-regarding-getting-google-safetynet-certified-software/

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, NokiaN900Nerd said:

Just for my future phone, what does it exactly mean to relock the boot loader, how does one do that?

Don't run the fastboot flash lock over terminal and then use the volume keys to turn the bootloader lock back on. 

Update: The FxTec team has graciously extended a helping hand. Also, I'm working with TDM to help determine what's wrong with his factory reset tool before I utilize FxTec's assistance. 

I will update this thread soon with the outcome. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
13 hours ago, D1ggs said:

Also, I'm working with TDM to help determine what's wrong with his factory reset tool

Which tool are you speaking about and what problem have you encountered?

As my engineer friends like to say, the job of an engineer is to make stuff that's idiot proof and the job of the universe is to make a better idiot.

In the case of this, the universe had a small victory.

2 hours ago, VaZso said:

Which tool are you speaking about and what problem have you encountered?

This is the tool: http://files.nwwn.com/android/pro1/factory.html

This all started because a food truck I wanted to go to was only accepting Google pay. 

I relocked my bootloader while running LineageOS (using fastboot flash lock ). I was going to flash back to stock after I did this. However, after doing so the bootloader (screen that says START) on it would not accept any fastboot flashing commands. 

Anywho, with the help of FxTec and TDM, the issue is now resolved.

For those who stumble down this path like me, do not relock your bootloader when running custom firmware. You will get ample warnings before you are able to do so. 

If you do, contact FXTec Support for assistance.

Thanks team @Erik

Edited by D1ggs
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
2 hours ago, D1ggs said:

Thank you your reply.

What problem you had with this flasher and what was the solution?

I am asking this because after a reboot, my friend's phone became in a state where it does not boot anymore and there is not even any drive of the OLED panel.
Basically, during boot, it tries to do something, then after about 15 minutes, it falls back to EDL mode.
...but when I tried the flasher above, Linux version complained about a timeout and Windows version complained about unknown error.

I was waiting for @tdm to reappear on this forum as I feel he could help me to fight down what happening so if it is a hard or soft problem - maybe it can not reach its internal flash or a timeout / delay somewhere in the flasher above is out of the limits of this specific hardware or... so to find out properly what happening here.

What is also interesting is I bought a cable which supports Qualcomm way of entering EDL mode by pressing a button which shorts data pin to GND.
That cable does not even work with my own, working Pro1, along with my hand-made cable which does the same but it seems the phone may lack the check of this short-circuit to enter EDL mode.

Other than that, the bricked phone enters to EDL mode but as a reason of fallback, which may also can be a cause of my unsuccessful firmware updates.
Anyway, I am an electrical engineer. 🙂

4 hours ago, VaZso said:

Thank you your reply.

What problem you had with this flasher and what was the solution?

I am asking this because after a reboot, my friend's phone became in a state where it does not boot anymore and there is not even any drive of the OLED panel.
Basically, during boot, it tries to do something, then after about 15 minutes, it falls back to EDL mode.
...but when I tried the flasher above, Linux version complained about a timeout and Windows version complained about unknown error.

I was waiting for @tdm to reappear on this forum as I feel he could help me to fight down what happening so if it is a hard or soft problem - maybe it can not reach its internal flash or a timeout / delay somewhere in the flasher above is out of the limits of this specific hardware or... so to find out properly what happening here.

What is also interesting is I bought a cable which supports Qualcomm way of entering EDL mode by pressing a button which shorts data pin to GND.
That cable does not even work with my own, working Pro1, along with my hand-made cable which does the same but it seems the phone may lack the check of this short-circuit to enter EDL mode.

Other than that, the bricked phone enters to EDL mode but as a reason of fallback, which may also can be a cause of my unsuccessful firmware updates.
Anyway, I am an electrical engineer. 🙂

Send TDM an email and contact FxTec support directly via this link (https://www.fxtec.com/contact-us)  . I apologize, but I can't disclose any more of the solution further 😞 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I had the same problem I wanted to install lineageos and I was stuck in the fastboot. I tried several things the reset tool and so on but nothing helped

Than i switch to active Boot a and than it boots

fastboot --set-active=a

I hope that will help

• Like 2
  • 4 years later...
On 5/8/2020 at 1:47 PM, D1ggs said:

As my engineer friends like to say, the job of an engineer is to make stuff that's idiot proof and the job of the universe is to make a better idiot.

In the case of this, the universe had a small victory.

This is the tool: http://files.nwwn.com/android/pro1/factory.html

This all started because a food truck I wanted to go to was only accepting Google pay. 

I relocked my bootloader while running LineageOS (using fastboot flash lock ). I was going to flash back to stock after I did this. However, after doing so the bootloader (screen that says START) on it would not accept any fastboot flashing commands. 

Anywho, with the help of FxTec and TDM, the issue is now resolved.

For those who stumble down this path like me, do not relock your bootloader when running custom firmware. You will get ample warnings before you are able to do so. 

If you do, contact FXTec Support for assistance.

Thanks team @Erik

I did this same exact thing for basically the same reason. How did you fix it? Please help.