Is Pro1's signal strength similar or weaker than on the other phones?

This question was motivated by a user selling his phone because of weak 4G antenna and Pro1 being unusable indoors as a phone where other phones worked.

There are many websites explaining how to check signal strength on an Android phone. This one is from 2010 but later articles have similar instructions. How To Measure Cell Signal Strength on Android Phones

"If you want to check out just where you are at in raw numbers, you can check the status screen in Android's menu. Just pull up the menu, scroll down and select About Phone, then select Status. On this screen you will be able to see your signal displayed in dBm..."

On iPhone there is builtin field test mode which can be started by calling special number *3001#12345#*. How to Use Field Test Mode in iOS 13 & iOS 12 and iPhone 11, XS, XR, X

When comparing two signal strengths, the location, time, carrier, tower, frequency should be the same and with no hand grip attenuating the field. The device should be tried toward several directions to see if the antenna is directional.

dBm

Mobile phone signal

What is dBm and How Does it Relate to Cell Signal?   The article mentions Network Cell Info Lite app for Android.

What is strong and weak signal in dBm for 3G vs. 4G?

Edited by jlavi
Added further links about dBm and signal strength
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pro1 does not have the best call quality and signal strength. That was to expected TBH.

That said signal strength has not really been an issue for me.

Call quality however is sometimes a pain.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, my droid4 often has UMTS reception where the pro1 is stuck on Edge. LTE is spotty around here and the droid4 does not have LTE. It is not too bad though.

What is bad is the audio quality when making calls. A lot of people complain about a lot of static on voice calls. I can hear them fine but they can't make out much of what I'm saying. This happens on GSM calls and I'm on the latest LineageOS version.

Anyone else experiencing this or is it a hardware issue with just my phone?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, dicer said:

Yeah, my droid4 often has UMTS reception where the pro1 is stuck on Edge. LTE is spotty around here and the droid4 does not have LTE. It is not too bad though.

What is bad is the audio quality when making calls. A lot of people complain about a lot of static on voice calls. I can hear them fine but they can't make out much of what I'm saying. This happens on GSM calls and I'm on the latest LineageOS version.

Anyone else experiencing this or is it a hardware issue with just my phone?

When I use a headset calls are just fine. And recording a small video, also records the sound fine, so not hardware issues.

I too have the problem, especially as a speaker phone. IF I talk a bit loud and clear (like to a meeting) it works, but if I talk at a normal voice, people have problem hearing. It is described in other threads, and my guess is that it is the noise-cancellation that is a bit too aggressive regarding my normal voice as just background noise.
There also seems to be a problem speaking immediately after picking up a call, that somehow seems to (often?) be lost too.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

I too have the problem, especially as a speaker phone. IF I talk a bit loud and clear (like to a meeting) it works, but if I talk at a normal voice, people have problem hearing. It is described in other threads, and my guess is that it is the noise-cancellation that is a bit too aggressive regarding my normal voice as just background noise.

It may be also in connection with the microphone is too close to the only speaker working in handsfree mode.

I mean when I checked other phones which have two speakers, the opposite speaker was working in handsfree mode which is close to the noise microphone.
So I think if the two speakers would have been changed in software, it wold highly affect this behaviour.
So main microphone would hear you much better as there is no noise from the speaker nearby and noise microphone could pick up noise also from its closer speaker.

Now as it is reversed, noise comes from the speaker near main microphone and the speaker near noise microphone is muted.

If they don't want to change the two speakers in handsfree mode, I would ask them to enable also the other as handsfree mode would be louder and it may not really affect call quality as it is far from main microphone....

Edited by VaZso
6 hours ago, VaZso said:

Now as it is reversed, noise comes from the speaker near main microphone and the speaker near noise microphone is muted.

If I remember correctly @tdm swapped them in LineageOS, so if that is it, it should be fixed there - i have not tested that.

It's definitely way weaker than my Priv. That's actually one thing that it does very well, together with the dedicated mute button, it's designed to work with teleconferences.

In my corner home office I practically get no reception, initially phone calls didn't even go through, whereas my Priv has no issues in the same location.

Signal strength to mobile grid seems fine to me. On par with my previous device (Moto G3). Internet is fine too.
However, I get slightlx less signal with WiFi which leads to disconnecting for me. This is worse than the Moto G3 and on par with very old devices like the Droid series. I can´t tell yet if it may be a LineageOS problem, but I don´t believe so.

The difference is not extreme but I really expected it to be better than a low budget phone like the Motorola G3.

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...