Pro1 battery usage optimization

My Pro1 battery usually can last a day of average use. However, too often I find it overheating and thus wasting battery power for no obvious reason. 

I've had issues early on and tracked it down to Gmail, disabling auto-sync or using Fx Service to schedule auto-sync usage mostly fixed the issue.

However lately I found it overheating more often even when auto-sync was disabled. My workaround this time involves turning on Battery Saver and leaving it on all the time. I'm just getting started with this solution but so far it looks very promising.

Now my concern is that even when the phone was overheating I have never seen Battery Manager reporting any power consumption issue with an app. That probably means that the issues lie with built-in or trusted apps and components that are exempt from Battery Manager scrutiny somehow. That or Battery Manager is useless on that phone.

Have you guys ever seen Battery Manager reporting any issues? Are you using third-party app the keep track of power consumption per application?

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

I've always wished they had options like windows for power management.  High Performance, Balanced, Power Saver.  So a user can pick the profile to suite there needs at the time.

Well they do have that Battery Saver mode.

54 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

Greenify

I looked into it quick but apparently it is closed source and is asking for the pants down permission. No thanks, I'll keep my pants 😁

Edited by Slion
56 minutes ago, Slion said:

I looked into it quick but apparently it is closed source and is asking for the pants down permission. No thanks, I'll keep my pants 😁

Greenify is a reliable app as I am aware. It is nothing like Clean Master or other malicious cleaning/boosting apps.

Clean Master part of ad scam? This is why you should not use anti-virus or phone cleaning apps on Android

But if you are looking for open source you could check SuperFreezZ.

SuperFreezZ is an open source alternative to Greenify that kills apps running in the background

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Slion said:

Is there any drawback for using it? I have not find any.

Services might get terminated more aggressively causing some apps to harass you less promptly with notifications I guess.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, netman said:

Services might get terminated more aggressively causing some apps to harass you less promptly with notifications I guess.

Google has this to say... Use battery saver on a Pixel phone ... scroll down to "What changes when battery saver is on".  And ignore the part about squeezing the phone to bring up the assistant, as that's obviously a hardware feature.

• Thanks 3

Here is my typical battery usage on Pro1. The graph is in Finnish but horizontal axis (x) is Screen On Time (SOT) in minutes and vertical axis (y) is battery percentage left before charging. Green mark means 1-day usage and red mark means 2-day usage.

spacer.png

This is on stock firmware without Battery Saver or other tweaks enabled (bluetooth and wifi on). Initially I made the graph for an review back on February.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I use no special tricks on the Pro1 over what I usually do (see various posts on that subject on eskerahn.dk )

Except one trick: In my environment it uses substantially more power idle when connectet to a 5 rather than a 2.4 WiFi on the same router.

But the general advice is to avoid 'free' ad based apps, as fetching and displaying ads can be quite costly.

Install Greenify, and I also use Android Assistant. Though not as a service, but just for easy kill.

Use something like 3C batttery monitor and/or GSAM to help you find the culprits that need to be held down.

Disable stuff you do not need (or need really seldom). And some apps you use might have leaner alernatives out there...

• Like 2
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

I use no special tricks on the Pro1 over what I usually do (see various posts on that subject on eskerahn.dk )

Except one trick: In my environment it uses substantially more power idle when connectet to a 5 rather than a 2.4 WiFi on the same router.

But the general advice is to avoid 'free' ad based apps, as fetching and displaying ads can be quite costly.

Install Greenify, and I also use Android Assistant. Though not as a service, but just for easy kill.

Use something like 3C batttery monitor and/or GSAM to help you find the culprits that need to be held down.

Disable stuff you do not need (or need really seldom). And some apps you use might have leaner alernatives out there...

Wanted to advise you moving of your reccomendations into APPS toppic, but then I found you already made it 🙂

• Like 1