Still waiting for refund & and keeping f(x)tec own promises

Hello everyone,

first of all, I wish to everyone to have had a merry christmas and a happy new year.

Now to my concern ( I don't want to list the chronology, it's no use) :

I ordered a Pro in May (order #54658) and paid for it promptly. My hope was to get it by the end of the year. In October I gave up this hope.

I cancelled my order. Although confirmed by e-mail, it is still "in progress" in the shop system. By the way, that is not the main problem.

The main problem is that the support of f(x)tec and ultimately f(x)tec itself does not stick to its own agreements. You are assured in the e-mail that this and that will happen by the end of the current week. The week is over, the following week also comes to an end. What happens? That's right: NOTHING! Absolutely nothing.

Reachability, i.e. response times, is another thing. I don't wait for f(x)tec to be delivered immediately at the snap of a finger. That one can expect a binding answer within 14 days is justified even for f(x)tec.

Long story short: I want the order to be cancelled, I want my money back. 

Thanks in advance

KaBay

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I have a similar problem, the people won't refund my money, and now they delayed the process but saying it needed more than the  pu it has.been scheduled for.... More needless delays.... Rather trade 4 an Astro-slide! 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Dean said:

I have a similar problem, the people won't refund my money, and now they delayed the process but saying it needed more than the  pu it has.been scheduled for.... More needless delays.... Rather trade 4 an Astro-slide! 

Think that has a similar timeline TBH as the Pro1 delivery now 😉

• Like 1

Good morning everyone,

The credit was transferred to my account "immediately" after my post here.

In any case, I received an email from f(x)tec within a few hours and the money arrived in my account in Germany via TransferWise the same morning.

I'm talking about 13 January 2021, the day I started this thread.

Greetings from Germany

kabay

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, kabay said:

Good morning everyone,

The credit was transferred to my account "immediately" after my post here.

In any case, I received an email from f(x)tec within a few hours and the money arrived in my account in Germany via TransferWise the same morning.

I'm talking about 13 January 2021, the day I started this thread.

Greetings from Germany

kabay

Glad to hear that they can be so swift, when they are not swamped in a lot of pending mails. 🙂

The chronology of this date indicates that it was before they found out they had been swindled on the 835, with all the following commotion.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, 86turbodsl said:

Be happy you got a refund.  I asked and was denied. 

You backed them via IGG if I recall correctly. You can't compare the two. I'm not agreeing with how things work. Spec changed, I would want my money back too. But, you bought via IGG. After a backing term has passed, this money is used to start up. New design = startup. IGG backing = basically no rights, not afterwards at least.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, DieBruine said:

You backed them via IGG if I recall correctly. You can't compare the two. I'm not agreeing with how things work. Spec changed, I would want my money back too. But, you bought via IGG. After a backing term has passed, this money is used to start up. New design = startup. IGG backing = basically no rights, not afterwards at least.

Same here, I also took a perk for a Pro1X, to get an (even) more powerful Pro1 than I already got. So I have a strong suspicion that it is only going to be my daily driver, when support for 835 Pro1 dies out, from various developing sources. But that is the risk of crowd funding I took..

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Same here, I also took a perk for a Pro1X, to get an (even) more powerful Pro1 than I already got. So I have a strong suspicion that it is only going to be my daily driver, when support for 835 Pro1 dies out, from various developing sources. But that is the risk of crowd funding I took..

The same applies for me... I hope my current Pro1 will last for a long time anyway.
Also, if it will have a "UFS flash chip issue", I may find a way to replace that chip (potentially with a 256 GB version) if a Pro2 will not come up by that time... and I may also do it if I will buy a Pro2 anyway. 🙂

I am mostly afraid about two potential hardware issues with Pro1:
- Screen breakage without a potential replacement
- Flash worn out issue (which is normal for long-term usage but a very bad problem to have)

• Like 2

The FX Tec group actually broke their own contract when they substituted a faster cpu.! The ONLY reason I wanted the FX Tec is the keyboard & no improved cpu will change it that much! I don't give a damn about a gaming smartphone, but the worrysome tec group thinks differently & are not responsible to their customers! Damn shame too, they lack wisdom! 

• Confused 1
7 hours ago, Dean said:

The FX Tec group actually broke their own contract when they substituted a faster cpu.! The ONLY reason I wanted the FX Tec is the keyboard & no improved cpu will change it that much! I don't give a damn about a gaming smartphone, but the worrysome tec group thinks differently & are not responsible to their customers! Damn shame too, they lack wisdom! 

1.  An IGG perk is NOT a contract, which is clearly stated by IGG in many places, including when you select your perk.

2.  They substituted a slower, less powerful SOC, but you are right, it won't change it that much.

3. While they do like to show off games on their Pro1s in their tweets, that isn't the main point of the pro1 and it won't be for the Pro1 X either.

4, They have carefully explained everything in the IGG Updates including what happened and why they made the choices they made. You are entitled not to like those choices, but such changes are the things that happen when you gamble by backing a project rather than buying an already available, off-the-shelf product.

If "the only reason you wanted the FX TEC is for the keyboard" , you won't be disappointed.  You have a longer wait then you wanted, but you WILL have a great keyboard phone.

Edited by Hook
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2021 at 6:29 PM, EskeRahn said:

You and I, and everyone on the IGG campaign bought into the project based on a certain set of specifications which were then swapped out for lesser ones.  While perceived performance may not change that much, it's still bait and switch even if unintentional, and the support lifetime will be that much shorter.  I can't help but feel a bit ripped off.  But i suppose, it's like gambling.  And those that get burned gambling, probably don't do it again.  In the end, the people who get burned have a loud voice, which turns away future customers and can result in reduced likelihood of success for future campaigns.   Would i invest in a Pro2?  No way.  Not after how this one went/is going.

6 hours ago, 86turbodsl said:

Would i invest in a Pro2?  No way.  Not after how this one went/is going.

Gambling is a good analogy. Investments always are like that. If we want to be sure we should do (pre)orders rather than taking IGG perks.
More expensive, sure. but it gives us a lot of buyers rights.

6 hours ago, 86turbodsl said:

... and the support lifetime will be that much shorter ...

I do not understand this point. Actually, the Pro1-X SoC still has a long support life ahead. After all, that was the reason for the switch.

With its longer EoL, the 662 Pro1-X may also eventually have better software support: I doubt that newer Android versions will ever appear for the original Pro1. Ubuntu development is probably focusing on the Pro1-X right now. In the long run, the 662 may also have better chances regarding mainline Linux support than the de-facto obsolete 835-Pro1 ...

Finally, the redesign of the mainboard may be a chance for FxTec to fix a few quirks of the original phone (looking at you, Pro1 camera ...).      

• Like 4
9 hours ago, claude0001 said:

With its longer EoL, the 662 Pro1-X may also eventually have better software support: I doubt that newer Android versions will ever appear for the original Pro1. Ubuntu development is probably focusing on the Pro1-X right now. In the long run, the 662 may also have better chances regarding mainline Linux support than the de-facto obsolete 835-Pro1 ...

You are right, however, this industry is moving too fast, so 662 will also be obsolete in a few years (but it is currently relatively new), so better support is very likely in a long run, but this too short production time of the SoC definitively results in a poor software support later. 😞 

I don't like how fast these replacement process is while technology should be good enough for years, so it is not driven by development but simply to sell newer units making old ones waste...

It is not about F(x)tec, it's about the phone industry itself.

9 hours ago, claude0001 said:

Finally, the redesign of the mainboard may be a chance for FxTec to fix a few quirks of the original phone (looking at you, Pro1 camera ...).  

Right, also looking at correct alignment of left/right speakers including the correct one to be used in handsfree mode, maybe also too loud earpiece bug which I don't know if it can be solved in software or not but is still exists in original Pro1, and maybe some improvement of microphone sensitivity.

...or not, but it would be good to address these issues regardless if the solution is hardware or software improvement.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, VaZso said:

this industry is moving too fast, so 662 will also be obsolete in a few years

That is why we eventually need mainline Linux support. And truly open-source phone operating systems. 🙂

I am typing this post using a fully-updated Linux OS running on a 12-year old PC (Thinkpad T400). If the hardware endures, nothing will prevent me from installing the most recent Debian distribution on it for ages to come. Remember: the most recent Linux kernel can run happily on an i386 with 32 MB of RAM ... That is where we want to go with phones, too!

I am of course half-joking here: You are completely right that money its made (in obscene amounts) from planned obsolescence. Therefore, ways of continued (perpetual?) use of existing hardware will never be realistically available to "normal" users. Not because it is technically impossible but because, in the industry, no one can want that. Those people have families to feed, too ... 😉

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

I am typing this post using a fully-updated Linux OS running on a 12-year old PC (Thinkpad T400). If the hardware endures, nothing will prevent me from installing the most recent Debian distribution on it for ages to come. Remember: the most recent Linux kernel can run happily on an i386 with 32 MB of RAM ... That is where we want to go with phones, too!

Right, but if SoC manufacturer does not help, mainline Linux support will come later (if ever), then the hardware becomes obsolete, manufacturing stops, people change hardware and also maintainers may move and the code may be also obsolete in the kernel (sooner or later).

However, a chip being supported fully by the mainline kernel would be a very good effect for the long-term future, that is absolutely right.

I am writing this on a 4-5 years old PC (Thinkpad P50) which was replaced an around 10 years old another one last year (Dell Latitude E6510), but basically the same system runs on them since 11 years now which is Debian Stable.

However, PC has a high level of compatibility which does not really true if we look at specific ARM devices.
Also boot mechanism is not really standardized opposite to a PC.

14 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

Those people have families to feed, too ... 😉

Right, continuous selling is mandatory for the industry, but it is really bad for the nature, so a bit of slowdown would be very welcome...

• Like 2
58 minutes ago, VaZso said:

However, PC has a high level of compatibility which does not really true if we look at specific ARM devices.

That is a very good point, indeed.

With PCs, "compatibilty" (with the IBM XT/AT) was seen as an advantage. With phones, we obviously must have taken a wrong turn somewhere ...

The good news is that a World of incompatible devices could prevent SkyNet from spreading all too easily. 😉   

Edited by claude0001
  • Haha 2
30 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

With PCs, "compatibilty" (with the IBM XT/AT) was seen as an advantage. With phones, we obviously must have taken a wrong turn somewhere ...

This is very true.

BIOS of IBM XT/AT was a good compatibility layer but it was really slow so some hardware-specific workarounds appeared, then later systems started to use hardware-specific parts, then it was only used to load the OS.

The reincarnation of BIOS became UEFI, but it has the same purpose.

On ARM devices, there are separate solutions... uboot is maybe one of the most common loader placed in RAW area, but for example, Raspberry Pi uses an own method of loading initial data from a separate FAT partition placed on an SD-card (when other options were not supported).
On top of that, phones usually have a closed boot loader, restricted peripheral access, less-standard loaders and most rapid changes...
Edit: Oh, and much less reachable documentation (which would be important for quick kernel implementation).

30 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

The good news is that a World of incompatible devices could prevent SkyNet from spreading all too easily. 😉   

Right, but SkyNet actually mostly spreads on so-called IoT devices running abandoned OSes all over the world. 😄
So it is slowly rises in another form. 🙂

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Well, it's now August & the Tec-group has broken another promise to deliver in August, it's now September! Buyers must be brain dead to put up with this crap. I know I regret it.... Should have bought Astro slide, it would be in my hands long before the FX-Tec! 😝 

3 hours ago, Dean said:

Well, it's now August & the Tec-group has broken another promise to deliver in August, it's now September! Buyers must be brain dead to put up with this crap. I know I regret it.... Should have bought Astro slide, it would be in my hands long before the FX-Tec! 😝 

See my reply above from March 29th,  It still pretty much applies.  They have kept their backers informed with monthly updates.  If you are not ordering an already manufactured phone that is already sitting in a warehouse, there are no promises, only projections.  And those projections are based on not much going wrong.  You may regret the investment because of the time it is taking, and that is understandable, but they are being transparent about the sources of those delays.

• Thanks 2
On 8/7/2021 at 1:34 PM, Dean said:

Astro slide has also had setbacks they should have shipped in march (I think it was march anyway!)