Green bar on top

Hi Guys

My Pro1 gets like a green bar on the top area where it has time, battery status, wifi icon etc.

this upper part becomes green when the brightness is bit low, and if i turn the display brightness pretty high like 70% or more then the green area disappear and becomes normal black.

is there an issue with my display? or is my display slowly dying?

Appropriate your help!

If you rotate the device, does the issue follow the logic or physical screen? I mean is it the notification area in any direction, or is it the same part of the physical display?

There is a general thing, that at low brightness, the deep dark nuances gets a greenish tint. but if it is limited to a certain area of the display it sounds like a hardware issue.

• Thanks 1

Thanks EskeRahn and Hook

If i rotate the screen the green part follow the logic i.e. its always the top part which is green.

so its not a fixed part of screen and the green part moves to the top when screen is rotated.

does that means my display is ok?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kashif said:

does that means my display is ok?

If the green part moves from top to bottom of the physical display when you rotate it, it may be a software problem.
However, I don't know what the software does on rotating, as the display controller itself may have an option of display orientation which means it may still be a problem of the display controller which belongs to the display (not part of the phone but part of the display).

So the question is still open I think...

Anyway, what happen if you rotate the phone vertically and force it to rotate the other way vertically?
Does the green part appears at the left or right side or is it moves to the top?
If it moves to the top (facing up) then forget my words about the display controller, but if it is on the sides, the suspicion may be right.

I don't know this kind of display but I have used other (simpler) OLED displays where rotation (and mirroring) may be an option but it can also be done by software-only method.

• Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, VaZso said:

However, I don't know what the software does on rotating, as the display controller itself may have an option of display orientation which means it may still be a problem of the display controller which belongs to the display (not part of the phone but part of the display).

I doubt that this should be at controller level.
1) Look at the 'animation' as we turn it between the orientations
2) If you take a picture of the display with a digital camera, it is clear that the synchronisation stripes that might appear, is parallel to the short edge.

R1091382_20Pct.jpg

R1091380_20pct.jpg

• Thanks 2
12 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I doubt that this should be at controller level.
1) Look at the 'animation' as we turn it between the orientations
2) If you take a picture of the display with a digital camera, it is clear that the synchronisation stripes that might appear, is parallel to the short edge.

You are right, but
1) It is a test
2) Hardware orientation may not be the horizontal to vertical transition (so not 90°) but a rotation of 180°

I also don't think a hardware configuration is used for this purpose but it is a real option.

I told the vertical orientation to test if it comes to the part of the display facing up as this kind of rotation will definitively not at hardware level.

As of rotate animation you mentioned... @kashif, does this green part also rotating?

9 hours ago, VaZso said:

If the green part moves from top to bottom of the physical display when you rotate it, it may be a software problem.

So the question is still open I think...

Anyway, what happen if you rotate the phone vertically and force it to rotate the other way vertically?
Does the green part appears at the left or right side or is it moves to the top?
If it moves to the top (facing up) then forget my words about the display controller, but if it is on the sides, the suspicion may be right.

I don't know this kind of display but I have used other (simpler) OLED displays where rotation (and mirroring) may be an option but it can also be done by software-only method.

Yes the green part rotates with the rotation, it always stays on top when you rotate.

so its never fixed to one side and rotates and stays on top as you rotate the display.

Although i have noticed that on my other pro1 the green part is bit less green.

both of them have battery saver enabled

Edited by kashif
5 hours ago, kashif said:

Although i have noticed that on my other pro1 the green part is bit less green.

both of them have battery saver enabled

So it should be a software issue somewhere, especially as you have two Pro1s with the same problem.

I haven't noticed it anyway, I think one of your applications is the reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Mine does have a burned in area of the screen at the bottom (when in landscape).  That's because I use WhatsApp a lot and it has a solid bar of green at the bottom where you type your messages.  It has been like that for months.

So even though the poster seems to be talking about something that changes on the location of the screen when the phone is rotated, the Pro1 (at least mine) does have a risk for burn in.

• Sad 1
24 minutes ago, david said:

So even though the poster seems to be talking about something that changes on the location of the screen when the phone is rotated, the Pro1 (at least mine) does have a risk for burn in.

Unfortunately burn-ins are not uncommon for modern displays. Especially AMOLED and especially if used with a high brightness.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure this was fixed in either stock or LoS 16. I will test it as soon as I have my phones back. Currently I'm running LoS 18.1 and the green color and artifcacts are really bad. I cannot remember it being this bad on LoS 16... For me it starts at around <60% brightness.