• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those of you who are self-building, I thought I should provide some info about where to find the monthly ASB patches. Google is currently backporting security patches to all releases since Oreo (A

If you are using the same MindTheGapps and you have previously flashed it to both slots, it doesn't matter if you flash it or not as long as data hasn't been wiped. At least, that's what I think is go

Build took 01:49:55 on Intel Core i7-11700K with 64GB of RAM though I don't think RAM usage got much over 20GB anyway. I used 100 GB ccache but it only contains 26GB after the build. Huge speed increa

Posted Images

• Slion changed the title to LineageOS custom builds
8 minutes ago, Slion said:

@claude0001 I'm in the process of setting up a VirtualBox for my custom build.

Will I need to reset my phone if I sideload the resulting ROM on top of my WSL ROM?

Do you mean you have used WSL (Windows) environment for compiling and now you would like to move it under VirtualBox and a Ubuntu inside?

What do you expect from it? Increase of compiling performance?

I would think the very same source tree may should work but I don't know.

However, somehow I could not even sideload LineageOS of my own build without doing a factory reset.
Do you nhave any ideas what may I have done wrong?

I have installed my build, then Magisk and MintTheGapps and did the same thing after sideloading the new build.
However, it seemed to have an endless boot process - I don't think it should has doing it that long but I may be wrong.

How long should it boot after a proper sideload of the updated build?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, VaZso said:

How long should it boot after a proper sideload of the updated build?

Was fast for me.

1 minute ago, VaZso said:

Do you mean you have used WSL (Windows) environment for compiling and now you would like to move it under VirtualBox and a Ubuntu inside?

Correct.

2 minutes ago, VaZso said:

What do you expect from it? Increase of compiling performance?

With the UI it would be easier to edit the source code.

3 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Maybe you were still pointing to the wrong slot where you had the official build before somehow? I have not idea though, I don't fully understand those slots.

43 minutes ago, Slion said:

@claude0001 I'm in the process of setting up a VirtualBox for my custom build.

Will I need to reset my phone if I sideload the resulting ROM on top of my WSL ROM?

No, I do not think so. As far as I know, the "testing" keys are not unique to a certain building environment, so you should be able to flash the new build over the previous one without migrating.

Did you actually solve that issue you had with installing Gapps and other Apps on your custom build?

Edited by claude0001
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, VaZso said:

However, somehow I could not even sideload LineageOS of my own build without doing a factory reset.

You mean sideload your own build over an official one?

That will only work without wiping data if you migrate your setup from 'official' to 'testing' keys.

Also, at least for LOS 16.0, the official recovery would not allow me to sideload my own build. I had to first flash my self-built boot.img using fastboot (to both slots, just to be sure 😉).

Edited by claude0001
  • Thanks 2
12 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

Did you actuially solve that issue you had with installing Gapps and other Apps on your custom build?

Yes, I just tried again and it worked. I guess the first time around it was sent to the wrong slot.

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

You mean sideload your own build over an official one?

No, sideloading my own build over my own build.

30 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

Also, at least for LOS 16.0, the official recovery would not allow me to sideload my own build. I had to first flash my self-built boot.img using fastboot (to both slots, just to be sure 😉).

I think it may have caused my problem above as I have forgot to install the recovery what my self-compiled build provided.

So official LineageOS 18.1's recovery is currently installed on that device and it can be used to sideload my own build but I could not get it to boot without a factory reset after every new builds I made.

So I haven't tought it as a cause but based on your comment I suspect I should also update to that recovery, thanks for the suggestion.

37 minutes ago, Slion said:

Maybe you were still pointing to the wrong slot where you had the official build before somehow? I have not idea though, I don't fully understand those slots.

I have found after sideloading LineageOS, I have to reboot back into recovery, it switches slots, then I can sideload Magisk and MindTheGapps.

Anyway, I also don't like this sticky shift thing on my hardware keyboard but mostly because of the double pressing as caps lock behaviour, however, it is not enabled in my software keyboard app.

3 minutes ago, VaZso said:

I have found after sideloading LineageOS, I have to reboot back into recovery, it switches slots, then I can sideload Magisk and MindTheGapps.

Yes, that's the correct procedure, which worked for me since I got my Pro1. Upon flashing the ROM it switches the active slot. A reboot is then needed to make sure any additional software is actually sideloaded into the right OS.

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, VaZso said:

So official LineageOS 18.1's recovery is currently installed on that device and it can be used to sideload my own build but I could not get it to boot without a factory reset after every new builds I made.

For me (on LOS 16) sideloading my custom ROM from the official recovery would just fail (without anything getting flashed), so I am not sure if this is the same phenomenon.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

For me (on LOS 16) sideloading my custom ROM from the official recovery would just fail (without anything getting flashed), so I am not sure if this is the same phenomenon.

Yes, but it may really worth a try as it seems it may cause problems.
Next time I will start with this.

11 hours ago, claude0001 said:

My custom 17.1 installed just fine (from the official LOS17.1 recovery) ... to my own surprise.

Flashing my boot.img failed because I can't get fastboot to cooperate on my PC (Windows 10 and Ubuntu).

• Like 2

After sideloading my Virtual Box Ubuntu ROM on top of my WSL ROM it got stuck in a reboot loop.
Then I found this: https://www.davehofmann.de/how-i-fixed-a-boot-loop-after-a-lineageos-upgrade/
Flashing the boot.img recovery from that same ROM, did not help, at least not in itself.
Sideloading MindTheGapps again fixed it.

Edited by Slion
43 minutes ago, Slion said:

Did you try:

I did, and I appreciate(d) your instructions :-). Although I don't quite get why fxtec doesn't provide a signed driver ...

Anyways, I only got fastboot to detect my phone. Any other command besides "fastboot devices" failed on Windows and Ubuntu, and all USB ports (four ports provided by four different controllers on my mainboard). Flashing boot.img (to boot, boot_a or boot_b) failed either because fastboot claimed the boot partition was too small, or because the phone stopped responding or rebooted. ADB worked without any problems.

Edited by daniel.schaaaf
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Slion said:

After sideloading my Virtual Box Ubuntu ROM on top of my WSL ROM it got stuck in a reboot loop.
Then I found this: https://www.davehofmann.de/how-i-fixed-a-boot-loop-after-a-lineageos-upgrade/
Flashing the boot.img recovery from that same ROM, did not help, at least not in itself.
Sideloading MindTheGapps again fixed it.

Sideloaded another build from my Virtual Box and got stuck in reboot loop.
Sideloading MindTheGapps on top fixed it.

Looks like I always have to sideload gapps after ROM update otherwise it won't start.

1 minute ago, claude0001 said:

Isn't that to be expected?

I also have to re-sideload AddonSU each time I flash a new ROM.

I do not know. I'm new to this. Some people where saying they need to re-sideload Magisk. Maybe either Gapps or Magisk does the trick somehow.

4 minutes ago, Slion said:

I do not know. I'm new to this. Some people where saying they need to re-sideload Magisk. Maybe either Gapps or Magisk does the trick somehow.

I never had Gapps installed, but I am pretty sure that at the time LOS 16 was in testing phase,  @tdm always reminded people not to forget to reinstall them after flashing a new version via sideload.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, claude0001 said:

I never had Gapps installed, but I am pretty sure that at the time LOS 16 was in testing phase,  @tdm always reminded people not to forget to reinstall them after flashing a new version via sideload.

Yes it is stated somewhere that IF you want to use gapps, then it MUST be installed before first OS-boot after a flash, and must be reinstalled after each OS flash.

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Yes it is stated somewhere that IF you want to use gapps, then it MUST be installed before first OS-boot after a flash, and must be reinstalled after each OS flash.

I noticed GMail won't start anymore. I'm not sure if that was caused by the re-sideloading of GApps somehow.

Edited by Slion

Not sideloading magisk after sideloading a new ROM does not break it's functionality it seems but the app won't be fully loaded. It will look like Magisk is not installed as far as the app is concerned.
Therefore when loading a new ROM the process goes:

• Sideload ROM
  • Sideload GApps
  • Sideload Magisk
  • Reboot
Edited by Slion
  • Thanks 1