Ripped switch rubber membrane and fingerprint sensor cable

Hello,

everything started with one problem - the stock camera app froze right after start and even though OpenCamera did show the camera input, it was not able to focus. My idea was that the problem is in the software, so I backed up everything valuable, than loaded LineageOS.

As you probably guess, the problem was still there. I believe that fingerprint sensor did work at this stage before first opening correctly. So I opened the phone, having no clue, what to do. But Heureka! I found one of the camera connector completely disconnected. So I connected it back and the camera started to focus again.

Thinking this is the end I closed the phone. 

But than I found the fingerprint sensor does not register any touch. I tried to add new fingerprint, but nothing happened, when I touched the sensor.

So I opened the phone again, finding that I forgot to connect the sensor back. Silly me. Unfortunately, after next try, the sensor still did not work. So I opened it again, trying to re-seat the connector. But after several attempts, the sensor just did not work and to add insult to injury, I found the power button is now sunken!

The reason for it is I have managed to rip the rubber membrane of FPC switch, so now the plastic piece of button cannot reach the switch on board.

To cut this short, in the end, I actually managed to rip the fingerprint sensor cable. 

So my questions are:

1) How to fix the switches? The image is attached. I was thinking about extending the reach of the plastic piece with something. I will also try to ask in the repair shop on Monday.

2) Is it possible to buy the new fingerprint sensor standalone? I found those on AliExpress, but those maybe different size.
Pocophone F1
OnePlus 5

I was thinking about contacting the support, but after reading the horror stories here on forum, I am reluctant to do it.

Thanks for any advice in advanced.

camera.jpg

fingerprint.jpg

switches.jpg

Edited by hostar
  • Sad 4

Sad story, though at the least you got the camera fixed.

I have no idea if any other phones fingerprint reader would match. I have not heard it mentioned. But would be great if a more widespread device uses the same cable, as the cable is definitely vulnerable opening. Others have reported tearing it,

On the torn membrane, I would try with tiny pieces of (non conducting) duct tape and see if that would do the trick.
My guess would be that they wont have the membrane as a spare, but would replace the 'entire' side print with all three contacts.

• Thanks 1

Kind of positive development since that - I found repair shop which were able to do just that - append a piece of thin duct tape to the FPC button. Small problem now that it does not do the nice "click" feedback when pressed, the pressing is kinda muddy, but still better than I would have managed.

@EskeRahn - if I would contact support, could they send me the spare fingerprint reader? Or do I have to always send the whole phone?

Thanks

2 hours ago, hostar said:

Kind of positive development since that - I found repair shop which were able to do just that - append a piece of thin duct tape to the FPC button. Small problem now that it does not do the nice "click" feedback when pressed, the pressing is kinda muddy, but still better than I would have managed.

@EskeRahn - if I would contact support, could they send me the spare fingerprint reader? Or do I have to always send the whole phone?

Thanks

They do send spare parts, but I have no idea if they have spare FP sensors.

P.S. Eske is just a power user, not affiliated with fxtec nor working for them. So he has to guess exactly like me.

• Thanks 2

I'll have to open my phone at one point. You make it look relatively easy (opening it a couple times) so I'll probably do it sooner.

That being said, I don't need the fingerprint sensor at all - I never use it. So if you won't get the sensor from FxTec, I'll send you mine. With the idea of adding a secondary USB-port (don't know yet if that's possible with USB C) I wouldn't need a defective replacement to cover the hole.

However, it's entirely possible that I'll not open the phone until christmas so that's not a quick solution.

Regarding the buttons: I don't think the buttons need the rubber cover, it'll just make the clicking a bit smoother. You just need a way to add the 0,2mm distance that was there before since the button movement is so limited. i'd try to use small paper strips for that since it isn't as soft as tape. If you want a rubber solution, you might also want to go for rubber based color/liquid coating. That could be applied very easily and should be elastic enough to withstand the button usage.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Really? That would be amazing, thanks. Where do you live though? I suppose we should move this conversation to private messages. It does not matter if it will take until Christmas. So much is happening in my life right now, it will be in no time.

Regarding the adding of distance to button - some repair shop I found already fixed that, but thanks for ideas. The liquid coating I managed to find seems to be only for heavy duty purposes, such as roofs and floors.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, hostar said:

Really? That would be amazing, thanks. Where do you live though? I suppose we should move this conversation to private messages. It does not matter if it will take until Christmas. So much is happening in my life right now, it will be in no time.

Regarding the adding of distance to button - some repair shop I found already fixed that, but thanks for ideas. The liquid coating I managed to find seems to be only for heavy duty purposes, such as roofs and floors.

Just a thought. you could send the defective one the other way, as it certainly would fit the hole perfectly 😉

• Like 1

I had ripped the membrane on one of the buttons a bit like that when reassembling, but it was still good enough to work (all bits still attached). The second time I assembled i placed some kapton (mylar) tape over it to protect it from damage on assembly because I was quite concerned about destroying it further, this appears to have worked.

image.thumb.png.5d2033bd653b8c1fcda2d60ef196c7c6.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...

Hey there.
It took a while but I ended up disassembling my phone today (probably because I dropped it into water not only once but twice...).
Sadly, I see no way to removing the fingerpring sensor to replace or remove it. Since it's not a double connector I can't disconnect the ribbon and send it to you. And to remove the sensor I'd have to break parts of the body.

Since my secondary USB C jack isn't an option due to its depth (the battery would be in its way) I don't want to break the body to remove the fingerprint sensor.

I'm very sorry.

If you do find a way to remove the fingerprint sensor without damaging parts of the phone, please feel free to let me know and I'll extract the sensor for you.

If anybody needs a spare motor (vibration device) please let me know. I removed it entirely with enough cable to solder it onto the board.

By the way, the phone is fine surprisingly. It's not even close to watertight and there were lots of water droplets in the body and display but FxTec did a very nice job to limit the main water entrances to spots where no major parts are in danger (battery, display backside, camera), etc.
Given, that you shut it down immediately and open the phone in the next hours it's very possible that you succeed to save it. I was very surprised to save it since it dropped into ~30cm deep water two times in a row...

Edited by SchattengestaIt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, no problem.

According to service manual, I believe the sensor should be removable by heat gun, but don't do it.

I must say, after using gesture to unlock, instead of fingerprint, the unlocking process is much faster (even though less secure).

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

Just to be sure, I suppose this is exactly what should NOT have happened with the fingerprint sensor ribbon cable of my old Pro¹?

Q8143040.thumb.jpg.062a8599a7b6f785bcb3e9a74984fdc8.jpg

I replaced the defective USB module today, and I wanted to see if I might be able to get the fingerprint sensor working again, too, which had stopped working months ago, but I guess I can forget about that now.

Except if Fxtec might be able to sell a back cover including buttons and fingerprint sensor as a replacement part, perhaps?

Edited by Rob. S.
2 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Except if Fxtec might be able to sell a back cover including buttons and fingerprint sensor as a replacement part, perhaps?

If they got it for the Pro1. Things have changed slightly for the Pro1X. The fingerprint-reader is new, and I believe they said the antennas are changed too. Obviously these could be backwards compatible.

• Thanks 1
On 8/14/2022 at 10:30 PM, EskeRahn said:

If they got it for the Pro1

I asked and they haven't. Reassembled the phone now as it is, and I'm actually surprised it switched on and booted successfully, given how clumsy I've been...

That said, and to get back to being on-topic for a sec, in the process I also damaged the volume-up button and the camera button... Thankfully the phone is still usable without both.

One other thing happened, too; the screen orientation is now fixed to landscape, as if the keyboard slide mechanism would permanently signal 'keyboard out'. Any idea what I could have missed in reassembling there? (For now, if I have to use the old Pro1, I'll help myself with 'Rotation Control Pro'...)

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

One other thing happened, too; the screen orientation is now fixed to landscape, as if the keyboard slide mechanism would permanently signal 'keyboard out'. Any idea what I could have missed in reassembling there? (For now, if I have to use the old Pro1, I'll help myself with 'Rotation Control Pro'...)

Yes, there is a small Hall sensor in one half and a magnet in the other.
Seen in landscape, it is slightly above the USB, and if I remember correctly about 1cm in.

Add from here
The sensor is near the camera button about 12mm closer to the keyboard, and roughly 5mm in from the USB edge

You could also display the image from here full size on the Pro1 display...

• Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...

@hostar
Hey there.
It's been a year but I've finally removed the fingerprint sensor. My phone isn't charging anymore and I've decided to take another try on adding a secondary charging port to the phone (let's hope it works out).
I've managed to remove the fingerprint sensor without visible damage so I guess it should work fine.

Are you still interested? If so, PM me and I'll send it to you for free.
Seemingly, it is easy to remove if you push on it from the inner side. Then it will just pop out with little resistance.

Fingerprint sensor.jpg

Edited by SchattengestaIt
  • Thanks 2
  • 11 months later...

Kinda reassuring that I'm not alone with this.

Had to open up my Pro1 to replace the bulging battery today (screen was already a bit wobbly and no longer flush when closed). While reassembling I ripped the fingerprint cable apart. I don't even know how I'm supposed to put it back in place while also holding both sides of the lower shell. If I get a replacement, I'll probably destroy that one, too.

Phone is charging and properly closing again at least.

Battery was still at 47% despite having a manufacturing date of mid 2019.

• Sad 1