Dropped Pro 1 - now stuck in Landscape mode even after reboots

Hey folks,

I dropped my Pro1 (not x) this morning. Not the first time, last time did the hairline crack across the top of the screen and so I ordered an aftermarket replacement screen that I have not yet put on. But today, I dropped it again. It appears fine except that now the phone appears to think it always has the keyboard open even when it does not.

Anything I can do about this? IE reflashing or replacing the screen? Or am I likely stuck with trying to get a warranty repair after flashing back to stock etc.?

Lineage 17.1.20210301-Nightly-Pro1 (yes I need to upgrade to 18.x but was trying to wait out the accessibility bug (thanks @EskeRahn for tracking that bug status in new nightly builds) with either OpenGApps or MicroG, think the former but forget, and su and superuser.

Edited by Maplesteel

I don't know the answer to what's going on here (maybe a sensor?), but I just wanted to assure you warranty repair does not depend on being on stock.  When I sent mine in a year ago it was on AICP.  They don't care.  🙂

6 minutes ago, Hook said:

I don't know the answer to what's going on here (maybe a sensor?), but I just wanted to assure you warranty repair does not depend on being on stock.  When I sent mine in a year ago it was on AICP.  They don't care.  🙂

Nice to hear! In that case, I can flash LOS 18, leave it without any apps, and ship it off if I need to.

I quake in fear that this will be a sensor or magnet of some kind that is now wonked out of alignment.

4 minutes ago, Maplesteel said:

In that case, I can flash LOS 18, leave it without any apps, and ship it off if I need to.

Or just factory reset.  Flash LOS 18 when it comes back.

My GUESS would be that either the hall sensor (in the bottom half) or the magnet (in the top) triggering it has been shaken loose, and is now out of place.

The sensor is near the camera button about 12mm closer to the keyboard, and roughly 5mm in from the USB edge

If the sensor is in place, it does not have to be a powerful magnet to trigger it. An ordinary screwdriver magnetised in the right direction can do the trick,

You can check the position of the magnet with a nail, screw or the like, to see where it can hang when the slider is open. it should be about 5 respectively 12mm from the edges.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, _DW_ said:

I can't remember now but doesn't the device factory tests have something for the sensors?

Indeed, see this comment&thread. But as it stopped working after a drop, the chance that it is software related is minuscule. So the normal actions are expected to work with a fake triggering.
See also sketch here on placement

48 minutes ago, foxfreejack said:

I don't know that there are other hardware revisions, but on mine I found a leaf switch near the hinge (see the image), it can be blocked from making contact to ground and would make the device think it's open permanently.

FxTec-Pro1-Leaf-Switch.jpg

Ooh, thanks for this. I tested pressing that down on mine with a little screwdriver, didn't seem to have much effect. Apparently my microphone on the device is also dead. So...I'm gonna send it in to FxTec and let 'em replace the screen + fix whatever I did when I dropped it again. Even if the device has to take a few months break and/or be a backup device, I want to have it for the long haul.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, foxfreejack said:

I don't know that there are other hardware revisions, but on mine I found a leaf switch near the hinge (see the image), it can be blocked from making contact to ground and would make the device think it's open permanently.

As far as I know this is not a switch.
My guess is that it is a spring dampening the close.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

As far as I know this is not a switch.
My guess is that it is a spring dampening the close.

Right, that seems to be a small spring.
There is a screw which locks it to the base and it is curved similarly like some battery connections of older phones.

It is definitively not a switch, the "switch" is a hall effect sensor combined with a magnet at the opposite part.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, VaZso said:

Right, that seems to be a small spring.
There is a screw which locks it to the base and it is curved similarly like some battery connections of older phones.

It is definitively not a switch, the "switch" is a hall effect sensor combined with a magnet at the opposite part.

Hi,

I just did the experiment and yep, contact or not it still detects when display is closed.

18 minutes ago, foxfreejack said:

I just did the experiment and yep, contact or not it still detects when display is closed.

How?

Haven't you tried to check it using a magnetized screwdriver?
It seems the magnet at display side is really close, so there should be a hall effect sensor relatively close to that spring.

• Like 1