Pro1X, Nfc only working for some tag-types

• 3 months later...
1 minute ago, DillonM said:

So is it a hardware compatibility or software issue? Is this likely to be resolved in a newer build at some point? 

Your guess is as good as mine, but I HOPE it is just software, but I do not know. But even if it is 'merely' software, I doubt it will have high priority, so I would not expect it to be fixed quickly - but that is just my guess of course.

17 hours ago, DillonM said:

ya improving mobile connectivity is probably a higher need than troubleshooting a single brand's nfc non-reading.

I agree, but then again, some important applications seem to be affected; I'll try again at some point, but until now I haven't been able to use my NFC-chipped German identity card to authoritatively identify myself on the internet, something which, although not yet as widespread as could be wished, is the most convenient of authoritative identification methods available so far, with cumbersome video chat identification services or physically going to a post office with your identity card or passport being the alternatives... (Such an authoritative identification is, for example, required to buy a SIM card in this country.)

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

I agree, but then again, some important applications seem to be affected; I'll try again at some point, but until now I haven't been able to use my NFC-chipped German identity card to authoritatively identify myself on the internet, something which, although not yet as widespread as could be wished, is the most convenient of authoritative identification methods available so far, with cumbersome video chat identification services or physically going to a post office with your identity card or passport being the alternatives... (Such an authoritative identification is, for example, required to buy a SIM card in this country.)

Indeed. I Just (on the Pro1X), installed the Danish official identity app "MitID" (that really ought to be galled ShitID, as the app is extremely poor quality). It identified a Danish passport NFC-chip with no issues. That the app hung up later and required a reinstall is another matter... lousy app.

The newest update of the poor app can no longer even start on Android 9 - It just hangs with no messages!! (Even after several attempted uninstall and reinstall). A fortnight ago it did sort of 'work' (though often crashing claiming rooted) on the Pro1. (The broken app was why I tried on the Pro1X as MitId is practically mandatory in Denmark for adults, so 1M+ users. with an abysmal rating, currently 1.4 on both Android Market and aPple sTore , Few apps are rated worse, with that many users!!!

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Indeed. I Just (on the Pro1X), installed the Danish official identity app "MitID" (that really ought to be galled ShitID, as the app is extremely poor quality). It identified a Danish passport NFC-chip with no issues. That the app hung up later and required a reinstall is another matter... lousy app.

The newest update of the poor app can no longer even start on Android 9 - It just hangs with no messages!! (Even after several attempted uninstall and reinstall). A fortnight ago it did sort of 'work' (though often crashing claiming rooted) on the Pro1. (The broken app was why I tried on the Pro1X as MitId is practically mandatory in Denmark for adults, so 1M+ users. with an abysmal rating, currently 1.4 on both Android Market and aPple sTore , Few apps are rated worse, with that many users!!!

Ok, 1.4 is abysmal...! The German "Ausweisapp2" at least has a 2.9...

Good news, by the way, regarding the Pro1X: I actually managed to read the ID card now! I'll post how to hold it in a separate thread.

• Like 1
On 8/27/2022 at 12:32 AM, EskeRahn said:

On the bank card with the weird loop I sketched above, the reader have to be precisely over the red three-wire 'centre-line' if I move just 1-2 mm above or below it does not see it! Nor does it If I turn the card.

I have since these experiment placed the Pro1X in a shell-case, and added a soft piece of 'lens paper' to reduce the potential 'scratching' from the case to the back.

This have the odd side-effect that the NFC now works fine with this card in the top area where it is surrounded by four windings!!! So I guess the signal was somehow to STRONG within all four windings outside the case, but worked with three, and with the added 'dampening' it works with four. Weird!!!!!

• 1 month later...

Hey there, I was one of the lucky ones, receiving their pro1x  with the first batch in late August. Using it as a daily driver since October or something with the Stock android GSM free version. 

However I just came across a strange behavior of my NFC sensor. The first thing I tested it with, was my German identity card, which is read by an specific authentication app, which worked fine. Then I tested several other NFC devices like tags, credit cards and an yubikey. None of the later got any response from the phone. Does anyone else have encountered similar problems or do your NFC-sensors work just fine?

Do you think the issue could be solved on os level, or do you think this is a hardware or driver issue, which can not be fixed? I thinking about switching to LOS with microg, maybe the problem could disappear then?

Thanks in advance for your answers and comments!

I already found it difficult to read out my German id card, but eventually I succeeded, too. But there seems to be a general NFC issue that prevents some tag types to be read, including those in the Yubikeys. Not sure whether the reason is hardware or software, but if it is software, I would suspect it is in the device-specific parts which need to be incorporated into LineageOS as they are and which could only be fixed by the manufacturer, which doesn't seem to have too much resources there as of now. 

thanks for merging and sorry for not finding this post, seems the search on this forum is not very powerfull, since I didn't find this thread.

it's sad to hear, that this seems to be a not so easy to fix bug. I just bought an yubikey 5c so I can use it over the usb port. I was actually able to get it to work with two otg adapters, on from usb a to micro, and one from micro to usb c, so the otg bug seems to be fixed or noneexisting in the gsm free version of the stock android.

thanks also for the lots of research @EskeRahn I always enjoy reading your answers.

• Like 2

@eorg, thanks, yes indeed it is very tiresome that we have to search for at the least four character words, so no luck looking for NFC, SIM, GSM, LTE, ROM, LOS or similar abbreviations. Not to mention even shorter stuff like 4G.

I would have preferred if the search system had somehow white-listed common very short words, likely to be used.

(Actually to find the thread I searched for passport, that I knew was mentioned in the text....)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • 2 months later...

What's the fix on this? I sent my device back (after a lot of cajoling) to fix the wifi/antenna issue and while that's still not great I am going to keep monitoring it.

Whereas the NFC worked before it no longer does so at all on any tag type. I contacted support and they said it's a software issue seeing as it took them nearly 4 months to return it I don't know if the subsequent updates did break it.

I'm on build v2.1.2_20220707. Android 11 security update 1 June 2022. 

So as far as I can tell these updates are from before I sent it back in March 2023 other than the security update.

6 hours ago, phoebus2000 said:

I'm on build v2.1.2_20220707. Android 11 security update 1 June 2022. 

AFAIK there is only one release build for the Pro1X (There are some newer Beta, but that is a different story)