Unable to lock bootloader

Hey community,

it's my first time after long time ago - last time was with the good old Motorola Droid 4 - to work with the developer tools.

So I try to lock my Pro1X with the step by step manual. But at step 5, when I enter in the PowerShell command line: "Then, enter the following command: fastboot flashing lock"  - absolutly nothing happend on the device. PowerShell show me only the words "< waiting for any device >"

Did I anything wrong or can anybody help me, what I have to do to lock my Android?

Thanks!

Try "Fastboot devices".
If the phone is in fastboot mode it should return an Id

Fastboot is generally more 'picky' on the port&cable combination.

Does ADB work? (slightly less picky)

If not, it could be driver, could be port, could be cable....
When I got a new PC, it did not work at all, with any port or any cable I had. but going through a hub things worked....

Thanks for your quick answer.

I tried a couple of cable and all usb ports on my Laptop incl. an usb hub. It's unlikely the same situation

The ADB work, the phone will be found, the "reboot bootloader" order do what it has to do. My laptop give the sounds, that an usb devices is disconnected and connected.

But after the bootloader screen is shown on the Pro1X nothing happend. It doesn't matter if I try "adb devices" or "fastboot devices" or anything else. The phone give absolutly no response and PowerShell hang on and waiting for any device... 

Maybe a picture will help: grafik.png.205dc3873313804b27a00af4810302e5.png

Have anyone else problems like that?

Now the expert question: is it really necessary to lock my phone or have I any other option to lock it?

On 9/5/2022 at 4:07 PM, Markus said:

PowerShell show me only the words "< waiting for any device >"

Interesting. Maybe try installing the Google USB driver: https://developer.android.com/studio/run/win-usb and try again. I'd suggest only installing the .zip file, no need to go through the whole process via Android Studio. 

Reboot your Pro1-X to fastbootd by:

adb reboot fastboot

Then on your Windows PC, go to Windows Start Menu -> Device Manager -> your_device_name, if there is an exclamation mark next to your device, right click and select update driver. Choose the option where you can upload from your local disk rather than Windows searching for an update. Then, locate the extract usb_driver_r13-windows.zip folder and select the "usb_driver" folder. 

Once complete, reboot your phone to bootloader again:

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flashing lock

I'm not 100% sure this will work (others feel free to correct me), but this problem where nothing returns in fastboot devices is most likely due to your PC not recognising your Pro1-X under such mode. I'd also suggest you trying with a different USB-C cable if necessary.

• Thanks 4

Thanks very much!

That's works!

I updated my USB Driver via Windows Update Database, make a factory reset on the Pro1X and try to start the fastboot flashing three times... now it's locked! Crazy...

maybe one of the problems was the complete data transfer between my old blackberry and the Pro1X, who knows 🤷‍♂

Now I can explore the Pro1X completely 😃🤓

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hey there, I tried to root my pro1x, but I am stuck at the 

fastboot flash boot ./magisk_patched-25200_mggB1.img

part. While I do see the connected device in fastboot mode, I do not see it in bootloader mode. The trick with the installation of the google drivers didn't do the trick for me. it helped in fastboot mode, but not in bootloader mode, the driver update window just says:

Driver couldn't be installed, the system did not find any drivers for the device.

Although I selected the google usb drivers zip content, which did the trick in fastboot mode.

Any ideas or advises? I already tried all available usb ports and a usb hub on my computer :-/

Can't I just flash in fastboot mode? Does it has to be bootloader mode?

16 hours ago, eorg said:

fastboot flash boot ./magisk_patched-25200_mggB1.img

What happens after you enter this command under bootloader? If successful, this command should return something like "Finished. Total time: 2.604s".

Then all you have to do is to reboot your phone again:

fastboot reboot

From here, you just have to open the Magisk app again and see if there is a version info next to "Installed" under Magisk section. 

If this doesn't help, I'll be posting a user manual shortly on how to root your Pro1-X via Magisk. Stay tuned for it in the Documentation tab :D. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, eorg said:

Can't I just flash in fastboot mode? Does it has to be bootloader mode?

18 minutes ago, Casey said:

What happens after you enter this command under bootloader?

I think @eorg is mistaking recovery for bootloader. He/she wrote that fastboot does work in "fastboot-mode" but not in "bootloader-mode", which makes no sense because the two are the same ...

• Haha 1

Hey, thank's for the quick replay. 

@claude0001 I'm sorry, I was not very precise by naming it "mode" in fact, when I call:

adb reboot bootloader

I get an menu looking like this:

image.png.7dcb656a04a48da32fdbff1965edcb11.png

image from https://www.thecustomdroid.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Boot-Realme-6-Pro-Fastboot-Mode.jpg;

but in my case it says "device state - unlocked".

fastboot devices

does not return anything, ant the "android" device in the device manager has an yellow exclamation mark. Attempts to install the google drivers fail.

when I call:

adb reboot fastboot

I get a menu looking like this:

image.png.2845a2c6ca2a5054bc69da307fc5a38b.png

image from https://technewspedia.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/nbspFastboot-Rescue-Modenbsp-What-is-it-How-to.jpg;

In this case, the call:

fastboot devices

returns my device, the device in the in the device manager was properly installed, after using the google drivers, linked by @Casey in an earlier post.

I didn't try the flash command, I'm afraid to brick my phone, if the connection is not working properly.

@Casey thanks for the link to the documentation, I think I had an earlier version of this found in some link here on the forum.

btw: I identify as male, thanks for the sensitivity :-)

Odd, that looks like two different graphical layouts of the bootloader. Never seen that.

I did everything fastboot (on Pro1, no X!) from the bootloader screen like on your first picture. That is the one I get when selecting "restart to bootloader" from LineageOS.

You are right that a bad fastboot flash may mess up your data. However you should always be able to reach the bootloader for a full reinstall by holding "volume down" while powering the device. Make sure you have a full battery before any flashing experiments!

If you have a bad feeling about your fastboot connections, I repeat my advice given several times here: fastboot is really picky about the USB hardware of the PC. I use a Raspberry Pi2 for all my flashing. Over the ears, Its humble USB2 bus proved rock-solid for that purpose, no need to mess with Google drivers, and the sdk tools are just an "apt install" away in Rasbian.

Yes, I've tried all possible configurations with my phone and my pc. Unfortunately none of this worked. I don't have a pi available, so that does not help either, but good to know! 

I just checked how to accesse the usb devices by wsl, but it looks like this only works on windows 11 (which my pc doesn't support, and to be honest, I don't want to go there anyway) or with a custom build wsl kernel, which sounds like a lot of work :-/.

Anyone knows whether using the fastboot in this shown fastboot menu is save as well?

Thanks for the reminder, that I can access the bootloader with hardware keys as well, but as long as I'm not able to connect to my device in the bootloader, this does not help :-/.

May be I can setup adb on one of the pc's laying on the shelf for years now, and maybe they work. but this as well, is a lot of effort, they lay on the shelf for a reason (seenoevil) 

Okay, I'm through my notebook, my wifes notebook, an old notebook from the shelf (running windows 7, at wasn't able to get any connection with the phone) and fixed my desktop. None of the available 14 usb ports worked. I'm starting to believe, that I am the problem :-(.

Has someone any other suggestions?

Do you think it could work from a portable linux installation? Or do I have to fully install it on one of the devices in order to try it out?

And another thing: I figured out, that my pro1x doesn't enter bootloader, when holding "volume down" whil powering up, instead I see a dead droid, which should be the (in stock android not available) recovery, right? Do I have a faulty device, or is that normal? should the fastboot work from that screen, maybe? Or may I be able to fix that bug, by flasching the stock android (if I can get that far...)?

22 minutes ago, eorg said:

my pro1x doesn't enter bootloader, when holding "volume down" whil powering up, instead I see a dead droid, which should be the (in stock android not available) recovery, right? Do I have a faulty device, or is that normal?

That is normal for Stock Android-- that is the recovery.  You should see "Start" near the power button.  If yyou use the volume up or volume down rocker you should be able to cycle through a number of choices including reboot to bootloader.  Start does a system restart.  You pick your option with volume and then hit the power button to make it happen.

Another question, maybe @Casey is able to answer, is it possible to replace the "boot.img" file in the unzipped stock android with the patched one by magisk ("magisk_patched-25200_mggB1.img") in order to flash directly a rooted version of the system instead of the stock one? That way I would be able to flash from edl mode, like explained in the official guide to flash the stock rom, instead of bootloader, which still does not work for me :-/. (if I get edl to work...)

41 minutes ago, eorg said:

No, I don't have any choices, there is only "no command" written in the center of the screen, nothing else. I was not able to access the bootloader without adb.

Okay, I guess it is just too long since I had stock Android on my Pro1.  Sorry.

• Haha 2
On 9/10/2022 at 9:46 PM, eorg said:

is it possible to replace the "boot.img" file in the unzipped stock android with the patched one by magisk ("magisk_patched-25200_mggB1.img") in order to flash directly a rooted version of the system instead of the stock one?

I'm not sure about this one, I haven't tested it out. Maybe someone more familiar with this can comment here.

On 9/9/2022 at 3:46 PM, eorg said:

does not return anything, ant the "android" device in the device manager has an yellow exclamation mark. Attempts to install the google drivers fail.

If installing the USB driver fails, it could indicate that your PC has enabled "Driver Signature Enforcement". You could try to restart your computer to advanced recovery menu and disable this option and try again. More information about this process can be found here.

You could also try with a different type-c cable too? In an unlikely case, the cable may not be able to facilitate data transfer. I had an issue once where I was able to boot my Pro1 into bootloader but fastboot couldn't detect my device. Later when I changed nothing but the cable and it was able to recognise.. Hope this is helpful to you.

• Thanks 4
2 hours ago, Casey said:

You could also try with a different type-c cable too? In an unlikely case, the cable may not be able to facilitate data transfer. I had an issue once where I was able to boot my Pro1 into bootloader but fastboot couldn't detect my device. Later when I changed nothing but the cable and it was able to recognise.. Hope this is helpful to you.

Indeed, we have several reports that fastboot is more picky than adb.
I have a feeling that older pc's generally works better than new pc's. That is also why a simple hub inserted between the pc and phone sometimes can do the trick.

@Casey you are my hero! Thank's for the link, it contained finally a solution to the driver issue. In fact I just had to select the driver from a list on my computer manually. I could have come to this on my own, but I was obviously to blindfolded to see this solution...

So thank's to all of you for your support!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
22 hours ago, eorg said:

In fact I just had to select the driver from a list on my computer manually

Hah, that's what you are suppose to do.. Sorry if I didn't make that clear before ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On 9/10/2022 at 9:46 PM, eorg said:

is it possible to replace the "boot.img" file in the unzipped stock android with the patched one by magisk ("magisk_patched-25200_mggB1.img") in order to flash directly a rooted version of the system instead of the stock one?

And I can confirm this works, I tested it out. You will need to have your bootloader/OEM unlocked before you commence this process.

Glad everything worked out in the end 😄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1