Jump to content

DIY battery replacement options?


Recommended Posts

28 minutes ago, SchattengestaIt said:

Yes, exactly. Sadly, they don't tell you about shipping cost. So you'll have to pay for the batteries in the first step, then you pay 60-100€ shipping fees and then you pay additional import fees. So it's a good idea to order many batteries to either resell them or use them in the next years. The battery cells themselves are super cheap.
I ended up paying around 75€ for five cells which is alright. Especially considering that a new battery from Pro1 (1 piece) costs 130€ with shipping fees.

 

I ordered 20!  🤣

We'll see what they charge for shipping to the USA.  I picked EMS delivery.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Drum roll, please.....🥁 Meet Peaseley (one of my daughters named him). Last photo is my original Pro1 next to the stack of new batteries.  Looks like a match.🔋

@MonCon, Peaseley thanks you for your well wishes.  Considering all he's been through, I think he is doing quite well.  Here he is post sew-up. As you can see, he has managed to ke

For my po1x I got this 2250mah twix deal https://aliexpress.ru/item/1005005043077240.html?sku_id=12000031429438778 short circuited it a few too many times while removing and attaching the boards, an

Posted Images

9 hours ago, david said:

Self made phone??

Self assembled fits better, I guess.
https://community.fxtec.com/topic/4062-self-built-slider/?tab=comments#comment-68381

 

For your order: you can change the shipping method after they received your items. Then you can check if other shipping methods are cheaper than the selected one.
Strangely, it was more expensive to deliver by ship than via AirMail for me.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

@EskeRahn also had problems with delivery and I think he refunded the order since he never received the package.

I have just given up, and requested a refund from Paypal. They Immediately refunded the $35,53 USD, but the original $21.98 USD, awaits a reaction from the seller - but at the least I got 61% back, I can live with the rest being lost....

  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2024 at 5:42 PM, david said:

I ordered 20!  🤣

We'll see what they charge for shipping to the USA.  I picked EMS delivery.

They canceled my order. They said it was either restricted for purchase or shipping.  I modified it to be 10 batteries and picked air mail instead of EMS.  We'll see what happens with that.

Update:  I also created another order for 10 batteries and specified DHL shipping for that one.

Edited by david
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, david said:

They canceled my order. They said it was either restricted for purchase or shipping.  I modified it to be 10 batteries and picked air mail instead of EMS.  We'll see what happens with that.

Update:  I also created another order for 10 batteries and specified DHL shipping for that one.

I admire your effort, hope you will have better luck than me.
I used PayPal to pay, and that proved wise, as it seems I will get the money I paid back...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2024 at 1:53 AM, EskeRahn said:

I admire your effort, hope you will have better luck than me.
I used PayPal to pay, and that proved wise, as it seems I will get the money I paid back...

Did you somehow reverse it through PayPal?

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2024 at 9:25 PM, david said:

They canceled my order. They said it was either restricted for purchase or shipping.  I modified it to be 10 batteries and picked air mail instead of EMS.  We'll see what happens with that.

Update:  I also created another order for 10 batteries and specified DHL shipping for that one.

My first order, where I updated it to air mail, was canceled again. The reason this time was "we were not able to purchase it.". 

The second order, where I picked DHL, shows a status of "purchased".  The hover over on that states, "ordered, but not yet shipped by seller".  Very odd.  It seems like each time an order is placed, it is like rolling the dice.  Fingers crossed on this second order.

Edited by david
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if there is another service that can do the order from the real source instead of parcelup?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, david said:

My first order, where I updated it to air mail, was canceled. The reason was "we were not able to purchase it.".  The second order, where I picked DHL, shows a status of "purchased".  The hover over on that states, "ordered, but not yet shipped by seller".  Very odd.  It seems like each time an order is placed, it is like rolling the dice.

In my case I think they got the repacked them and sent them. However some paperwork might have been wrong as it got stuck somewhere on December 18, two weeks after it was sent.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

In my case I think they got the repacked them and sent them. However some paperwork might have been wrong as it got stuck somewhere on December 18, two weeks after it was sent.

That might be why they will no longer purchase them!  🤣

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Possible - if so, sorry ....

Danes...always causing trouble for the world.  😂🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, david said:

My first order, where I updated it to air mail, was canceled again. The reason this time was "we were not able to purchase it.". 

The second order, where I picked DHL, shows a status of "purchased".  The hover over on that states, "ordered, but not yet shipped by seller".  Very odd.  It seems like each time an order is placed, it is like rolling the dice.  Fingers crossed on this second order.

My second order shows that the item has been shipped to parcelup and they are now waiting for it to arrive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, david said:

My second order shows that the item has been shipped to parcelup and they are now waiting for it to arrive.

The status changed to "arrived".  I paid shipping charges of $105.34.

185583h1.thumb.jpg.b19413b5591e34d86cfc969c0f513868.jpg
 

I'm a little disappointed that I won't be getting a stuffed animal.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/28/2024 at 8:15 AM, david said:

The status changed to "arrived".  I paid shipping charges of $105.34.

It now shows as shipped, and I have a DHL tracking number.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/23/2024 at 2:31 AM, nshan said:

 


I wouldn't say holy, more like cheapskate emergency grail, since it's a whole amp hour less than the original, and requires a lot of elbow grease to replace.

Yes, I took the board off the original battery, it was soldered so came out clean. The replacement was similarly attached to its own board, but I ended up physically breaking it off by repeatedly folding the tabs, which I guess made them a bit shorter. If you are better than me with a soldering iron, or maybe use a heat gun you should be able to de-solder those as well, and that will give you a better surface to work with. They of course didn't align with pro1x's board so had to solder those "horns" from the first photo onto them, and add that extra insulation in the middle, so that they don't touch the components on the board once folded, since you need to fold it down to fit it in. Otherwise just replaced the outer insulation that was already there. I was going to take photos of all that, but got carried away and ended with just those two 😄

It's working well so far for my use cases, usually just fast charge it once a day or twice if I'm doing something heavy for a long period of time, which in my case is either a game or ffmpeg. It's noticeably less than the original, but usable, pretty much as you would expect. I haven't dropped it yet, so durability is in question, though in general I guess it would depend on your own hacking skillz.

A couple questions:

Did you use aluminum flux when soldering?

Are these batteries a single cell or more than one cell?  The reason I am asking is because I am pondering using an external charger to keep the spare batteries charged over time.  The chargers have connectors for balancing the cells, but it requires extra wires coming from the batteries.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, david said:

A couple questions:

Did you use aluminum flux when soldering?

Are these batteries a single cell or more than one cell?  The reason I am asking is because I am pondering using an external charger to keep the spare batteries charged over time.  The chargers have connectors for balancing the cells, but it requires extra wires coming from the batteries.  

Rosin flux 😁

Are you considering my ugly hack after all? It's two cells with a massive board and two connectors, and I have no idea what all that's about, but the punchline is that I took it apart and just used one cell.

Here is what's left of itleftovers.thumb.jpg.de7c18d584060d46806ef2e772804916.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, nshan said:

Rosin flux 😁

Are you considering my ugly hack after all? It's two cells with a massive board and two connectors, and I have no idea what all that's about, but the punchline is that I took it apart and just used one cell.

Here is what's left of itleftovers.thumb.jpg.de7c18d584060d46806ef2e772804916.jpg

 

Oh yeah, I forgot that your battery started with 2 cells, but you separated them.   I will probably attempt something similar, but with the batteries that @SchattengestaItbought. 

I haven't taken my Pro1 X apart yet, so I won't mess with that.  I will probably take the bms and connector off the MI 6 battery I bought for testing with my Pro1.   I proved that it would power the Pro1.  I still have that phone taken apart.  We'll see if the BMS likes the new batteries and how the plug orientation works.  This all assumes that the new batteries arrive on their long journey from China.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/30/2024 at 8:42 AM, david said:

It now shows as shipped, and I have a DHL tracking number.

I got another email update today, where it said shipped again.  The tracking info didn't show it had gone anywhere yet.  But then later in the morning, I got a text from DHL.  It said I should receive the package 3 days from now (Thurs, April 4th).  Assuming that isn't an April Fools joke, I should have some batteries in hand this week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, david said:

I got another email update today, where it said shipped again.  The tracking info didn't show it had gone anywhere yet.  But then later in the morning, I got a text from DHL.  It said I should receive the package 3 days from now (Thurs, April 4th).  Assuming that isn't an April Fools joke, I should have some batteries in hand this week.

There was a link in the text from DHL.  I clicked on that and it said that I should fill out some fields for a no signature required delivery.  I specified where to leave the package, agreed they aren't liable, and digitally signed my name.  I am not sure what would have happened if I didn't see these fields and fill out the fields.  They may have left a note or something instead of leaving the package.

I also found more shipping status info from that link, in a tracking subpage:

Status
Shipment has departed from a DHL facility HONG KONG - HONG KONG SAR, CHINA : Tuesday, April 02, 2024 at 1:07 AM

Shipper
KUSDOM

Shipper address
ROOM E,13/F,GOLDEN DRAGON INDUSTRIA BLOCK 1,152 TAI LIN PAI ROAD,KWAI C HONGKONG Block 1,152 Tai Lin Pai Road,Kwai C HONGKONG

Edited by david
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/1/2024 at 1:25 PM, david said:

There was a link in the text from DHL.  I clicked on that and it said that I should fill out some fields for a no signature required delivery.  I specified where to leave the package, agreed they aren't liable, and digitally signed my name.  I am not sure what would have happened if I didn't see these fields and fill out the fields.  They may have left a note or something instead of leaving the package.

I also found more shipping status info from that link, in a tracking subpage:

Status
Shipment has departed from a DHL facility HONG KONG - HONG KONG SAR, CHINA : Tuesday, April 02, 2024 at 1:07 AM

Shipper
KUSDOM

Shipper address
ROOM E,13/F,GOLDEN DRAGON INDUSTRIA BLOCK 1,152 TAI LIN PAI ROAD,KWAI C HONGKONG Block 1,152 Tai Lin Pai Road,Kwai C HONGKONG

My package left Hong Kong on 4/2 and arrived in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, on 4/1.  Not sure how the time travel will affect the batteries.  I am hoping they will gain capacity as they age instead of lose it.  If the effect is exponential, one day I hope to never need to charge my phone again.  😅

It also looks like it cleared USA customs:

Screenshot_20240402-151657.thumb.png.5fa6edfe8dff2efdaecb81cf9c4ed7db.png

Fingers crossed for no troublesome adhoc'ers.

 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2024 at 3:22 PM, david said:

My package left Hong Kong on 4/2 and arrived in Cincinnati, Ohio, USA, on 4/1.  Not sure how the time travel will affect the batteries.  I am hoping they will gain capacity as they age instead of lose it.  If the effect is exponential, one day I hope to never need to charge my phone again.  😅

It also looks like it cleared USA customs:

Screenshot_20240402-151657.thumb.png.5fa6edfe8dff2efdaecb81cf9c4ed7db.png

Fingers crossed for no troublesome adhoc'ers.

 

Drum roll, please.....🥁

Meet Peaseley (one of my daughters named him).

PXL_20240403_173902090.thumb.jpg.7ae5fcbfc4908b8573ffed371fd7a84a.jpg


PXL_20240403_174524061.thumb.jpg.3fb2252117e2efe39f06d006f56f0b22.jpg

PXL_20240403_174840949.thumb.jpg.d6541906f2c656995d5b77e001c67a8a.jpg

PXL_20240403_174852763.thumb.jpg.9859a157668bbf2340e1b09dc0ec55de.jpg

PXL_20240403_175423438.thumb.jpg.189e19b6f128c6daff1df21a3a78b7e6.jpg

Last photo is my original Pro1 next to the stack of new batteries.  Looks like a match.🔋

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, david said:

Meet Peaseley (one of my daughters named him).

I wonder if that counts as "installed in", or this was actually smuggled in...

I guess that if similar was done with mine, they might have been confiscated in customs here as an attempt to smuggle them in. If so a bit odd I have not been contacted by the police. Could also be that some just stole the doll hoping it to contain some drugs.... I mean at an x-ray it might look like some bars of drugs?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms