New Pro1X (Android) won't charge or turn on

11 hours ago, jack4uno said:

I am assuming Fxtec offices would be in the UK. I am located in the Philippines and shipping would be extremely costly for me. 

Thanks for the idea, I'll consider showing that instruction video to a local repair shop. I fear the hinge won't be as snappy and smooth after the repair. Curious to know how was your experience with it? Thank you. 

I replaced my usb board in the past, so had to disassemble and reassemble the phone.  I didn't notice any difference in the hinge.  The hinge mechanism didn't need to be disassembled -- just the screen and the keyboard.  My pro1 is currently still disassembled, but I am using my Pro1X now.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, jack4uno said:

I am assuming Fxtec offices would be in the UK. I am located in the Philippines and shipping would be extremely costly for me. 

Thanks for the idea, I'll consider showing that instruction video to a local repair shop. I fear the hinge won't be as snappy and smooth after the repair. Curious to know how was your experience with it? Thank you. 

For what it's worth, I did take my Pro1 to a local repair shop.  I gave them the videos and they had no problem and my Pro1 is fine.  They actually thought  the Pro1 was cool and were a little excited to work on it.  It was just for a screen replacement because I lost all touch screen capability (didn't respond to touch) but when replacing the screen didn't change that, they did some further investigation,  They didn't find the problem (I ended up sending to to FxTec knowing at that time I had to wait 6 months for parts)  but they did a great job (FxTec, of course, also did a great job). 

My point is, a good repair shop should be able to do a good job of taking the phone apart... let them have the videos and give them the warnings from this thread.  Ultimately, an active shop that do a lot of phones are experienced with small electronics and have all the right tools. 

However, another question is, do you have another phone you can fall back on?  Your Pro1x is still under warranty.  It might take a good bit of time for setting up, shipping and getting it back, but it might really be worth it to send to London (you will pay for shipping, but the repair and parts should be free).  Youy would contact them with a service request and they will arrange it with you and tell you how to send it to them more cheaply (they have very specific instructions).  It will take time however as they are not always quick at communication, but I have always received great customer service from them as long as I was patient.

Just some thoughts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 4 months later...

So, 8 months ago I opened a bug report on the Lineage gitlab concerning the fact the the fastboot commands do not work to prevent booting when charging. Nolen Johnson just officially closed it as unsolvable by the Lineage folks.  They would need to be able to control the bootloader and they have no access to do that (that's my paraphrase of what Nolen said on gitlab).

So, in fact, probably cant be easily fixed by any alternative OS.

• Sad 2
On 12/25/2023 at 1:16 PM, Hook said:

So, 8 months ago I opened a bug report on the Lineage gitlab concerning the fact the the fastboot commands do not work to prevent booting when charging. Nolen Johnson just officially closed it as unsolvable by the Lineage folks.  They would need to be able to control the bootloader and they have no access to do that (that's my paraphrase of what Nolen said on gitlab).

So, in fact, probably cant be easily fixed by any alternative OS.

Pretty strange outcome when the stock Android ROM did not suffer from this problem.

The problem only arose after installing LOS.

That would strongly suggest that it was a LOS issue introduced at that point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Name_not_avail said:

The problem only arose after installing LOS.

I got a blue Pro1X on stock android, bought via Expensys. And I can confirm this respects the fastboot setting for NOT booting (completely) when power is applied when off.
It does load some Android kernel stuff though, but ends in a battery-charging image/ikon

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I got a blue Pro1X on stock android, bought via Expensys. And I can confirm this respects the fastboot setting for NOT booting (completely) when power is applied when off.
It does load some Android kernel stuff though, but ends in a battery-charging image/ikon

Interesting.  Nolen said it didn't work in stock either.  But looking back at my original Gitlab bug report, I said it did work on stock.  It has been so long since I have used stock, I had forgotten.  So, strange.  I'm staying with Lineage nonetheless.  I'm just careful not to let my Pro1x discharge too much. 

So, if I take Nolan's explanation at face value, maybe stock blobs can interact with the bootloader in a way that Lineage can't? Not that I understand any of this.

Curious if we can get @npjohnson to pop in.   Or maybe @Sean McCreary has a clue.

42 minutes ago, Hook said:

So, if I take Nolan's explanation at face value, maybe stock blobs can interact with the bootloader in a way that Lineage can't? Not that I understand any of this.

Could be a matter of words here, as it DOES boot some android kernel up, before start charging, and it might be that they meant could not be avoided.

• 6 months later...