I use now wireless charging everywhere. Its so handy, I also was disappointed after I figured out that its not supported :-(.

I don't want to have the hassle with the charging cables anymore. USB-C/MicroUSB/Apple... => Qi is the solution right now for hassle free charging.

Wireless charge is quite handy, but has a backside.

Wireless chargers all has a rather limited efficiency, typically 50% and you should praise yourself lucky if it is 75%

The rest end as heat.

"And so what?" You might say. Well the WORST thing you can do for the overall life of a LiIon battery is to charge it heated...

And as user replaceable batteries are getting rare, the lifespan of the battery really matters!

So we should either charge very slowly wireless, or use cabled. And fast charge wired should also be used with caution, especial when beyond 50% capacity.

Do not misunderstand, it is not that individual charges destroys things, it just wear it a bit harder than a slower charge. Compare it driving an ordinary car the same distance at at 50Km/h or 200Km/h, the second will be slightly worse.

You can find a lot of blah blah on my blog on how to optimize stamina and lifespan for batteries start e.g. here

• Thanks 2

one part of the phone can have a wireless charging area, bottom-middle? so the phone keeps it strong elements. The pro1 will gain some weight, but that is something less worse than carrying cables around.

We like the retro element keyboard, but it is still 2019, we do not need cables anymore?

Adding and USB-C QI-adapter is a possibility, but not for me, I want to be able to use the USB-C port for other topics, as example screen, or to deploy, debug apps. I don't want to have that hassle, to plugin in and out.

The Qi efficiency is between 60% and 95%, depending on the charger, I also don't see any heat issues with my chargers, they are not cold but by far not "hot", only in the car when the navigation is on and its charged... then the phone heats up, independent if I use a cable or not.

Wauw 95%! where did you find that? Sounds like a miracle to me. Even a transformer with an iron core to help the magnetic transfer would have trouble reaching that. But yes 50% is a bad charger, 60-70% typically would most likely be more fair in 2019.

And indeed as you mention in a car it is often vertically mounted, and that helps by simple convective cooling.

The slower the charger the less the waste, and that means less heat, and thus less trouble. Region/season also matter, as, to LiIon, "Hot" already starts at around 30°C. So even a small raise in warmer climate matters.

As a general advice on the use in a car for sat-navigation, I advice to try to be sure the battery is fully charged before starting the navigation. This way the battery is 'inactive' during the process, so the heating done by the cpu+powering does not hurt the battery.

We know wireless charge isn't efficiency and can warm up battery but wire charge too. If you do that for lifetime, all my phone especially my E7 (RIP), stop work because charge port have broken... Your phone position between mid-class and flagship, today all mid-class phone are QI standards, that's a deal breaker for many customers.

achat_marken, just saw this post, That could be the reason. I do not know.

Indeed wired charging ALSO warms up the battery, and the faster the worse. The issue is that it warms more with wireless, as the waste of the transfer through the coil ads onto the heat generated by the charging it self.

So if you want to be kind to the battery you charge it wired over night by e.g. an old 500mA charger, or a PC port. But indeed the USB port is a vulnerable part of any phone, so this could also shorten the life of the device before service is needed... So we will need to handle it carefully, and be glad the port is not needed to use headphones as on most these days.

So I guess the best compromise would be to charge any device wireless with an old slow charger, but by half of 500mA, it might not even have time to charge a device fully overnight. *LOL*

There are also Qi chargers which have built in vents to cool the phone while charging. The 95% is from the "German" Wikipedia page and as noted there, measured under ideal (labor) conditions, what ever that means. The issue here is more the combination of a built in LION Battery and Qi charging. But to be honest, none of my phones ever died because of a broken Battery, they were until now all replaceable by the user and lasted mostly under worst treatment at least 2 two years.

My phones mostly also died because of broken HW components as the Note2, Note4 with broken eMMC chips or because they start to become unusable because of too low RAM (Droid4) or broken charging ports or GPS Antennas, Nokia N97.

It's also technically not necessary to place the Qi-charging receiver under the battery. It could be also placed under the logic board, around the cameras. The cooling of the SoC could be used to transfer the "heat" to other places. I also don't know a phone which gets not warm while charging with cable.

A rate of 250mA is not a compromise, it's a joke. If you don't have an Aircondition and you have 27°C during the night, what would you do? Place the phone in a bag of rice and charge it in the fridge?

If I have to limit my self to expand the battery lifetime to a max, because of a not replaceable battery. Well then I guess it's just not the right phone for me, but first I will wait for iFixIt to see if the battery is really not user replaceable.

I'm not talking in absolutes here. Just that we should be aware that things can have a flip side.

I use fast charging from time to time, and also uses wireless charging. Accepting the extra toll.

But I would not use fast wireless charging all the time, no matter how convenient it might feel.

Yes charging with 250mA is a joke - that was the point.. (hence the LOL). It might be academically optimal but not a usable method in real life.

Think of it like human health. We know that eating junk food is bad for us, but doing it occasionally is not a big deal, but if we do it every day it is.

But if we do not know, how are we to know we should avoid it?

Same here. Wireless charging is convenient, and so is fast charging, and also the combination. And it is fine to use it occasionally when we need it, just don't do it for the daily charging if you want the battery to stay healthy..

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes charging with 250mA is a joke – that was the point.. (hence the LOL). It might be academically optimal but not a usable method in real life.

I dunno about what you're using today but 250mA for 8 hours a day is plenty for my existing phone. No joke needed. I average about that because the connector on my old phone is bad and only works half of nights, if i miss one night because of the bad connection i just make sure to be careful the next night. if i miss the next night, i have to leave the phone on the 500mA (real, not rated) charger for a few hours during the day.

The aluminum or magnesium back is a big issue, but wireless charging could also be done through the screen. Efficiency is impacted by a lot of factors, but distance is a huge one, charging through the screen would add a lot of distance so you'd probably want a QI charger with active cooling. The impedance mismatch is at the transmitter, so the power loss is at the transmitter, so the heat is at the transmitter. Of course heat rises so the phone gets the heat unless the charger actively gets rid of it.

I dunno about what you’re using today but 250mA for 8 hours a day is plenty for my existing phone. No joke needed.

Well "joke" was pushing it, but though in principle useful, it is rather impractical for most users daily routines if a device needs over 10 hours for a full charge, I would claim that for the vast majority of users it would be so impractical that it is at the least close to a "joke".

• 5 months later...

Hello :)

I am not a huge fan for Qi charging, my Samsung Galaxy S4 having melt because of it, but i can see the appeal, especially in a car or on your desk.

I was wondering, Still with the S4 in mind, if QI charging plate could be added in the phone by the user ? The S4 had a set of pin inside the back panel you could hook into and many 3rd party developed thin pad who fit in the phone.

In order for this to be possible, we need for the back of the phone to be glass or plastic, not metal, for the mother board to not be glued on the back, and for somewhere to wire it inside.

I never hold the phone (waiting for f(x)tec to ship is soooo hard :( ) So i was hopping people who had, or people how made the phone, could help me burn down this weird idea by telling me it's not possible :D

Hello :)

I am not a huge fan for Qi charging, my Samsung Galaxy S4 having melt because of it, but i can see the appeal, especially in a car or on your desk.

I was wondering, Still with the S4 in mind, if QI charging plate could be added in the phone by the user ? The S4 had a set of pin inside the back panel you could hook into and many 3rd party developed thin pad who fit in the phone.

In order for this to be possible, we need for the back of the phone to be glass or plastic, not metal, for the mother board to not be glued on the back, and for somewhere to wire it inside.

I never hold the phone (waiting for f(x)tec to ship is soooo hard :( ) So i was hopping people who had, or people how made the phone, could help me burn down this weird idea by telling me it’s not possible :D

The back is all metal, so won't do, see rest of the thread

I have used QI wireless adapter in the past for my samsung. it really killed the battery in one year.

i have since using the magnetic adapter to connect usb cable magnetically. it does save my nokia e7. before that when i used to plug normal usb cable all the times it was breaking my e7 usb port many times and each time you give phone for repair it often get another issue or something else breaks because e7 with keyboard and design wasn't easy to replace battery,

but since i am using this magnetic adapter my e7 usb port has never broken.