Video from the Düsseldorf hands-on/preview event

Hi there!

I've had the chance to attend F(x)tec's preview event in Düsseldorf (Germany) this Tuesday and made a short video of it, featuring hi-res shots, a general description of the phone and my impression of it. Check it out:

The video is in German, but there are good English subtitles available.

Cheers and have a nice weekend!

The note about the disassembly caught my attention. Are they claiming that this phone will be easy to repair? Because that’s a plus.

AFAIK almost everything should be accessible for service with screws, yes. Can not wait to see Ifixit get their hands on one...

The reaction of the screen on keyboard being opened/closed is great now, huge improvement can be easily seen on the video. I see that the phone can switch between landscape and portrait mode based on the keyboard being open instead of senor readings, I love it.

Also, I love the fact that the phone is not just permanently glued/soldered like current phones so screen, battery and even USB port as said in the video can be replaced without bigger problems.

It's definitely not a phone that reaches its end of life after two years like most of current ones, it's clearly designed to be a worthy successor for all these old landscape keyboard sliders which can work even today. For a phone offering that much, despite having quite old chip, I think that the price is fair, especially because it seems that we won't have to change the phone for many years.

Can't wait to get it in my hands.

Are they claiming that this phone will be easy to repair? Because that’s a plus.

Making it easy to repair is a priority to them. I overheard Chen talking about that they even changed the way the keyboard is mounted for easier battery replacement. Before, there was a screw underneath the space bar, and to unscrew the back cover you'd basically have to peel of the keyboard (that's glued to its board), which he didn't like. Now the battery should be able to be replaced in 10 minutes without destroying the keyboard glue.

Two of the screw covers you can see on the back of the screen actually don't have screws underneath them, but are simply holes that, when the screen is removed, allow you to put your screwdriver through them to easily access two screws on the keyboard part of the device, without having to take apart the hinge mechanism.

I definitely got the impression that they've put a lot of thought into designing the device to be easily customizable by software and easily repairable.

Hi there!

I’ve had the chance to attend F(x)tec’s preview event in Düsseldorf (Germany) this Tuesday and made a short video of it, featuring hi-res shots, a general description of the phone and my impression of it. Check it out:

The video is in German, but there are good English subtitles available.

Cheers and have a nice weekend!

Thank you for your nice review. I am happy you made me like being there since I could not attend the event. Perfectly made!! And the most important info: "payment will be asked next week" really made my day ;) Thank you!

Are they claiming that this phone will be easy to repair? Because that’s a plus.

Making it easy to repair is a priority to them. I overheard Chen talking about that they even changed the way the keyboard is mounted for easier battery replacement. Before, there was a screw underneath the space bar, and to unscrew the back cover you’d basically have to peel of the keyboard (that’s glued to its board), which he didn’t like. Now the battery should be able to be replaced in 10 minutes without destroying the keyboard glue.

Two of the screw covers you can see on the back of the screen actually don’t have screws underneath them, but are simply holes that, when the screen is removed, allow you to put your screwdriver through them to easily access two screws on the keyboard part of the device, without having to take apart the hinge mechanism.

I definitely got the impression that they’ve put a lot of thought into designing the device to be easily customizable by software and easily repairable.

Danke schön, informatives Video.

I love the fact, that they put so much work into something like the battery-replacement, without making a trouble about it. It seems that while their communication often lacks, they really read and understand what is posted in the forum. It makes spending 650+ on a Smartphone so much easier, knowing you can replace the Battery.