Magnetic cables

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of them.  But not all.  Even from the ones linked, we've had some that do and some that don't.   For example the any-directional one was only usb 2 2.4amp - I liked that one but was disappointed

Yes, I do this all the time with magnetic cables.  My cables are all USB 2.0-- for my uses I've never thought it worth bothering trying t upgrade.  The magnetic adapter goes in when I first recei

The number of times I've put my priv down to wireless charge at night and then found out in the morning it was misaligned... was once. And then I never used the wireless charger again.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Craig said:

Mine just arrived.. look good... similar to hooks pics but not touching flat surface at all... lots of adapters came with em, micro-usb and apple...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TT1CFNG

Those look slick.  The only problem I can see is they only allow for USB 2 data transfer speeds of 480Mbps.  Did you come across any that allow for the more modern speeds?

How well does the usb-c nub stick in the phone?  Is it difficult to accidentally pull it out when pulling on the magnetically connected part of the cables?

I didn't even realize they were only usb 2 😞 but since I mainly use network to transfer files, and don't even have usb 3.0 ports on my laptop it won't be much of an issue for me right now.  But I wouldn't have bought these cables if I realized it.

Since I got a three pack, I got three of each type adapter; I only own three usb-c devices (Moto Z²Force, Pro¹, and a hub I just bought) so put those in.  Put two of the micro usb-adapters on the tablets my kids got for Christmas so they can charge with same cable and will decide where to put the other shortly.  No apple devices for the lightning connectors.

It doesn't come out of the device very easy, but I was able to remove it without the included tool.

IMG_20200113_183334516.jpg

IMG_20200113_183308823.jpg

IMG_20200113_183807088.jpg

Edited by Craig
  • Thanks 3
22 hours ago, Hook said:

That looks exactly like mine. also USB 2, but don't care for the same reason @Craig doesn't care.  Large file transfers are pretty rare for me, so even the 2,0 speeds are fine with me.

What are we defining as large file transfers, exactly? At 480mbps, copying 1GB takes 20-30 seconds depending on your USB controller--no, they're not created equal! I can move tons of junk in a few minutes.

Makes me think of this: https://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1995/08/17

Screenshot_20200114-213128.png

Edited by silversolver
Behold my Droid 4 on Nougat and the funny. :)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, silversolver said:

What are we defining as large file transfers, exactly? At 480mbps, copying 1GB takes 20-30 seconds depending on your USB controller--no, they're not created equal! I can move tons of junk in a few minutes.

I replied in the other thread. :-)

On 1/13/2020 at 5:39 PM, Craig said:

Mine just arrived.. look good... similar to hooks pics but not touching flat surface at all... lots of adapters came with em, micro-usb and apple...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TT1CFNG

Another reply to these.  I just realized that these don't swivel.  The swivel type could come in handy for those people who are buying cables for other people who are really hard on cables, as it will reduce their desire to bend the heck out of the cables.  The 90 degree, non-swivel types should reduce that as well, but the swivel type should really reduce it.  Can you tell that I have to replace cables for people relatively often? :-)

The other thing I thought about is that some of the cables being discussed here are type A on one end.  I have chargers that require Type A and I have chargers that require Type C.  Those adapters that people posted earlier appear to work with either type, as you just plug the type C end of your whatever cable into the adapter that has the magnetically split parts.  That's one way to solve for it.  I might worry about adapters getting lost.  I guess the same could be said about the USB-C nubs that go into the phone port, but the adapter means one more piece to possibly lose.  On the flip side, it means any USB C cable can be used with it.

The ultimate solution would either be one of the adapters or would be available in type A and type C on the charger end, would swivel, would support fast charging, and would support USB 3.0, would be available in lengths of 6ft and longer, and possibly most important, would have a low profile so that it doesn't contact the surface that the phone is set down on.  That might be too much to ask for, but I'd like to find something that ticks all those boxes.

Maybe we can start a spreadsheet to categorize them and record quality factors too, like how long they last, etc.

As it is now, I think I really like the ones you bought.  I like the 90 degree right angle and I like the low profile.  I wish they were a little longer.  Most of my use cases are just for charging, not for data transfer, so they should work well.  Once I get my Pro1, all phones in my household will be USB-C.  It would be nice to standardize on one cable and put those on all the car chargers and wall chargers and battery packs.

Edited by david

Something is not quite right about your terminology but I'm too... tired... to figure it out right now.  But my guess is you're somewhere mxing up usb-a with micro-b (also called micro-usb).  [usb-b is mainly on printers and old stuff].  I've never seen a charger with a usb-c port on it, other than those with built in cable  ( of which I now I have two of I no longer need, one for AC and one for 12V cuz of these new magnetic cables I cant use em anymore)

Edited by Craig
1 hour ago, Craig said:

Something is not quite right about your terminology but I'm too... tired... to figure it out right now.  But my guess is you're somewhere mxing up usb-a with micro-b (also called micro-usb).  [usb-b is mainly on printers and old stuff].  I've never seen a charger with a usb-c port on it, other than those with built in cable  ( of which I now I have two of I no longer need, one for AC and one for 12V cuz of these new magnetic cables I cant use em anymore)

I'm guessing you are talking about non-fast charging chargers or Qualcomm Quick Charge chargers.  Those are all typically Type-A connectors.  Quick Charge is Qualcomm's proprietary standard.

Power Delivery is another fast charge standard that newer phones use.  It is an open standard created by the group that handles all the USB standards.  Apple's phones use it.  Google's phones use it.  And some number of other, newer Android's phone use it.  It supports delivering more power than Quick Charge.  Quick Charge tops out at 18 watts.  Power Delivery tops out at 100 watts.  But you typically won't see higher wattages being used, except in larger devices, like laptops (macbooks are the common devices that use power delivery for charging them).

Having said that, the latest Quick Charge standard, 4.0+, supports both Quick Charge and Power Delivery.  Google is pressuring companies to support a the USB standards, so one way to do that is to support PD and the proprietary stuff.  With QC 4.0+, you can get up to 18 watts over Quick Charge or you can get up to 27 watts over Power Delivery.  The wikipedia article for Quick Charge shows higher wattage values, but I'm not sure why.  I don't know if it is some theoretical ability that can't be reached in the real world for some reason or what is going on there.

There is one very important thing about Power Delivery.  You *have* to have USB-C on both ends of the cable to get the fast charging.  You can't even use an adapter to convert a Type-A connector to a Type-C connector at the charging end, because the Type-A connector doesn't have the right connections to allow Power Delivery to communicate properly.  More on that later.

Getting back to connectors, for other people reading this, here are the common connectors:

Image result for type a connector

If you look at a Quick Charge charger, you'll see something like this:

Image result for qc charger

That stylized Q with the lightening bolt is the Quick Charge logo.  The 3 in the upper right of the logo means QC version 3.0.  Those connectors are female Type-A connectors.

If you look at a Power Delivery charger, you'll see something like this:

61ptq%2Bp4N%2BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

That is what the Pixel chargers look like.  That is a female Type-C connector.

And, of course, you can find chargers that support both:

3106pKhBLlL._AC_.jpg

So, getting back to why I would like to find a brand of magnetic cable that has a male Type-C connector on the charger end -- it is because I have a Pixel 1 and two Pixel 4XLs in the house.  Since you can't have a Type A connector anywhere in the cable (whether daisy chained or converted with adapters) in order for Power Delivery to still fast charge the device, if I want the Pixels in the house to share cables and chargers with my forthcoming Pro1, and if I want them to be able to fast charge, then I will need to have Type-C connectors on the charger end of the cable.  

As I thought more about this tonight, this is a pretty serious limitation for me.  I really want a 90 degree connector at the phone end to prevent people from ruining cables by bending them.  There are very few Type-C to Type-C magnetic cables to begin with and even fewer with 90 degree connectors.  There are the adapter type magnetic connectors where you can plug in any USB-C cable to them too, as people posted earlier in this thread.  But if I go with those for the Pixels, then I need to go with those for my Pro1, if I want to share cables and chargers.  And I don't know if, out of those limited numbers of products, whether one of them will be low profile enough that the Pro1 can be set on a flat surface without the USB-C nub touching the surface, which is important to me (to prevent stress on the USB port, which is the whole idea of these magnetic cables, for my use case).

For reference, here is an example of a PD magnetic cable with a 90 degree tip.  It does NOT support data transfer though:

61pi2KXvCsL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

And then an example of the magnetic tip adapter style.  That one DOES support data transfer at the full USB 3.1 Gen 2 speeds (10 Gbps).

613Qdb-l2PL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

*If* I can find a magnetic cable that fits my Pro1 well at the phone end, and has a Type-C connector on the charger end, I can always use an adapter to convert from Type-C to Type-A and use a Quick Charge charger.  Going that way works.  You just can't get fast charging from a PD device with a Type-A connector in the mix.

If I can't find a magnetic cable that fits my Pro1 well at the phone end, and has a Type-C connector at the charger end, then I'll have to settle for one set of cables for the Pixels in the house and one set for my Pro1.  This will mean any shared cables (mainly in cars) will need to be looked at to make sure the right one is being grabbed before hooking up.  Probably not a big huge deal, but it would have been nicer to standardize on one set of magnetic cables.

• Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Should not be that hard, e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202771280351

Just did an ebay search for pd magnetic data cable

Sorry, I should have made it more clear.  I want a 90 degree tip on the phone end.  I mentioned that earlier, but not at that point in my post.  I know they exist.  It is a matter of whether the USB-C nub that stays in the phone will touch the surface when the phone is set down on a hard surface.  I don't want to stress the USB port/phone plastic, so I want one that is low profile, like the one @Craig found.

41 minutes ago, david said:

Sorry, I should have made it more clear.  I want a 90 degree tip on the phone end.  I mentioned that earlier, but not at that point in my post.  I know they exist.  It is a matter of whether the USB-C nub that stays in the phone will touch the surface when the phone is set down on a hard surface.  I don't want to stress the USB port/phone plastic, so I want one that is low profile, like the one @Craig found.

Ah I see. This looks like it might be charge only, not sure: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143438556436

ADD: Almost certainly NOT 20 pin, see this from the listing.

1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

Ah I see. This looks like it might be charge only, not sure: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143438556436

Yeah, for some of those adapter styles, they don't talk about data transfer.  But I wonder if that is because that is more a function of the cable you plug into them, so they aren't mentioning it for that reason?

The nice thing about going with an adapter approach is that then you can use whatever USB cables you want to use.  In other words, I can have Type-A to Type-C cables for QC and Type-C to Type-C cables for PD, but I can use the same magnetic ends for all of them.  For shared chargers, I'd still need to be sure I connect to a cable that is plugged into a QC port and the Pixel users would need to be sure they connect to a cable that is plugged into a PD port (for maximum charge speed), but I'd be able to use all the cables I already have and it would simplify things a bit.  Those right angle adapter style magnetic solutions just seem bigger than the ones at the end of magnetic cable products.

I'll either have to buy some and see how they fit or I'll have to look at measurements closely.  And I don't want to buy a bunch of something if the quality is poor.  That's one advantage of buying on Amazon.  You might get a number of people reporting that they stopped working or fell apart, etc.

It would be nice if these magnetic cable solutions were compatible with each other.

On 1/7/2020 at 4:08 PM, EskeRahn said:

Nice.

I'm (among other cables) still awaiting this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362332003394

And I hope it will be slightly more compact. The images/rendering are not that clear on the size, but it looks very compact.

Unfortunately the images in the listing are grossly faked - or should we be kind and say not what they sent....

And to make things worse the cables do not do charging (well they technically do transfer 50mA).

I ordered two from different sellers and they both arrived today with the same issue. Tried three chargers, And both the Pro1s, and the various rotation-options so just stay away from these cables! (The labels said "YXF135586_1" and "T32503C" on both, they are produced half a year apart, so not just a bad batch)

IMG_20200116_142124_HDR~01.jpg

IMG_20200116_141024_HDR~01.jpg

• Sad 2
22 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I ordered two from different sellers and they both arrived today with the same issue. Tried three chargers, And both the Pro1s, and the various rotation-options so just stay away from these cables! (The labels said "YXF135586_1" and "T32503C" on both, they are produced half a year apart, so not just a bad batch)

Note that it is NOT a general Raxfly problem, I got another one with a different plug, that works just fine!!, that one is "YXF172383_11" and "T17205", And is a month older than the oldest of the others.

IMG_20200117_133634~01.jpg

IMG_20200117_132916~01.jpg

5 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Ordered some Raxfly stuff myself too, curious to see how that will turn out... Will take a few weeks though, needed to order in China...

I have a feeling that the one we see in the first listing is the second but without the gasket. So though the broad part is less thick, it still sticks out about the same... 😥

So is this one that worked fine better or worse than other options (other brands)?

And how does a person ensure they are getting the right one?  Or is that not possible when buying from ebay for this brand?

Have we found *any* Gen12 (swivel) cables where the tip that stays in the Pro1 doesn't touch the surface when the Pro1 is lying flat?

Just now, david said:

So is this one that worked fine better or worse than other options (other brands)?

And how does a person ensure they are getting the right one?  Or is that not possible when buying from ebay for this brand?

Have we found *any* Gen12 (swivel) cables where the tip that stays in the Pro1 doesn't touch the surface when the Pro1 is lying flat?

The one with the gasket and flex on the plug seem to work fine with the Pro1. e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273930904168

997171583_s-l16001.thumb.jpg.aa562f25258e8abd655692b965c9daf2.jpg

The one with no gasket and stiff plugs does not work well with the Pro1.  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362332003394

246269035_s-l16003.thumb.jpg.1bba47e6a874cdb19c2a786d2a4de751.jpg

• Thanks 1