Got my Pro1, any ideas on root access?

UPDATE: Link to my comment with working root access for anyone who's looking for a quick answer: 

I got my device yesterday delivered by UPS. I'm very happy with it, the only thing I don't know how to do is get root access. Has someone got root access working in the stock software?

Edited by Linkandzelda
  • Like 7

The bootloader should come already unlocked, so it would be a matter of installing TWRP as on the Sailfish install instructions (which has download link for it):

And after that installing Magisk or SuperSU or some other tool to aquire root, via the TWRP. If you are unsure how to proceed I'd wait a short while until someone writes a guide (I would expect this comes within a few days from now). In any case, good luck! 🙂

• Thanks 1

The positive:

- Build quality is good
- Screen mechanism is good and solid, does not move when opened or closed
- The device is a very reasonable weight, and not much thicker than my note 9
- I was initially worried that the sound quality would be bad however it's really good enough

The negative (just nitpicking):

- Camera seems to lag at night time, compared to my note 9 which doesn't. During the day however it seems fine
- The power button is very sensitive, and I've pressed it a few times by accident just picking the device up or holding it portrait
- The screen takes a bit of getting used to flipping open, since one side needs to be lifted up to trigger the mechanism

I haven't used it much because I am waiting for Lineage OS before I transfer and switch devices.

Edited by Linkandzelda
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Just now, netman said:

The bootloader should come already unlocked, so it would be a matter of installing TWRP as on the Sailfish install instructions (which has download link for it):

And after that installing Magisk or SuperSU or some other tool to aquire root, via the TWRP. If you are unsure how to proceed I'd wait a short while until someone writes a guide (I would expect this comes within a few days from now). In any case, good luck! 🙂

Thanks! That is really good info, maybe I will attempt it and see if this is something I would do myself without a dedicated guide.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Linkandzelda said:

Thanks! That is really good info, maybe I will attempt it and see if this is something I would do myself without a dedicated guide.

It should be sorta straightforward, once you follwed the steps to where TWRP starts from the Sailfish instructions, stop and do NOT do the step where it tells to wipe, but instead move over to here: https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-magisk/

[disclaimer: I don't have the Pro1 yet so this is not verified, just works the same way on pretty much all phones when bootloader is unlocked]

Edited by netman
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Linkandzelda said:

- The power button is very sensitive, and I've pressed it a few times by accident just picking the device up or holding it portrait
- The screen takes a bit of getting used to flipping open, since one side needs to be lifted up to trigger the mechanism

On the first, in Android you can select a timeout on how long after you press the power button it actually locks. This can be quite convenient until you get into the habit of lifting it not touching the power button or fingerprint reader.

On the second. Well there are more than one way you can open this. One (as you do) is to lift the rear. OR you can push the front BUT this requires a bit of practise to get the right feel of it as it is NOT a straight push parallel to the bottom part, as you might intuitively try. I did an exaggerated sketch here (the whole movement is a few mm)

Pro1_Open_sketch.png

One way to get used to it, is by doing the push with the thumb of one hand while lifting the rear with the other hand, to get the muscle-memory of the open right.

You might be surprised of the force of the 'clang' when it springs open. So I recommend  to experiment in a comfy chair or sofa, so nothing happens if you totally loose control and drop it.

It is a bit like riding a bike, feels terrible complicated at first, but super easy once you got the hang of it. 😎

The last real tilt-slider I had was the N97mini a decade ago, and I just flipped the Pro1 open the first time - once learned the body never forgets it.

• Like 1
On 11/19/2019 at 12:07 PM, netman said:

It should be sorta straightforward, once you follwed the steps to where TWRP starts from the Sailfish instructions, stop and do NOT do the step where it tells to wipe, but instead move over to here: https://www.xda-developers.com/how-to-install-magisk/

[disclaimer: I don't have the Pro1 yet so this is not verified, just works the same way on pretty much all phones when bootloader is unlocked]

So i gave this a try, and it doesn't seem to work. Here's what happened.

1. I flashed TWRP, this worked fine
  2. I then flashed Magisk zip file which worked too
  3. Upon booting up I am asked for my pin, but my pin is WRONG every time. I know I am putting the right one, it worked when I turned it on!
  4. I go back to TWRP and think ok I will do a factory reset, this fails, and I think it wiped the OS too because I'm stuck on an endless boot

I am going to follow the post for returning to factory, then I will do something different: I won't set any pin or fingerprint and see what happens.

• Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, Linkandzelda said:

So i gave this a try, and it doesn't seem to work. Here's what happened.

1. I flashed TWRP, this worked fine
  2. I then flashed Magisk zip file which worked too
  3. Upon booting up I am asked for my pin, but my pin is WRONG every time. I know I am putting the right one, it worked when I turned it on!
  4. I go back to TWRP and think ok I will do a factory reset, this fails, and I think it wiped the OS too because I'm stuck on an endless boot

I am going to follow the post for returning to factory, then I will do something different: I won't set any pin or fingerprint and see what happens.

You could try this if not already factory reset https://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-10/how-to/guide-fix-pin-pattern-password-t3538438
edit: also delete the files password.key and pattern.key if they exist

edit2:

image.png.78e677da22f908782f78019918268262.png

Edited by netman
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, netman said:

If that happens again I will try it, otherwise I can't because it stopped booting now. I will post with what happens next.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, netman said:

😱🤞 Good luck and be careful!

So I'm essentially stuck now. I reflashed everything to factory (the long list of commands), then I did the first boot. I didn't complete setup. I rebooted to check it did a clean boot and got the initial setup again. Next, I flashed TWRP and rebooted. It immediately asked me for a password to continue. "To start Android, enter your password". What?

I did some looking around and other people got this after flashing TWRP and listed some default passwords. "password" and "default_password", neither worked. Someone said to run the command "fastboot format userdata" which I did, and it results with an endless boot again. There is a problem with TWRP and when I'm inside it I can't do things like mount /data or /data/system, so I can't get inside there to try and remove the password files.

So I believe the bug is with TWRP right now. Any suggestions?

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Linkandzelda said:

So I'm essentially stuck now. I reflashed everything to factory (the long list of commands), then I did the first boot. I didn't complete setup. I rebooted to check it did a clean boot and got the initial setup again. Next, I flashed TWRP and rebooted. It immediately asked me for a password to continue. "To start Android, enter your password". What?

I did some looking around and other people got this after flashing TWRP and listed some default passwords. "password" and "default_password", neither worked. Someone said to run the command "fastboot format userdata" which I did, and it results with an endless boot again. There is a problem with TWRP and when I'm inside it I can't do things like mount /data or /data/system, so I can't get inside there to try and remove the password files.

So I believe the bug is with TWRP right now. Any suggestions?

First, thanks for trying!
Normally TWRP asks to mount partitions rw on start. This version does not ask ? 
Have you tried @netman's suggestion to complete initial setup first? On "normal" phones this is always done to enable bootloader unlocking in settings.

Edited by mcdinner
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, mcdinner said:

First, thanks for trying!
Normally TWRP asks to mount partitions rw on start. This version does not ask ? 
Have you tried @netman's suggestion to complete initial setup first? On "normal" phones this is always done to enable bootloader unlocking in settings.

TWRP doesn't ask to mount them rewrite. When I tried to turn off the "mount as read only" check box it does not uncheck. The most important thing is that TWRP cannot mount the partitions anyway. It can't mount /data or /system, and gives errors trying.

• Sad 1
5 minutes ago, Linkandzelda said:

TWRP doesn't ask to mount them rewrite. When I tried to turn off the "mount as read only" check box it does not uncheck. The most important thing is that TWRP cannot mount the partitions anyway. It can't mount /data or /system, and gives errors trying.

Maybe this conversation should switch to the TWRP thread. Really seems like TWRP problem now.

• Like 1

@mcdinner may have just found the reason we are not having any luck, and it's my fault xD. (edit: we were chatting about it in discord, feel free to join us https://discordapp.com/invite/k4NtAGy )

https://forum.xda-developers.com/pro1/development/custom-roms-lineage-t3981821

Specifically the lines "A working TWRP exists, but keep in mind system-as-root limitations." and "System-as-root means that /system is mounted as /, but it also means that recovery is a part of boot image, so flashing it as the whole boot partition won't let you boot the system. There'll be a need for TWRP installer script.".

I think it boils down to the TWRP image we have will overwrite some of androids boot stuff when you flash it, so it's not gonna work this way. It works for Sailfish because Sailfish does not need androids boot stuff. There is some mention of using a TWRP install script to get around this.

Edited by netman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Linkandzelda said:

I went ahead and posted there.

@netman Now I wonder if it's possible to inject the content of Magisk's zip file into the factory data that gets flashed then?

Injecting Magisk is a way to do it, but I have never tried it.

https://www.thecustomdroid.com/install-magisk-root-android-devices/

If you try, pls don't kill your phone :)

Edited by mcdinner