F(x)tec Repairability plans for the Pro1

17 hours ago, netman said:

If it is not too late an single picture from less close by showing the entire opened part of the bottom half would be nice, same for the screen side and bottom of keyboard. Thanks very much for documenting this :). Surprisingly little damage visible from the water.

https://imgur.com/gallery/fYWqIsG

So, another two cents' worth:

As mentioned, get the card tray out first. I realized that the one screw that gave both gelraen and myself trouble is under tension, which is probably the issue. I unfortunately happened to leave that one for last, it should probably be done first, while the screen support is being held by the other two screws. Also as mentioned, the F(x)tec .pdf describes the required screwdriver as PH0. That will not work, they are either PH00 or PH0000. I was able to reuse the little black stickers. Just peel them carefully and stick them to something clean, dry, and nonporous, unlike a cat. The screen connector and the fingerprint reader connectors were a headache to reattach, as you don't have much ribbon to work with. The reader in particular would have had me sweating if I had been working on a potentially functional phone and didn't hate fingerprint readers.

The ports would be relatively easy to improve on from a waterproofing perspective, but the hinge is a pretty unmanageable ingress point. Any waterproofing would have to be comprised of one or two waterproof sub-assemblies attached to the hinge mechanism. I wonder if a layer of dielectric grease would provide at least momentary protection from a dunk, or if it would destroy everything.

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks to your comment I've finally decided to publish my teardown guide I've been working on for some time 🙂 https://gelraen.github.io/fxtec-pro1-teardown/ (forum topic)

I took a series of photos in an effort to troubleshoot my drowned Pro1, hope they are of use. https://imgur.com/gallery/17bo7bI

Best pictures of the battery we have had so far!  Thanks! 👍

Posted Images

On 4/24/2020 at 8:46 PM, Hook said:

So looks like this is the battery source (the company, not the wholesale web site hosting the company's catalog. 

https://sunshinelec.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008825825782/Showroom/3000000213584/15428/Mobile-phone-battery.htm

Looks like they only work wholesale and are not consumer oriented.  They don't list a replacement battery for our phone so it is probably special order in batches.  Unless it's one of the Samsung batteries, lol.  But I couldn't find any leads.

Guess we have to depend on F(x) Tec to get spare batteries, maybe after (if) operations become normal.

Thanks for finding that.  How did you determine that was the company?  I glanced at some of the battery pics, but figured fxtec had wrappers made to obscure the true source and I couldn't find anything based on the model number shown.

On 4/25/2020 at 7:33 AM, ermghoti said:

I'll do it when I get home. I did not un-glue the keyboard though, and based on how the rest of it went, I wouldn't feel good about trying it.

Did you have to unglue anything or just unscrew?

On 4/25/2020 at 4:27 PM, ermghoti said:

Can you take all the pictures again with the Pro1 camera?  It might do a better job.

😅

Seriously, thanks a lot for taking the time to take them and post them online.

I was able to reuse the little black stickers. Just peel them carefully and stick them to something clean, dry, and nonporous, unlike a cat.

LOL!

Might depend on the cat.

The ports would be relatively easy to improve on from a waterproofing perspective, but the hinge is a pretty unmanageable ingress point. Any waterproofing would have to be comprised of one or two waterproof sub-assemblies attached to the hinge mechanism. I wonder if a layer of dielectric grease would provide at least momentary protection from a dunk, or if it would destroy everything.

Yeah, I wonder if a coating of something would do exactly that (provide enough protection for very brief water exposure).

• Like 1
8 hours ago, david said:

Thanks for finding that.  How did you determine that was the company?  I glanced at some of the battery pics, but figured fxtec had wrappers made to obscure the true source and I couldn't find anything based on the model number shown.

Was a guess, but I think Eske was right and I was wrong. 

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, nikotah said:

This is interesting. I got my Pro1 (qwertz) yesterday and s/n is 302. So, whose old phone I have?

I'm guessing that batch of qwertz had been waiting incomplete in the factory for a while. That could explain it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
8 hours ago, elvissteinjr said:

Today I've received the unit replacing my old #344 which had been lost in transit back in February: #89.

Possibly refurbished or stocked unit.

• Like 1

It certainly is an older unit (260 days since last full charge). What it's been doing all the time is the real question (combined with the fact they could only now send it). Condition-wise it looked like it had never been touched before. Same goes for the accessories.
Not that it bothers me. Just found it interesting.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, elvissteinjr said:

What it's been doing all the time is the real question

It's fair to assume they allocate some stock for replacement or repair.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Slion said:

It's fair to assume they allocate some stock for replacement or repair.

If my memory do not fail me, they explicitly told they would do exactly that. 🙂

ADD: By afterthought it is actually encouraging to know that they thus initially have allocated more than they have needed. That is the ratio of units that had needed replacement so far has been so much lower than what they expected so they still got some of the initial ones available to send to you eight months later. 👍

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Slion said:

I doubt that would be accurate after a factory reset.

Yeah, seems more in line with the date of the installed update, which is still a rough estimate to be fair. Did come with the October 28th 2019 update installed.

It was a reserved unit for replacement cases as that's what support had told me. The mystery is as to why this seemingly old new stock was only available now and not 2 months ago when I paid the replacement order from the parcel insurance money. Something we'll probably never know.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yup the Camera connector had come off, I had dropped the phone, it must have landed just right.

its the one indicated with the arrow, there is another connector just below and to the right in the photo, once I disconnected that, the Camera connector popped up from the board. But it looks a bit askew in the close up photos.

IMG_8152s.jpg

IMG_8149s.jpg

IMG_8148s.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, juanjogonzalezgarcia said:

Hello everyone, I'm interested in knowing the specifications of the rear camera of the Pro 1 and also the possibility of finding a replacement for it.

Currently, the photos taken of any object beyond 1.5 meters are coming out blurred. I'm not sure if it's a malfunction of one of the cameras or a software issue.

Some people got this fixed by a software update. Do you have LineageOS ~18/19 installed?