USB-C dock recommendations

Hello there,

I was planning to buy a usb-dock that could extend the capabilities of the device, charge it and also plug it into a television or computer monitor.
There are a few on the market, but will any of them work with this phone?

Maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.de/SenPuSi-Adapter-Station-Kartenleser-MacBook/dp/B07SPYLHC1 

https://www.amazon.de/TSUPY-Adapter-Delivery-Schnellladung-Station/dp/B07RR2792B 

If it is something you plan to attach/detach a lot. I would suggest to look at some of the male/female magnetic usb-adapters, not to stress the plug more than necessary. e.g. this.

Yes I know the USB-plug is mounted on a separate small PCB, but it would be nice to avoid having it serviced for that.

4 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

If it is something you plan to attach/detach a lot. I would suggest to look at some of the male/female magnetic usb-adapters, not to stress the plug more than necessary. e.g. this.

Yes I know the USB-plug is mounted on a separate small PCB, but it would be nice to avoid having it serviced for that.

As Far as i know there are no magnetic usb c adapters available that can output.

these magnetic adapters mostly charge but Ive seen one or two that can transfer data, but no output option.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Are there any that hold somewhat strong? I tried one and the issue i had is the weight of the cable was enough to disconnect it accidentally when moving a bit.

• Sad 1
7 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Even the link you have says:

Audio and Video output is not supported through this adapter, it only has charge and data sync capabilities.

• Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, kashif said:

As Far as i know there are no magnetic usb c adapters available that can output.

these magnetic adapters mostly charge but Ive seen one or two that can transfer data, but no output option.

Thanks, was unaware, They are available out there though, e.g. this

BUT this particular one is not really suited, as it with 10.4mm would go below the bottom of the Pro1, so you would have to have the Pro1 in a thick case, or to place it on something lifting the bottom about 3mm.

(I know that the round simple charge magnetic plugs, does NOT work well without a case, as the USB-C plug is mounted fairly deep near the base)

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

Thanks, was unaware, They are available out there though, e.g. this

BUT this particular one is not really suited, as it looks as it would go below the bottom of the Pro1, so you would have to have the Pro1 in a case, or to place it on something lifting it a few mm.

(I know that the round simple charge magnetic plugs, does NOT work well without a case, as the USB-C plug is mounted fairly deep near the base)

Yeh that seems interesting though.

i might give it a try

i bought similar to this recently on ebay but the quality was poor and each time i pull the cable the whole adapter will come out

• Sad 1
32 minutes ago, kashif said:

Yeh that seems interesting though.

i might give it a try

i bought similar to this recently on ebay but the quality was poor and each time i pull the cable the whole adapter will come out

I guess it is hard to make a connector that is strong enough to secure good contact at 20 pins, and yet light enough that a pull does not pull out the plug - or strain the pcb if pulled in another direction than straight out....

20 minutes ago, fredrick said:

Wow that was quick. Already a bunch of answers. 🙂

i will look into a magnetic connector for charging. Or maybe some harware mod for wireless charge.

But will a dex dock work? I googled a bit more and it seems that dex is only for samsung?

Yes Dex is only for samsumg.

i have dex and it works only with samsung

but actually if i plug the usb c to htmi cable in my note it exactly does the same.

so basically dex is like a usb hub. the real thing is the option in samsung note setting to switch to desktop mode.

• Like 1

Well. Is there a usb c dock that does everything but the linux switchy thing?

- Output via hdmi

- Usb hub

- Charge passthrough

- Possibly also memory card reader

I found some docks for usb c, but thwy mention thunderbolt and I wouldn't expect the pro 1 to support that?

• 1 year later...
9 hours ago, EskeRahn said:
On 5/14/2021 at 9:28 AM, mittens said:

You can just use a magnetic cable instead of a dock reduces all risk and is a whole lot cheaper.

I use that too, but it does stick out from the phone a bit. But if used in a case or shell, it is not vulnerable.

I've been using such magnetic adapters for quite some time, too. Since then, the same cable is good for both USB-C and Micro-USB connectors (as well as Apple's proprietary connector). Plugging and unplugging is much easier and quicker, too, which I especially like in the car. I would like the adapters to be black instead of white/silver for cosmetic reasons, but I don't find them too ugly as they are, either. Perhaps the best feature is that it reduces the wear on the phone's USB socket from repeated plugging and unplugging to zero. Just a few weeks ago I had to throw away a perfectly good Lenovo tablet just because the USB socket was physically damaged (with no way to replace it, I disassembled it to check) so it didn't charge anymore.

The one major restriction is that data transfer is only USB 2.

Other than that, I've only had minor issues with them, like once in a while a cable/adapter+device combination that only charges with more than super-slow speed after I've reattached the plug to the adapter rotated by 180°.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 2

If you don't have a specific monitor you want to plug it into, you can get a monitor that does video and charging via USB and also has an integrated USB hub.

Confirmed and working on my dell p2419hc, I just plug the USB C cable in my Pro1 and I have video on the monitor, the phone is charging and all of the monitor's 4 full USB ports are seen by the phone, so just connect a keyboard and mouse to the monitor and you have a docking station with no dock and the need to only connect one cable to the phone.

The only downside since we don't have a dex like solution for the Pro 1 is that (unless you have Ubuntu  Mobile installed) you'll always have black bars at the top and bottom on a traditional 16:9 aspect ratio monitor/TV, since there's no way to change resolution on a secondary display.

Edited by Rud
Monitor model correction
  • Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 9:03 PM, EskeRahn said:

I use that too, but it does stick out from the phone a bit. But if used in a case or shell, it is not vulnerable.

Some do stick out a bit more than others but I believe in also using a good case. Good cases are often and big as the plug so with the case on it is way less noticeable if at all

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

I have a Dell dockingstation for my laptop, think it's a WD19. 

I tested to connect my pro1 to it and it worked like a charm even if I got the same picture on all 3 monitors. audio out worked, as did keyboard, mouse and wired ethernet. 

Didn't test the microphone input though. 

Planning to put that dock in my car. 

• Thanks 1