Pro1 first-day-user questions

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That bug has been fixed with the latest OTA update, yes 🙂

I would venture to say most of us don't want any of that, having a keyboard gives me full control of that myself..... however that doesn't mean the toggles to turn it on/off shouldn't be there for peo

For those of you wants to have word suggestions, try using Swift key instead of GBoard. It has most of the features, if not all, as a software keyboard. Because most users wants clean Android, we

Posted Images

I'm also gonna hijack this thread and ask:

Is it possible for me to long press certain keys for accents/umlauts? (E.g.: long press 'o' for 'ö')

I have looked through some input settings and, after finding this thread, installed SwiftKey, which has some more settings, but still not this feature.

If that's not possible: any other chance to get accented letters and umlauts usable?

Also,

37 minutes ago, Kikka said:

but I still can't make it work for the physical keyboard.

for me, it worked out of the box after installing and setting SwiftKey. It recognized the physical keyboard and upon 'space' while typing it autocorrected the word I typed. Take a look at the SwiftKey settings, there is a special section for physical keyboards with some autocorrect options, I think.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, chrisheld said:

Is it possible for me to long press certain keys for accents/umlauts? (E.g.: long press 'o' for 'ö')

Not with stock no, Lineage OS does it though. However IMHO while at first tempting this feature is in fact not very desirable once you got used to the keyboard. Also there are a couple of alternative keyboard layouts available such FinQwerty or Fx Qwerty that can help you have better access to international characters.

Edited by Slion
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Also, it worth a look at Finqwerty itself for other layouts.

Indeed, I will strongly recommend FinQwerty over stock layouts. (Note that it is not an active app, it is just presenting the system with pre-made layout files)

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 7:02 AM, Slion said:

Not with stock no, Lineage OS does it though. However IMHO while at first tempting this feature is in fact not very desirable once you got used to the keyboard. Also there are a couple of alternative keyboard layouts available such FinQwerty or Fx Qwerty that can help you have better access to international characters.

While I agree with you by using those layouts you can avoid the need for this feature, it is still useful if you don't want to install additional layouts.  Lineage includes the standard AOSP layouts.  The US International included has dead key on apostrophe, making normal english annoying, and there is no version with deadkeys only with altgr like pcs (and sailfishos) and those addon layouts have.  

Second, for english users who rarely use accents, it's easier than remembering key combinations rarely used.  When used regularly, like é in José or résumé or ¹ in Pro¹ you memorize them etc no problem, so if i used finqwerty/fxqwerty I would remember that é is on e and ¹ on 1 with us intl, but for rare occasion I want to type Mötley Crüe or doppelgänger, longpress is useful 😉, so I just use the included US English and longpress when I need é or ¹ too.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 2