ROM: Ungoogled Stock

On 1/22/2020 at 11:34 AM, Noir said:

thanks alot @tdm for your work,

has anyone tried to use microG with this build? I am not experienced with microG, but I am trying to gain some knowledge about it. Having admitted that sorry if this question is unnecessesary, but maybe an answer is possible nevertheless.

My understanding is that microG requires a framework hack to work.  I did not add that.  Additionally, modifying /system to add the microG files will break verity so that would also need to be disabled.  There may be more issues but those are the ones that come immediately to mind.

• Thanks 2
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am pleased to announce a new member of the Pro1 ROM family: "Ungoogled Stock".   What is it? This is the stock ROM as built from the BSP directly from IdeaLTE with the following chang

So just a quick update regarding Secure Boot.  I had considered posting a new thread about this but I'm not sure it's warranted.  So I'll just drop this here...   I spoke with FxTec and they

As a former computer security professional, I want to emphasize that everything tdm has said is correct. But any serious discussion about security needs to be very concrete about the threat model, or

I've just tried to install this, and was wondering, is there no default dialer/phone application, or did I do something wrong?

If there is none, does anyone know one that integrates with the built-in Contacts app? I have tried a couple of them from F-Droid, but none seem to work with trying to call people from Contacts - the call would just happen in the background, with no way to hang up except to switch off the phone. Setting the dialer as the default application from settings doesn't seem to make it work.

Just for me to understand: this rom contains all the physical keyboard / launcher tweaks that can be found on stock ROM? And is this an userdebug build?

Also, why can't you just do this "fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta_a vbmeta.img" to disable verity and then install gapps (feels like that from OP).

And speaking of disabled secure boot - is there a way to boot the device into PBL without having to disassemble it (i.e. when people are repartitioning etc.)?

EDIT: Yeah I see the filename, it's user build.

Edited by skrilax
13 hours ago, skrilax said:

Just for me to understand: this rom contains all the physical keyboard / launcher tweaks that can be found on stock ROM? And is this an userdebug build?

Yes this has everything from the stock build.  It is user/release same as stock, not userdebug.

Also, why can't you just do this "fastboot flash --disable-verity --disable-verification vbmeta_a vbmeta.img" to disable verity and then install gapps (feels like that from OP).

That may work, feel free to give it a shot and report back.

And speaking of disabled secure boot - is there a way to boot the device into PBL without having to disassemble it (i.e. when people are repartitioning etc.)?

EDIT: Yeah I see the filename, it's user build.

See my factory restore thread.  Start with the device off, hold both volume buttons, press power for about 3 seconds.  The device should be in EDL mode.

1 hour ago, tdm said:

I don't see why not, but I'm curious why you want userdebug?

Thanks. It's just easier to start off userdebug build for people who'd want to play with the stock firmware for the moment (i.e. want to disable verity etc.). Things like "adb root" with proper selinux policy etc.

On 1/10/2020 at 10:54 PM, tdm said:

That is not possible.  If it were, anyone could do the same and it would defeat the purpose of verification.  Only the OEM has the signing key and only the OEM can create signed images to pass verified boot.

To my great surprise, I have to object here. I just re-locked the bootloader after flashing a self-singed LineageOS build, and it still boots. I even disabled OEM unlock...

I don't really know whats happening here. This does not sound like what the android documentation says, and also not how other bootloaders behave. But I have a re-locked bootloader now that boots my LineageOS...

36 minutes ago, Gigadoc2 said:

To my great surprise, I have to object here. I just re-locked the bootloader after flashing a self-singed LineageOS build, and it still boots. I even disabled OEM unlock...

I don't really know whats happening here. This does not sound like what the android documentation says, and also not how other bootloaders behave. But I have a re-locked bootloader now that boots my LineageOS...

That should not be possible.  Perhaps the boot loader lock is disabled or ignored.

1 hour ago, Gigadoc2 said:

That's because secure boot is not enabled on the device and the device behaves like a prototype. Usually that means that PBL will accept XBL signed also by a dev-key (or not at all) and XBL and onward stages will check if secure boot is enabled and won't bother checking for valid signatures any further. This is the usual behaviour for many other phones when they don't have secure boot enabled (are prototypes).

I actually wonder if secure boot is disabled also on baseband. If that's the case that might pave a way to get the device working with Verizon.

Edited by skrilax
  • Thanks 2

Thats... actually somewhat awesome.

I mean, enrolling my own key would be better, but this way, I can prevent an "quick reflash" evil maid attack while still being able to run custom roms. Although, someone might still reflash via EDL without wiping data, defeating that. And, I don't know whether I want to risk not being able to fastboot flash anymore without wiping data first^^

7 minutes ago, skrilax said:

@tdm can you actually compile ABL? Perhaps a good idea would be to enable "fastboot boot" command.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to build abl yet.

I know it's possible, as an fxtec developer said he was able to build it. He was using a different like Linux distro than me, which may be the issue.

One of these days after lineage and the factory restore tool are both humming along without issues I'll try again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
32 minutes ago, xnyl said:

@tdm: I've looked around around the forums and on your github account and can't find sources for this rom. Was my search not good enough or is there some legal crap that prevents it from being published?

This is stock based. Sources are not available.

• Thanks 1