How to control notification light?

1 hour ago, Polaris said:

@VaZso Per your "Correction" posts above, I have a question... On your friend's phone does the green LED blink correctly for missed calls, and you just want to change the color (which isn't working on his, but is on yours)?  Or is the LED not blinking at all?

As far as I know, no - it did not work.

I am absolutely sure we also tested this colour but I was not 100% sure about missed calls.. but I have called him to test and it did not work.
However, he removed the application as it did not work at all.

I wanted to say him to test it again as I saw this application had an update maybe a day ago.

It may be related to your problem anyway or another possibility is that I have installed it prior last OTA but I doubt if it was installed after last OTA may cause problems...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We really need stickies in this forum for info like this.  I only really learned this here myself.  Now, if I'm going to charge overnight, I use an older slow charger (or from a PC i leave on overnigh

It was controllable early on, but they changed that, as the placement of the individual RGB had the effect that in some angles one were more or less blocked, giving a wrong resulting colour. So what i

Or put it face down while sleeping 😁

7 hours ago, VaZso said:

As far as I know, no - it did not work.

I am absolutely sure we also tested this colour but I was not 100% sure about missed calls.. but I have called him to test and it did not work.
However, he removed the application as it did not work at all.

I wanted to say him to test it again as I saw this application had an update maybe a day ago.

It may be related to your problem anyway or another possibility is that I have installed it prior last OTA but I doubt if it was installed after last OTA may cause problems...

Ok, so just to be certain that I understand you correctly, you are saying that without the app the notification light on your friend's device was acting like mine in that it stopped (or wasn't in the first place) flashing green for missed calls and received messages.  Do I have this right?

Anyone else experience this with their Pro1?  Any recommendations on how to fix it without a factory reset (which I don't mind doing, but would like to experiment before I pull that trigger).

17 minutes ago, Polaris said:

Ok, so just to be certain that I understand you correctly, you are saying that without the app the notification light on your friend's device was acting like mine in that it stopped (or wasn't in the first place) flashing green for missed calls and received messages.  Do I have this right?

On his phone the LED works when it is charging (red) or has charged (green) state but nothing else.
Even with notification app installed or uninstalled.

36 minutes ago, VaZso said:

On his phone the LED works when it is charging (red) or has charged (green) state but nothing else.
Even with notification app installed or uninstalled.

Thanks.  Mine is the exact same way now (it was working then suddenly stopped) .  Sometimes it will actually blink once (green) right when it receives a message, but that's it.  Otherwise it's only steady red or steady green when being charged.

Anyone have any ideas?

Edited by Polaris

same issue here - charging the Pro1 means the LED is green most of the time, but at times it begins red then turns green - which depends on our local weather forecast i guess.  i never got it running to indicate missed calls, SMSs and so on.  that's truly sad, i miss this feature terribly - it beautifully worked even on my 10y old Nokia N900...

by the way, did anybody get sound working for incoming SMS messages ?

2 hours ago, pistikem said:

same issue here - charging the Pro1 means the LED is green most of the time, but at times it begins red then turns green - which depends on our local weather forecast i guess.  i never got it running to indicate missed calls, SMSs and so on.  that's truly sad, i miss this feature terribly - it beautifully worked even on my 10y old Nokia N900...

by the way, did anybody get sound working for incoming SMS messages ?

Humm... this is interesting... as for the charging, I believe it should be steady red while at or below something like 90% (I haven't monitored the percentage closely), then switch to green when it's adding the final charge and then is fully charged.  So you never had the LED flashing to indicate missed calls and incoming SMS/MMS messages.  WOW!!  That would be absolutely awful, and potentially a deal breaker (as a daily driver) for me as I'm not one to continuously turn my phone on dozens of times per day just to see if I happened to missed something (which is often the case, especially with the Pro1 because I rarely use sound, and the vibrate option is very weak).

Edit: @pistikem I believe when I first setup the Pro1 I had to go into the "Custom Restrictions" menu and unselect the box which said something like "When the screen is off... don't blink light" before it started working.  However, I have rechecked that menu and the option hasn't changed so I have no idea why it stopped working.

I'm curious if this is a known issue that will be fixed in future firmware releases.  Does anyone know?

Edited by Polaris

To make sure all three sub-LEDs are working, try the first test on the list described in this thread.

It turns on Red, Green and Blue one at the time, and then ask if it worked. And if you try oher tests BE CAREFUL! There is one calling emergency with no warning. (see my comments a little down the tread for descriptions in English)

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

To make sure all three sub-LEDs are working, try the first test on the list described in this thread.

It turns on Red, Green and Blue one at the time, and then ask if it worked. And if you try oher tests BE CAREFUL! There is one calling emergency with no warning. (see my comments a little down the tread for descriptions in English)

I should have mentioned that I saw this thread (before you posted the English, thanks for that), and did test the multicolor LED.  All the colors, RGB, worked in the test.  It also works properly when charging.  However, the missed, or incoming, notification flashing/blinking isn't working anymore.  Very strange!

Edited by Polaris
1 hour ago, Polaris said:

I should have mentioned that I saw this thread (before you posted the English, thanks for that), and did test the multicolor LED.  All the colors, RGB, worked in the test.  It also works properly when charging.  However, the missed, or incoming, notification flashing/blinking isn't working anymore.  Very strange!

Ah I see. Just wanted to make sure if yours has a hardware or software issue 🙂

• Like 1
19 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

thank you, EskeRahn, the sub-LED test worked just fine, all three colors, that's reassuring - but as observed by others, the notification system for messages and phone calls seems to dead, sadly.  perhaps a future software upgrade will help here.  or an Fxtec-supported Android 10 install, if/when available ?

ADDENDUM : Light Manager 2 finally started to work as described here in this forum (which wasn't the case for me earlier).  i guess my recent manipulations with this sub-LED test did something to some permission settings, and now my calls/SMS/etc get their LED spot light attention, finally !  and incoming SMSs are getting now their acoustic backing too...

Edited by pistikem
  • Like 3
6 hours ago, pistikem said:

thank you, EskeRahn, the sub-LED test worked just fine, all three colors, that's reassuring - but as observed by others, the notification system for messages and phone calls seems to dead, sadly.  perhaps a future software upgrade will help here.  or an Fxtec-supported Android 10 install, if/when available ?

ADDENDUM : Light Manager 2 finally started to work as described here in this forum (which wasn't the case for me earlier).  i guess my recent manipulations with this sub-LED test did something to some permission settings, and now my calls/SMS/etc get their LED spot light attention, finally !  and incoming SMSs are getting now their acoustic backing too...

Huh?!?  Are you saying that you didn't do anything other than the LED test described by EskeRahn and then the LED started working again????

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Polaris said:

Huh?!?  Are you saying that you didn't do anything other than the LED test described by EskeRahn and then the LED started working again????

yes, that was the case - i couldn't get those LEDs to shine with any app last week.  but now, as i used this built-in device test, a re-installation of LightManager2 did the job finally.  klick on the three bars at the left top and chose accordingly.

unfortunately, additional device tests confirmed also that my Pro1's screen's upper two rows truly became unresponsive to touch. this after just two weeks of usage...  i didn't hear yet back from Fxtec support.  i contacted them via their web form.

CORRECTION : things are again dead since this morning !!!  just like last week, the notification LEDs stay pitch-black, no activity whatsoever after missed calls or SMS messages.  obviously i didn't change anything over night during sleep.  something else must resetting settings & permissions.  Android looks to me like a windows box, no comparison to a rock-solid unix system...

Edited by pistikem
  • Confused 1
6 hours ago, pistikem said:

yes, that was the case - i couldn't get those LEDs to shine with any app last week.  but now, as i used this built-in device test, a re-installation of LightManager2 did the job finally.  klick on the three bars at the left top and chose accordingly.

unfortunately, additional device tests confirmed also that my Pro1's screen's upper two rows truly became unresponsive to touch. this after just two weeks of usage...  i didn't hear yet back from Fxtec support.  i contacted them via their web form.

CORRECTION : things are again dead since this morning !!!  just like last week, the notification LEDs stay pitch-black, no activity whatsoever after missed calls or SMS messages.  obviously i didn't change anything over night during sleep.  something else must resetting settings & permissions.  Android looks to me like a windows box, no comparison to a rock-solid unix system...

This was very much my experience in that the notification LED was working perfectly, then it just stopped one day without me changing any settings.  However, I had executed the "secret menu" LED color test numerous times and all was well, but that didn't have any effect on resuming the functionality of the notification LED.

It's too bad that the LED stopped working because I was about to install LightManager2  in hopes that I could mimic your results.  I'm getting pretty close to factory resetting, but, again, even if it works, that won't help for the future when things stop working again.

I believe the LEDs weren't working for me before, but they appear to be working, for the most part, now.  I did do the LED tests from the secret screen, but I can't say if they started working after that or before.  I am pretty sure they were working before then.

Here is what I can say, based on my testing.  I am not saying the results are right or wrong, just reporting how things act and how I have thing set up.

- In each app tested, I have "Blink light" turned on in the notification settings of the apps.  The "Phone" app doesn't have this setting in its settings.

- At the system level, in Settings->Apps & notifications->Notifications, Blink light is also enabled.

- I tested gmail, google voice, Phone (voicemail) and WhatsApp.

- I always have my notifications set to not pop up, only show in the notification bar.  I also have them set to not show the content at the lock screen.  I also almost always have my phone set to vibrate and have my apps set to vibrate along with play a sound (which I normally don't hear, since I have the phone set to 

- Gmail has battery optimization turned off, because without that, it seemed like notifications in general were problematic.

- I initially didn't get any notifications for google voice, but that appears to be due to restoring it with Titanium Backup.  Uninstalling it and reinstalling it fixed that issue.  I believe WhatsApp and Viber might have been flaky like that too at one point, and may have been related to restoring from TB.  They've since been installed fresh.

- When I initially had issues with the LED light, I *believe* I was still on the 20121203 firmware.  I'm now on the 20200106 firmware and have also done a factory reset 2 or 3 times.

- None of the apps turn on the LED when a notification comes in, with the screen on.  All of them turn on the LED (it pulses on and off) when the screen is off.  I have not tested it after the screen has been off for 30 minutes or hours, only seconds to minutes.

- WhatsApp will show the notification in the notification bar when a notification comes in, when the screen is on, but for some reason, it delays vibrating the phone until some number of seconds later.  

- If the screen is off when the notifications come in, and the LED is blinking, and I hit the power button and unlock the phone, but do NOT pull down on the notification bar, and then hit the power button again to turn the screen off, gmail and Phone (voicemail notification) will continue to blink the LED.  At one point in testing, google voice would not blink the LED after turning of the screen again (earlier today), but I just tested it again, and now it will blink it again.  WhatsApp will blink it again too.  I could have sworn that wouldn't blink again earlier today.  Variability like that makes testing difficult.

- If the screen is off when the notifications come in, and the LED is blinking, and I hit the power button and unlock the phone, but DO pull down the notification bar, even if I don't tap on the notifications, when I hit the power button again to turn the screen off, the LED doesn't blink again.

- If the screen is on when the notifications come in, and I hit the power button to turn the screen off, none of the apps blink the LED.

- WhatsApp allows setting the LED color.  All the other apps blink green.  In WhatsApp, I have tested White and Purple and they both work, more or less.

- If a green notification and a purple LED action come in when the screen is off, you can sort of tell, if you look closely, that is what is going on.  It looks white most of the time, but you can see the purple and green at the start and end of the cycles.

- I haven't tried Light Flow again or Light Manager.  For all my testing today, Light Flow was uninstalled, to be sure it wasn't affecting my tests.

- When the phone is plugged in, the LED is solid green (or red, if not charged all the way), and the notifications don't cause it to blink.  Unplugging it when there are notifications waiting, however, does allow it to blink.

- I just tested Viber, and it seems to act like the other apps, as long as I have it set to not turn on the screen when the notification comes in.  It blinks purple.  

What I would like:

- A way to change how the LED blinks (the pattern), as well as the color, for various apps.  I'm assuming Light Flow/Light Manager will be able to do this.

- A way to cause it to blink even when being charged.

- And although not related to the LED, a way to increase the vibration strength on the Pro1.  The vibration is horribly weak.  There is no way I'm going to feel it most of the time when I have it in my belt holster.  I can only sometimes hear it when it is sitting on top of something near me.  The only thing I can try is to see if an app can adjust the vibration pattern and make it repeat a LOT, in the hopes I'll feel some of the pulses.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, david said:

What I would like:

- A way to change how the LED blinks (the pattern), as well as the color, for various apps.  I'm assuming Light Flow/Light Manager will be able to do this.

- A way to cause it to blink even when being charged.

- And although not related to the LED, a way to increase the vibration strength on the Pro1.  The vibration is horribly weak.  There is no way I'm going to feel it most of the time when I have it in my belt holster.  I can only sometimes hear it when it is sitting on top of something near me.  The only thing I can try is to see if an app can adjust the vibration pattern and make it repeat a LOT, in the hopes I'll feel some of the pulses.

@david Thank you so much for your very detailed post!  I too remember the LED working in the exact manner you described (however, I don't have any 3rd party apps loaded so I haven't tested them, only the factory apps).

-I would just like the notification LED to work like it used to, lol

-Completely agree about it also being functional during charging (this only makes sense)!

-Also completely agree about the vibration strength, it's awful and I can't feel it at least 85% of the time.

• Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Polaris said:

Also completely agree about the vibration strength, it's awful and I can't feel it at least 85% of the time.

As said in other posts I think the problem here is simple physics: The counterweight of the vibrator is a standard one, designed for a 2-3 times lighter phone.

So they would have needed a larger counter-weight and thus a larger motor, adding weight to the whole system (and as these would likely not be standard components, also additional costs)...

But I struggle too, especially walking. As I 99.9% of the time use my phone with vibrate only. I have not even set the ringtone on my Pro1, so do not know how it would sound....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

But I struggle too, especially walking. As I 99.9% of the time use my phone with vibrate only. I have not even set the ringtone on my Pro1, so do not know how it would sound....

I'm the same way, no ringtone set, no sound, which is why it is so important that the notification LED work properly.

• Like 2

Here is the latest... I was at a friend's house and received a notification of a voicemail (phone never rang) via the blinking green LED.  I attempted to retrieve the voicemail SIX times without success.  He has weak cell service for AT&T (I was using an AT&T SIM), so knowing that my Samsung S8+ has a stronger radio, I yanked the SIM card from the Pro1, installed it in the S8+, and retrieved the voicemail on the first attempt (was clear as could be too).  As long as I'm listing this all out, and yes, it does pertain to the notification LED, I should also state that the message was from over an hour earlier but the Pro1, which supposedly was in service the whole time, never rang or notified me because of the weak signal strength.

Ok, so here is where it gets weird...  Later I swapped the SIM back into the Pro1 and then noticed that the notification LED was no longer working!  I'm about to do another reset, but thought I would post what happened (still latest stock firmware, and no 3rd party apps installed).

Edited by Polaris
  • Sad 1

regarding LED lights for incoming SMS i realized the following thing : messages sent to my mobile number as regular SMS do *NOT* elicit any LED activity, or just a short little green blip.  however, when messages are sent to my mobile phone SMS address as email such as [email protected] then a beautiful green light starts blinking regularly and right away, together with sound and vibration.  i need to point out that this email address get forwarded by Bell to my gmail address.  so this fact may perhaps facilitate something googly inside the Android OS ?  importantly, i don't read email at all directly on my Pro1 but remotely on a server via vpn/ssh/alpine.

the only app i have installed and currently active is "VolumeControl" to separately control the volume for incoming phone calls vs txt messages - though it's somewhat useless and i may remove this app altogether - just like so many other apps i tried for the LED business, for volume control, rotation control etc.  the only useful app so far is EdgeNull for me.

regarding missed calls - i don't know (yet) much about the response pattern of the LEDs - seems somewhat erratic anyway...

• Like 2

Does the LED work when charging?   For me it's always on when I'm plugged in, even when unlocked (which is annoying in dim light cuz its so bright).

I haven't paid attention to it for notifications, as I'm pretty much always plugged in unless its in my pocket.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Craig said:

Does the LED work when charging?   For me it's always on when I'm plugged in, even when unlocked (which is annoying in dim light cuz its so bright).

I haven't paid attention to it for notifications, as I'm pretty much always plugged in unless its in my pocket.

EDIT:  Sorry, thought you were asking about how the phone should work, not asking previous posters about how their phones are working.

Edited by david