Pro1, Ghost touches and other digitizer and display issues

My Pro1 also started to do this yesterday. Perhaps notĀ the worst condition yet as I can still make this post on the Pro1, but sometimes it doesn't allow me to input unlock code but fills the field with random digits instead. And now the cursor started to warp to address field, which makes typing quite annoying šŸ˜„Ā Just going to start a three week trip today, what a great moment for the device to go mad.

• Sad 3
  • Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Make your displays last longer I've recently ordered a bunch of those 'b-ware' displays and out of seven, two were in good condition and one is usable (~20ā‚¬ each). That's okayish since there are no

@John VenessĀ If you press with force onto the middle of your display, it will bend slightly. That's very noticeable with replacement displays since they have a sticky back and you can hear the glue st

Okay... so I'm on my third screen right now and it's still behaving after a few months. I'm starting to suspect the culprit that damaged the first two screens may have been a phone case I've attached

Posted Images

8 hours ago, auvo.salmi said:

My Pro1 also started to do this yesterday. Perhaps notĀ the worst condition yet as I can still make this post on the Pro1, but sometimes it doesn't allow me to input unlock code but fills the field with random digits instead. And now the cursor started to warp to address field, which makes typing quite annoying šŸ˜„Ā Just going to start a three week trip today, what a great moment for the device to go mad.

How long have you been using it?

On 6/26/2020 at 2:18 PM, Slion said:

How long have you been using it?

I can't remember anymore, but I was probably among the first in Europe to receive their Pro1's. So about half a year I guess.Ā 

Seems like the issue fluctuates a bit on my device. For example, at morning, the device acts normally for some time, but those ghosting issues start after I have been using the device heavily for a while. But still, now I have been surfing, browsing social media etc for at least an hour in a row, and have had zero issues. But earlier today I couldn't input my screen lock code even using the keyboard only, because the ghost taps filled the prompt screen all the time. So there's quite a bit of fluctuation.

On 7/1/2020 at 9:02 PM, auvo.salmi said:

I can't remember anymore, but I was probably among the first in Europe to receive their Pro1's. So about half a year I guess.Ā 

Seems like the issue fluctuates a bit on my device. For example, at morning, the device acts normally for some time, but those ghosting issues start after I have been using the device heavily for a while. But still, now I have been surfing, browsing social media etc for at least an hour in a row, and have had zero issues. But earlier today I couldn't input my screen lock code even using the keyboard only, because the ghost taps filled the prompt screen all the time. So there's quite a bit of fluctuation.

I had exactly the same symptoms until it was hardly usable. The ghost inputs where mostly located along the same vertical landscape pixel line. You can check that using some touch tester app. The latest version of Fx Service can disable the touch screen altogether. There is a shortcut to toggle the overlay that's disabling the touches, Ctrl + Fn + O.

Edited by Slion
  • Thanks 1

I thought I was either going mad, or just being clumsy touching/catching the curved edge while holding the phone, but it seems like mine's also now haunted: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6tfvb1jx4xwpwm/pro1_touchscreen_issue.mp4?raw=1

Most of the time it's actually fine, which I guess is why I was doubting myself. I've also had the Pro1 over 6 months now, and it's been in use every day. Phone was last charged over 30 hours ago when I took that video, so while I know chargers can cause touchscreen issues, I don't think that's my issue.

I'll contact support and see what they recommend. Phone's been great other than that, (almost) can't fault it!

• Like 2
13 hours ago, sebm said:

I thought I was either going mad, or just being clumsy touching/catching the curved edge while holding the phone, but it seems like mine's also now haunted: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6tfvb1jx4xwpwm/pro1_touchscreen_issue.mp4?raw=1

Most of the time it's actually fine, which I guess is why I was doubting myself. I've also had the Pro1 over 6 months now, and it's been in use every day. Phone was last charged over 30 hours ago when I took that video, so while I know chargers can cause touchscreen issues, I don't think that's my issue.

I'll contact support and see what they recommend. Phone's been great other than that, (almost) can't fault it!

Looks exactly like mine, for me it started being quite infrequent but got more and more frequent. But recently the frequency has decreased some (think the region of the screen is completly dying).

Ā 

Support told me they would ship a replacement screen so I can change it myself but this far I have only got emails.

• Like 2
On 7/8/2020 at 7:29 AM, hka said:

Looks exactly like mine, for me it started being quite infrequent but got more and more frequent. But recently the frequency has decreased some (think the region of the screen is completly dying).

Ā 

Support told me they would ship a replacement screen so I can change it myself but this far I have only got emails.

That's interesting to know, I'm definitely still in the "getting worse" stage at the moment. It can be almost impossible to use at times. I now daren't open anything important like mobile banking. I kind of hope mine gets to the "region dying" stage soon. I've always got adb as a backup.

Support have been good for me so far. Once I confirmed that it hadn't been dropped or drowned, they gave me the option of sending a replacement screen for me to replace, or sending the device to them for repair. I too have opted for the DIY option.

Guess I'm in the same boat as you now then!

• Like 1

Just a quick follow up...

F(x)tec Support sent my replacement screen out on Friday, I received it less than 24 hours later, replaced it as per their video instruction, and it's now working perfectly again!

DSC_4309.thumb.JPG.fec7f9b1dc410835ea5710663439cc3a.JPG

DSC_4310.thumb.JPG.136aa5dbf62324f75d8acb96a66d2c5f.JPG

Only had one moment where I had the two side by side, and nearly forgot which was which...

Ā 

I hope you get your replacement soon @hka. For me it's top marks for F(x)tec's support, and also for the easy repairability of the Pro1. I lost my Sony Z5C for weeks for a repair under warranty, and had to send it straight back again because it hadn't been repaired properly the first time! This has only reaffirmed my belief that I made the right decision going with the Pro1.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
5 hours ago, sebm said:

F(x)tec Support sent my replacement screen out on Friday, I received it less than 24 hours later, replaced it as per their video instruction, and it's now working perfectly again!

What are you doing with the broken screen assembly? Can I have it?

Edited by Slion
8 hours ago, sebm said:

DSC_4309.thumb.JPG.fec7f9b1dc410835ea5710663439cc3a.JPG

DSC_4310.thumb.JPG.136aa5dbf62324f75d8acb96a66d2c5f.JPG

Only had one moment where I had the two side by side, and nearly forgot which was which...

Ā 

I hope you get your replacement soon @hka. For me it's top marks for F(x)tec's support, and also for the easy repairability of the Pro1. I lost my Sony Z5C for weeks for a repair under warranty, and had to send it straight back again because it hadn't been repaired properly the first time! This has only reaffirmed my belief that I made the right decision going with the Pro1.

Nice to hear you got it fixed! Good it is easy when you got it. My first contact with support was May 5, and I haven't got anything yet.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, hka said:

Got replacement screen today as well! So soon my phone will be in good condition again šŸ˜„

What are you doing with the broken screen? Can I have it?

11 hours ago, hka said:

Keeping it for spare, it is useable (but annoying).

Too bad for meĀ šŸ˜Ā I have two spare display panels I ordered off ebay and I'm looking for a display assembly with a broken panel to attempt a panel switch.

Now I have taken time and installed the new screen. It works but I noticed that the digitizer doesn't register edge touches. The outer 5 mm on each side doesn't register presses, but the digitizer works in that area if I start swiping from the middle and go out to the edge.

Wonder if it is changed in some firmware for the digitizer...

• Confused 1
9 hours ago, hka said:

Wonder if it is changed in some firmware for the digitizer...

Unlikely and that sucks. You are not the first one being sent a bad display assembly as replacement.

• Like 1

Strange thing; I had this haunted phone issue for two-three weeks, then it was gone. Nowadays the display is acting almost normally, maybe it is like "overly sensitive" sometimes. For example, when I try to scroll through app drawer, it reads my finger swipe as a tap instead and opens the app I was swiping over. So no need for a screen replacement atm. Glad that the issue went away, but overall it is becoming quite difficult to consider this phone as a reliable device, as I have had all the common issues (accidental reboots, haunted screen, frozen screen) plus some more random issues, like camera being out of focus when shooting outdoors.

7 hours ago, auvo.salmi said:

Strange thing; I had this haunted phone issue for two-three weeks, then it was gone. Nowadays the display is acting almost normally, maybe it is like "overly sensitive" sometimes. For example, when I try to scroll through app drawer, it reads my finger swipe as a tap instead and opens the app I was swiping over. So no need for a screen replacement atm. Glad that the issue went away, but overall it is becoming quite difficult to consider this phone as a reliable device, as I have had all the common issues (accidental reboots, haunted screen, frozen screen) plus some more random issues, like camera being out of focus when shooting outdoors.

Interesting. It could be extra sensitive to static electricity. And static electricity is affected by the materials of the clothes you are wearing and the humidity in the air.But odd indeed.

• 1 month later...

Hmm mine started to show these ghost input symptoms this week... Just like that. Didn't drop it, didn't drown it...

It's pretty horrible. The ghost taps and swipes occur over 1 specific line in the screen, it seems. It renders the phone useless, basically.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sbs7gXwpfm9waTJQ7

Sent an email to F(x)tec just now. I really hope it can be solved. The Pro 1 is the best phone I have had in years...

Thx @SlionĀ for your tool; it allows me to make the phone ignore touch input and use the keyboard to control it šŸ™‚

Edited by Milly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, Milly said:

Hmm mine started to show these ghost input symptoms this week... Just like that. Didn't drop it, didn't drown it...

It's pretty horrible. The ghost taps and swipes occur over 1 specific line in the screen, it seems. It renders the phone useless, basically.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sbs7gXwpfm9waTJQ7

Sent an email to F(x)tec just now. I really hope it can be solved. The Pro 1 is the best phone I have had in years...

Thx @SlionĀ for your tool; it allows me to make the phone ignore touch input and use the keyboard to control it šŸ™‚

We can not see the bottom of the phone, is it connected?

Mine reacts poorly to touch when connected to a third party charger (Does not see the pheneomeny when connected to a PC though, and do not use the original charger)

Just to narrow it down.

I do not see it as bad as on your unit though, here touches are misinterpreted, not spontaneously generated as on yours. But I still suspect sensitivity to static charge could be the mechanism causing both.

• Like 1

Sorry, no, not connected.Ā 

I get the ghost inputs regardless of whether the phone is connected or not. As I type this (on my PC), the phone is on the desk unfolded, screen on, and the ghost touches are frequently visible without me touching and no cables connected.

Ā 

• Like 1
  • EskeRahn changed the title to Pro1, Ghost touches and other digitizer and display issues