• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started working on Fulguris Web Browser. It's primarily targeting F(x)tec Pro1. Now available on PlayStore for free.

Just published release v0.7.0.

Guess what, I just published release v0.7.1.

Posted Images

@netman @EskeRahn I like both ideas very much. However there are a bunch of basic stuff that are not quite working as expected and I will prioritize those over more advanced UI experiments. Here is what comes to mind:

• No recent tab stacking, only the tab list is used
  • Tab list sorting
  • Downloads UI is mostly not working

Feel free to join the fun on GitHub.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Idea: I wounder if it would work with a vertical icon-toolbar in landscape to the right, (Reload, stop, Prev, Next, bookmark, and not the least the icon for https/http)

And tabs too.  

Our aspect ratio is very wide, have room.  Could take a couple cm on the right and wouldn't affect most web pages.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, Craig said:

And tabs too.  

Our aspect ratio is very wide, have room.  Could take a couple cm on the right and wouldn't affect most web pages.

Oh indeed, from a user perspective it technically seems be good, but the question is how the code is made, and how much would need to be rewritten. Or perhaps the idea would come at other odd side-effects. we do not think of initially.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Craig said:

Our aspect ratio is very wide

Mines is even wider since I have hidden the system nav bar and use nav gestures à la android 10.

6 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

how the code is made

The code base is actually rather well structured. It should be doable without architectural changes.

• Like 2

If you use Ctrl+Q to exit the app you will loose all your tabs. Not sure if that was intentionally implemented like that by the original author. I don't like it 🙂
There is a couple of use cases where you loose all your tabs like that, so be careful guys, you've been warned. Also bookmark export and import is broken.
I documented the existing keyboard shortcuts on the Fulguris home page.

Edited by Slion
3 hours ago, Slion said:

If you use Ctrl+Q to exit the app you will loose all your tabs. Not sure if that was intentionally implemented like that by the original author. I don't like it 🙂

I have also disabled Ctrl+Q in my desktop browser (Vivaldi) because I have occasionally pressed it and I did not like it. 🙂

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, VaZso said:

I have also disabled Ctrl+Q in my desktop browser (Vivaldi) because I have occasionally pressed it and I did not like it. 🙂

Anyway, I often use Ctrl+W to close a tab in browser and as Ctrl+Q sits next to that combination, that is the reason why I occasionally press the latter instead of closing only the current tab. 🙂

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Slion said:

Just published release v0.0.6.

Frozen tabs are now still showing favicons.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure this version introduced a bug that can potentially loose all your tabs. Just lost like 50 tabs. I need to introduce some automated bug reporting so that I can track down such regression issues.

It's too bad cause I really like not loosing favicons after restart.

Edited by Slion
  • Like 1

I tried your browser, and it worked for the goal I tried. 

There's a web pictionary type game skribbl.io that with most mobile browsers is unplayable cuz when you start typing guesses, the address bar appears, which covers the top of the screen.   With Fulguris, the address bar stayed hidden and game is playable.

I did try F11 to get rid of the address bar, but it wouldn't go away until I scrolled around in the screen tho.  I'd tried F11 on firefox and it didnt work either tho.  Sometimes the desktop commands carry thru, I guess not this one.

I haven't used this browser for anything else, but being able to keep the address bar hidden is a useful feature when we have a hardware keyboard in landscape for sure, so good work!

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Craig said:

when you start typing guesses, the address bar appears, which covers the top of the screen.

Yes every Chromium based browser I tried has this problem. Which is most annoying when in landscape as it takes much of your precious vertical screen real estate. Basically landscape on Chrome is just an afterthought and rather frustrating. Not so with Fulguris 😁

Keyboard shortcuts to toggle tool and status bar will come. F11 sounds good I guess though it's not available if you are not using Fx Qwerty or something similar.

Edited by Slion

i'm liking this browser quite a bit, thank you.  One small annoyance is that if you go to a second level in the settings menu (say, settings /advanced settings), the navigation arrow at the  top takes you back to your current web page rather than back to the top level settings menu.

Also, I would love to import my Firefox bookmarks.  Firefox has them in a simple HTML file if there would be a simple way to read the file in.  Not super important. I don't know how hard or easy it would be. Just curious.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Hook said:

i'm liking this browser quite a bit, thank you

Thank you for taking the time to try it out and coming here to provide your feedback 😃

3 hours ago, Hook said:

One small annoyance is that if you go to a second level in the settings menu (say, settings /advanced settings), the navigation arrow at the  top takes you back to your current web page rather than back to the top level settings menu.

At first I was annoyed by that too but I'm still wondering what to do with it. If you just want to go back one level you can use the back button.

3 hours ago, Hook said:

Also, I would love to import my Firefox bookmarks.  Firefox has them in a simple HTML file if there would be a simple way to read the file in.

Can you not just open that HTML file with Fulguris and bookmark it 😁 ?
I definitely need to rework Bookmarks at some point but right now it is rather at the back of my task list. Improving tab lists, tool bar, settings, and fixing broken downloads should come first.

Edited by Slion
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Slion said:

Thank you for taking the time to try it out and coming here to provide your feedback 😃

You are welcome.  Thanks for all the work you are doing for our Pro1.  🙂

At first I was annoyed by that too but I'm still wondering what to do with it. If you just want to go back one level you can use the back button.

Ah, you are right.  For some reason I had thought I tested that and it didn't work either but it does.  So that's fine!

Can you not just open that HTML file with Fulguris and bookmark it 😁 ?
I definitely need to rework Bookmarks at some point but right now it is rather at the back of my task list. Improving tab lists, tool bar, settings, and fixing broken downloads should come first.

That's fine. As I said, not super important.  By the way, using the html file does work, but not the way you jokingly suggested. 😉  Stock Android does not seem to consider Fulguris to be a browser, so doesn't offer it as an app to open an html file with.  So first I have to open the file with an html viewer.  Then, when I tap a link it does offer Fulguris to open the link, but there is no way to bookmark the file.  That's okay, I'll edit the bookmark file down to the handful of links I actually need and then bookmark those pages one at a time in Fulguris.  That'll work for the amount of browsing I do on a smartphone.

Edited by Hook
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hook said:

Stock Android does not seem to consider Fulguris to be a browser, so doesn't offer it as an app to open an html file with

I'm pretty sure Fulguris registers as a browser. However it's possibly not registered as an HTML file viewer. I'll see what I can do about that.

• Like 1

@Hook Using File Manager + I was able to open a TXT file in Fulguris. I'm assuming you should be able to do the same with an HTML file. Other file explorer would probably let you do that too.

In FM+ I needed to navigate to the file to open, long press, tap more and select 'open with' then select Fulguris. Then I was prompted to install a plug-in to support file URI which I did, Voilà! That easy 🤣 Thankfully you only need to do that once. You should be able to bookmark it from there.

I wonder what happens if you type manually the file URI in Fulguris? Would it prompt to install that plug-in too and open it?

• Thanks 1