• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I started working on Fulguris Web Browser. It's primarily targeting F(x)tec Pro1. Now available on PlayStore for free.

Just published release v0.7.0.

Guess what, I just published release v0.7.1.

Posted Images

Just published release v1.2.0 including tab sessions killer feature 😁

It's quite a large code change. By far the largest feature I implemented in that code base so far.
Use Ctrl+Shift+S to open the sessions menu.

Edited by Slion
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

There has been quite a few Fulguris updates since my last post. While 1.2.x was mostly about the unique Sessions feature. The 1.3.x series is all about UI improvement and Material Design. I just pushed 1.3.4 to Google Play, it's already available for download from slions.net and it looks stunning.

Screenshot_20210127-214151.thumb.png.fd72bb0a80db76c3a0fa2ee40472ec48.png

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Any chance, perhaps, to get the "text wrap" option into Fulguris that I love so much in Opera (and only one other browser of the huge number I tried, I think it was Yandex)? I.e. forcing text blocks to wrap at the screen's edge instead of flowing outside the screen, having us scroll horizontally for each line.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

Any chance, perhaps, to get the "text wrap" option into Fulguris that I love so much in Opera (and only one other browser of the huge number I tried, I think it was Yandex)? I.e. forcing text blocks to wrap at the screen's edge instead of flowing outside the screen, having us scroll horizontally for each line.

Sounds like a javascript trick. Definitely doable but it could be a while before we get there. Do you have a URL I could test it with? Have you tried the Text reflow option in Fulguris to see if it does the trick already? Last entry in the Look and Feel settings.

3 hours ago, Slion said:

Sounds like a javascript trick. Definitely doable but it could be a while before we get there. Do you have a URL I could test it with? Have you tried the Text reflow option in Fulguris to see if it does the trick already? Last entry in the Look and Feel settings.

You could use a random slashdot.org article, desktop mode. Enlarging the view far enough that the text width doesn't fit anymore (some pages don't need to be enlarged, but I didn't find one from memory), it's cut off from the view. Opera would then start wrapping the text so that it fits again. The "Text reflow" option doesn't do it, I'm afraid.

• Like 1

Here's one other thing that, for the time being, stops me from using Fulguris: the Bitwarden password manager app doesn't recognise the page which I have opened, like 'community.fxtec.com', to look up the related login. It always only sees Fulguris' package name, 'net.slions.fulguris.full.playstore' in my case, for which it obviously doesn't find a login. I saw this happen with some other no-so-well-known browsers, too.

I'm not sure whether this is something that could be changed from within Fulguris at all. It might be that the Bitwarden app would rather need to be informed that the app 'net.slions.fulguris...' is a browser and that it needs to check what URL it has loaded. 

That said, the Bitwarden app, which seems to use draw-over to serve logins to (at least some) browsers, says something about being able to serve apps without using draw-over as long as the apps use the 'Android Autofill Framework', whatever that is...

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Rob. S. said:

Here's one other thing that, for the time being, stops me from using Fulguris: the Bitwarden password manager app doesn't recognise the page

I had another user asking about that too. Fulguris does support autofill service but the only service I could get working is Google's. The others such as Bitwarden and Lastpass are acting like you described. Autofill works but only if you set Google as your autofill service in the system settings. It looks like those other autofill services are designed to work with one password per app which ain't working for browsers obviously. They are very much password managers rather than actual autofill service.

Seems like a known limitation: https://community.bitwarden.com/t/there-are-no-items-in-your-vault-for-com-android-chrome/7277

Could you get Bitwarden to work with other web browsers?

2 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

You could use a random slashdot.org article, desktop mode. Enlarging the view far enough that the text width doesn't fit anymore (some pages don't need to be enlarged, but I didn't find one from memory), it's cut off from the view. Opera would then start wrapping the text so that it fits again. The "Text reflow" option doesn't do it, I'm afraid.

Can't you just not use desktop mode then everything wraps fine? Why do you want to go desktop mode and then need a special tool to do what scalable websites do natively.

15 hours ago, Slion said:

Can't you just not use desktop mode then everything wraps fine? Why do you want to go desktop mode and then need a special tool to do what scalable websites do natively.

This site perhaps wasn't the best example because it has a usable mobile mode, but for the most sites I visit on my phone I usually like the desktop mode better. Also, when using my preferred (so far) browser which is Opera, it doesn't feel like I need a special tool 😉...  Some sites' mobile modes, like ebay's (ok, there would be a dedicated app for that, which I don't like much though, either), even hide some of the information they're showing in desktop mode. No, I'm no friend of most websites' mobile modes and I don't suppose I'm going to become one any time soon...

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1
15 hours ago, Slion said:

Could you get Bitwarden to work with other web browsers?

Yes, I can confirm it for the current versions of Brave, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi, Yandex on LineageOS 17.1.

I don't know whether any of these are actually using the Android Autofill Framework to make it work, or whether Bitwarden recognises them as browsers and manages to extract the website URL through the accessibility services, which I found I have to enable for making it work at least on Opera.

(The default browser on LineageOS 17.1, org.lineageos.jelly, by the way, doesn't work with Bitwarden, either.)

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Yes, I can confirm it for the current versions of Brave, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi, Yandex on LineageOS 17.1.

I don't know whether any of these are actually using the Android Autofill Framework to make it work, or whether Bitwarden recognises them as browsers and manages to extract the website URL through the accessibility services, which I found I have to enable for making it work at least on Opera.

(The default browser on LineageOS 17.1, org.lineageos.jelly, by the way, doesn't work with Bitwarden, either.)

Just a wild guess based on windows. Some programs change their title depending on what is active. Could that be helpful in getting the password manager to distinguish what password goes to what?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, MickH said:

I'd give this browser another go if I could download it. I'm tapping the green download button but the screen just flickers and the download doesn't start. 🤔

Problem solved. Got it now. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

, I can confirm it for the current versions of Brave, Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi, Yandex on LineageOS 17.1.

Looks like all of them are based on Chromium. Is there any WebView based browser on which you could get it working? How do you get it to work on Chrome exactly?  To me it looked like even when setting the system autofill service to Bitwarden Chrome would still use its own internal autofill system which is tapping in Google's data basically so it's as if you were using Google's autofill service anyway which works just fine with Fulguris too.

16 hours ago, Slion said:

Looks like all of them are based on Chromium. Is there any WebView based browser on which you could get it working? How do you get it to work on Chrome exactly?  To me it looked like even when setting the system autofill service to Bitwarden Chrome would still use its own internal autofill system which is tapping in Google's data basically so it's as if you were using Google's autofill service anyway which works just fine with Fulguris too.

I just needed to make sure all three options under "Auto-fill Services" were enabled ("Auto-fill Service", "Use Accessibility", "Use Draw-Over"). Could be that I also needed to force-stop and restart the browser once, but I'm not sure.

Is there a list of WebView-based browsers somewhere? I would need to re-test; I've tested so many browsers that for the most of them I wouldn't remember which one worked and which didn't...

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1
On 3/15/2021 at 7:59 PM, Rob. S. said:

I just needed to make sure all three options under "Auto-fill Services" were enabled ("Auto-fill Service", "Use Accessibility", "Use Draw-Over"). Could be that I also needed to force-stop and restart the browser once, but I'm not sure.

In theory Bitwarden should be able to do that just with autofill service. The other options were used before autofill service was introduced on Android.

What's clear is that since Google's autofill service works Bitwarden should be able to get it working too. However maybe there is something Fulguris could do to help Bitwarden, I'm just not sure what.

Bitwarden source code is available on GitHub, interestingly it is written in C# and apparently targeting both Android and iOS.

Android docs explains here how autofill service should deal with WebView.

Also: https://github.com/bitwarden/mobile/issues/489

Edited by Slion
20 hours ago, Slion said:
On 3/15/2021 at 7:59 PM, Rob. S. said:

Is there a list of WebView-based browsers somewhere?

https://slions.net/threads/open-source-web-browsers-for-android.76/

Thanks! Just for the record, Bitwarden works with the DuckDuckGo browser from your list.

That said, the reply you've got to your github ticket does seem to provide the solution – one that probably was too easy to come to mind to either of us! 😄

• Like 1
On 3/18/2021 at 7:06 PM, Rob. S. said:

Thanks! Just for the record, Bitwarden works with the DuckDuckGo browser from your list.

That said, the reply you've got to your github ticket does seem to provide the solution – one that probably was too easy to come to mind to either of us! 😄

Bitwarden should work with Fulguris once the following changes are merged and released:
https://github.com/bitwarden/mobile/pull/1333

I can't tell you how long that will take as I'm not familiar with the bitwarden project. I've tested those changes and it seems to work nicely.

• Thanks 2
  • 9 months later...