Apps to get superbright LED

On some of my previous phone, I found apps to turn on the back LED (lamp!) in super bright mode.  Some of them give the option to dimm the light.  

And another question, how can I create a shortcut to turn on the light?

1 hour ago, _DW_ said:

Do you mean flash light / torch?   If so it's just in the pull down settings menu for quick access.  

Yess..  As I said, looking for quicker access (in the launcher).  This is why it can be an app or a way to get a shortcut.  And having an app able to dim the torch and/or putting is superbright mode will be awesome!

7 minutes ago, fire said:

Yess..  As I said, looking for quicker access (in the launcher).  This is why it can be an app or a way to get a shortcut.  And having an app able to dim the torch and/or putting is superbright mode will be awesome!

Ummmm, what exactly is not quick about a pulldown quick tile?  Probably faster than launching an app.  (I am operating from DW saying it is there on Stock, I'm not on stock myself to test).  It should be simply lower the shade and tap.

The LED will not melt by itself and although it's not cooled actively (you can actually burn your fingers when holding on it), there will be some safety circuit. Using phone LEDs as a flashlight is common since years.

Regarding quick access: If you have LineageOS, you can control the flashlight by holding the power button while the display is off. It won't get faster than that. The Moto G3 had a shaking control which was also quite fast (and probably looked cooler), maybe the code/app can be extracted for other phones. Still, seeing all the advantages of LineageOS I would really recommend that. And it's definitely bright.

• Thanks 1
14 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

Regarding quick access: If you have LineageOS, you can control the flashlight by holding the power button while the display is off.

Yes I turn on this feature.  It's good but if I can setup the "long press" can be great, so be able to decide the long the press is (between 100ms to ***ms)..

Cornholio notice that the LED can heat up and he's right.  The app used on my Samsung, super bright LED, have a protection that if I using it for too long time, shut the phone for protection.  Was just curious if super bright LED exist for the Pro1

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, fire said:

...have a protection that if I using it for too long time, shut the phone for protection.

You can set that up in LineageOS as well, I have set it to 5min (not for temperature reasons, I've also used it 15-30 minutes as well, but to prevent battery drainage if the button is used by mistake.

You can set it to 1min, 2min, 5min and 10min (and never, if you don't want to disable it).

Regarding the 100ms to xy ms - that setting sure could be set in some system file. However, since there is battery optimization when on Standby, this setting wouldn't work as intended since it takes some time to activate the counter itself.

3 hours ago, CornholioGSM said:

I have to disagree. I am service technician for more than 15 years...and i have seen in my work many molten covers or burned leds.

Now it's not so frequent, but it's happening.

May I ask on which phones you have seen that? I guess my expectations about some safety resistance or thermal resistor were too high...

32 minutes ago, SchattengestaIt said:

You can set that up in LineageOS as well, I have set it to 5min (not for temperature reasons

You can set it to 1min, 2min, 5min and 10min (and never, if you don't want to disable it).

In Settings ????

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

The Moto G3 had a shaking control which was also quite fast (and probably looked cooler), maybe the code/app can be extracted for other phones.

I use an app called "Shake Light" because I missed this function I used with my Moto G6 phone.
Usually I press power button then shake the device because it is more reliable this way (it may not work when the phone is in deep(er) sleep mode).

I like it anyway. 🙂

8 hours ago, fire said:

In Settings ????

Settings -> System -> (I don't know how it's called in english, maybe 'gestures'?) -> On/Off key, at the same place where you can set up the long press action itself.

1 hour ago, VaZso said:

I use an app called "Shake Light" because I missed this function I used with my Moto G6 phone.
Usually I press power button then shake the device because it is more reliable this way (it may not work when the phone is in deep(er) sleep mode).

I like it anyway. 🙂

I remember having a faulty display (proximity sensor mesuring wrong numbers) and getting angry over that function a lot. But when it worked it was awesome. Still, I'm very happy with the LineageOS feature and it's very fast and reliable (as well as very usable without getting sore handwrists). It might be a good option for those with stock Android though.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...