No audio from earpiece

Recently got a Pro1, but when making or receiving phone calls, the earpiece is completely silent.
I know that the network is not the issue because I can turn on the speakerphone and that works fine, I can hear the caller and the caller can hear me. But when I turn the speakerphone off, the phone is silent and only the caller can hear me.

Yes, in-call volume is set to maximum, that doesn't help.

Any ideas on how to debug the issue? Is this a known bug?

Thanks

Update: Magically fixed itself.

Started just this evening.
I literally can't hear anything out of the earpiece.
Fine with headset, bluetooth, speaker, but not just holding the phone to my ear.

I saw one other person reported it but then said it was fine.

Any suggestions?

Edited by sequestris
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Can you record/play sound? That is, is it 'limited' to calls?

If so I would try to force stop and clear the data of the phone app, and see if it solves it.

Does a SIM from a different carrier change anything?

All looks ok no dents.  Also tried clearing the phone app out no effect restarted ofc as well.  This is purely when on a call mic doesn't work or speaker.  But speaker works fine playing music etc.  The thing is I don't think it's the phone app directly as whats app also won't make calls.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, _DW_ said:

Wondering if it's a system service but no idea which one.

Sound very plausible, let us hope some with deeper knowledge on Android reads this and can come up with a hint. Otherwise it seems almost certain that a factory restore would fix it, but that is of course rather tedious.

• Sad 1

Still not got this working. 

Have tried a general HW test tool (not the factory test one was been lazy)  this app gets noise from the microphone!  Not managed to test the earpiece speaker yet though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2020 at 11:19 AM, akinwale said:

Maybe related to my last paragragh in this post?

Ok this was indeed the issue. 

That corner Top left portrait / bottom left landscape is indeed loose.  And mine also had become un-clipped was protruding about 1mm pushed it in and all is fine.  But that whole corner is loose.   

I am wondering if that screw in that corner has come loose from the opening clack.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

That corner Top left portrait / bottom left landscape is indeed loose.  And mine also had become un-clipped was protruding about 1mm pushed it in and all is fine.  But that whole corner is loose.   

I am wondering if that screw in that corner has come loose from the opening clack.

Glad you narrowed down the issue.

The screws are available under plain stickers, so maybe 'just' a matte of peeling off the label and tighten a screw?

3 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Glad you narrowed down the issue.

The screws are available under plain stickers, so maybe 'just' a matte of peeling off the label and tighten a screw?

This one is not easy to access its the one right in the corner :S

18 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

This one is not easy to access its the one right in the corner :S

Is it the corner above the Ctrl-key? If so there should be no screw there AFAIK.

I have not had it disassembled myself, but I guess that corner got some 'hook', that might be broken?
(The top part should only be held by the five screws behind the stickers easiest to access while slid open)

14 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Is it the corner above the Ctrl-key? If so there should be no screw there AFAIK.

I have not had it disassembled myself, but I guess that corner got some 'hook', that might be broken?
(The top part should only be held by the five screws behind the stickers easiest to access while slid open)

Yes that is the one.  There is a sticker there but doesn't mean there is a screw.  Maybe that's the problem it does need a screw and a plastic clip is not enough.

The sticker roughly above the Esc-key is covering a hole meant for opening the lower part when the top part has been opened. This is NOT a hole for a screw, but for a screwdriver (from above).

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2020 at 11:36 AM, _DW_ said:

Nice. There actually isn't a screw there, it's just clips holding it in place. Had discussions about this in Discord a while back with @netman who can shed some more light on the hardware assembly.

Mine still comes loose when I open the hardware keyboard very quickly with a loud snap, so I still have to treat it with gentle hands. The good thing is that any time it comes loose, I can easily snap it back in, but I still maintain that it's rather disappointing flaw considering how much the device costs.

• Like 2
On 5/28/2020 at 4:21 PM, akinwale said:

Nice. There actually isn't a screw there, it's just clips holding it in place. Had discussions about this in Discord a while back with @netman who can shed some more light on the hardware assembly.

Mine still comes loose when I open the hardware keyboard very quickly with a loud snap, so I still have to treat it with gentle hands. The good thing is that any time it comes loose, I can easily snap it back in, but I still maintain that it's rather disappointing flaw considering how much the device costs.

Yes it is disappointing.  I am wondering if the clip has actually broken and why its so loose in that area.  I'm not disassembling to find out though!

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...

Oops. Today I do not hear the other persons when I receive a call. I hear my phone ring, answer it and it connects. The other person hears me fine. However I do not hear the other person. My current fix is to activate the "loud" speaker during the call by pressing the button. Then I can hear what the other person is saying.

I am wondering whether this is a hardware or software issue. Can I run a test to determine this? I am ready to try different things before I contact support.

Is there two different types of loudspeakers on the phone? Can I conclude something from the fact that when I activate the loudspeaker I can hear the other person?

I do not remember doing anything special with the phone in the past days. I connected a bluetooth headset yesterday. I have tried to create a silent mode sound profile with the app sound profile.

What I tried so far (Unsucessfull)

- Shut down restart.

- I did a small test in settings - sound. I adjusted the volumes for media, ring, alarm (see picture below). Every time I hear the new set volume. However when I adjust the volume for call, no sound happens!

- I deleted apps related to sound such as sound profile.

- I am not in "do not disturb mode".

- I cleared the cache of app "Phone"

- I unactivated "bluetooth" and reactivated it

I am on unrooted android stock with all updates.

Thanks for your help

2020_08_14_19.16.47_1.jpg

Edited by OKSun