1 Year Anniversary

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I love mine even more than at the beginning. Getting used to the size and the keyboard took some time. To work around software Issues too. But I can only say, after more than a year, I would buy it

I bet not many will be surprised to hear that I love mine too. 😍 I would like to see some software fixes (and a new security update) soon though....

Just looking on my memories page on Facebook. One year ago today is when I got my Pro1 Used up all my stickers as gifts. How long have you had your Pro1? Do you still love it?

Posted Images

50 minutes ago, sequestris said:

I have a 2TB SD card. Paid $89 for it. Done deal. And it's a Samsung.

Are you sure it has real 2TB capacity?

I suggest you to check it using H2testw under Windows or F3 under Linux / MAC.

It sounds too good to be true.
Basically the tools above write data to the card, then read it back and show if data was corrupted.

If you connect the card using USB 3.0 interface, it should work relatively fast.
If it is too slow for other reason, then it is most likely a fake card.

If it has corrupted readback, then it is a fake card.

If you use a fake card, then it initially looks good, but you will loose your data as it will overwrite itself when you write over its real capacity which usually only a few gigabytes.

So, test it to ensure it is a real card, but unfortunately, I doubt it. 😞

• Like 2
12 hours ago, sequestris said:

I have a 2TB SD card. Paid $89 for it. Done deal. And it's a Samsung.

In Samsung's official shop [samsung.com] I cannot find any micro-SDs larger than 512 GB, and those are already more expensive than that. I also think you should test the card before you rely on it.

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, claude0001 said:

In Samsung's official shop [samsung.com] I cannot find any micro-SDs larger than 512 GB, and those are already more expensive than that. I also think you should test the card before you rely on it.

I've been using it for months no with no issue. Bought it in a brick and mortar too.

48 minutes ago, sequestris said:

I've been using it for months no with no issue. Bought it in a brick and mortar too.

I would still recommend to test it, they usually just wrap around ignoring the higher addressing, so when it goes beyond the limit it will write into your existing data. It might still look OK at a directory-level, but with some file-content smashed....

• Like 1
2 hours ago, sequestris said:

As @VaZso and @EskeRahn point out, if the card's capacity is faked, you will not notice the fake until you try to actually use the full capacity, which you probably didn't up to now.

A priori, I do not see why a brick-and-mortar shop should be any more reliable than an online one, unless either you are on cordial terms with the people running it, or it is a big brand that would not realistically risk selling fakes ...

Edited by claude0001
4 hours ago, claude0001 said:

As @VaZso and @EskeRahn point out, if the card's capacity is faked, you will not notice the fake until you try to actually use the full capacity, which you probably didn't up to now.

A priori, I do not see why a brick-and-mortar shop should be any more reliable than an online one, unless either you are on cordial terms with the people running it, or it is a big brand that would not realistically risk selling fakes ...

My bad. Not Samsung
SanDisk

I called Fry's to see if they had more but they said that they didn't get any more in stock.

That's actually one of the first things I did 😄 I slotted it in an external reader and then copied over as many pics as I could on it until it maxed out at slightly less than 2TB and then blew up the card (reformatted)

Edited by sequestris
11 hours ago, claude0001 said:

You are correct.
It's a  SanDisk - Ultra 2TB Internal SATA Solid State Drive

11 minutes ago, sequestris said:

That's actually one of the first things I did 😄 I slotted it in an external reader and then copied over as many pics as I could on it until it maxed out at slightly less than 2TB and then blew up the card (reformatted)

Have you also copied back the photos and compared against their original versions?
...or at least have you checked if these photos can be displayed at different positions of the card? (So copied first, copied in the middle, copied around the last, etc...)

We are not joking, this is a serious problem of a lot of sellers.
These cards report fake capacities (like 2 TB), behaves like if it would be true, but when you write data to the card which should go above the address of the last real data, it will overwrite existing data causing them to be lost.

I have found a lot of fake cards this way and even received fake card from seller who sent me good cards earlier.

Also I am not sure if 2 TB microSD cards exists yet... I would say not yet, but it may happen they are already available in the meantime...
...but if so, it would be much more expensive.

So test your card using tools mentioned above before loosing data which is very likely if you just use it.

• Thanks 3
17 minutes ago, sequestris said:

Image result for 2tb sd card

I'm afraid that's worrying.  The Sandisk labeling on that card is for a line that only goes up to 32 Gb.  Neither Sandisk, nor Amazon show any Sandisk card commercially available with more than 1TB and they are over $200.  Fry's doesn't seem to have many Sandisk cards currently.

Here is Sandisk's current listings with their label formts(No 2 TB SDXC cards):

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22697/~/microsd%2Fmicrosdhc%2Fmicrosdxc-card-support-information-page

I'd really love to be wrong, but I wouldn't trust this card.  If everything on it is backed up elsewhere, might be okay to gamble, but if you are doing a lot of read/write operations (saving pictures), you might want to get something you can verify.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Hook said:

I'm afraid that's worrying.  The Sandisk labeling on that card is for a line that only goes up to 32 Gb.  Neither Sandisk, nor Amazon show any Sandisk card commercially available with more than 1TB and they are over $200.  Fry's doesn't seem to have many Sandisk cards currently.

Here is Sandisk's current listings with their label formts(No 2 TB SDXC cards):

https://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22697/~/microsd%2Fmicrosdhc%2Fmicrosdxc-card-support-information-page

I'd really love to be wrong, but I wouldn't trust this card.  If everything on it is backed up elsewhere, might be okay to gamble, but if you are doing a lot of read/write operations (saving pictures), you might want to get something you can verify.

Ugh. Yeah I don't want to risk that. It's still within the return period until 3/1 so back it goes.
Thanks everyone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
1 minute ago, sequestris said:

Ugh. Yeah I don't want to risk that. It's still within the return period until 3/1 so back it goes.
Thanks everyone.

Depending on your operating system, you may try F3 or H2testw, they will show you if the card is fake and you may ask a refund and show the result of the test program as proof of being a fake card.

I think it will show you most of the data was corrupted which is usual for a fake card.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, sequestris said:

It was a fake. After 3 imports that the guy at Fry's tried it started deleting the data.
Thanks for your suggestions everyone.
I ended up with a 512 legit SanDisk one instead; it was the largest one they had in the store.

Glad you found the problem and if I understood well, you may still initiate a refund against seller.

I have a 512 GB Samsung card in my phone anyway.

1 minute ago, VaZso said:

Glad you found the problem and if I understood well, you may still initiate a refund against seller.

I have a 512 GB Samsung card in my phone anyway.

Yes. I had bought it at a brick and mortar store and was within my return window so I got a 100% refund.
They didn't even charge me a restocking fee because it was not a ME problem.
And they went and pulled all of the other cards by that manufacturer off the shelves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, sequestris said:

Yes. I had bought it at a brick and mortar store and was within my return window so I got a 100% refund.
They didn't even charge me a restocking fee because it was not a ME problem.
And they went and pulled all of the other cards by that manufacturer off the shelves.

What is a restocking fee? 

1 hour ago, Jacob_S said:

What is a restocking fee? 

If you return something not because it's defective but because you are unhappy with it as it is supposed to be, stores may charge you a restocking fee if it has been opened.  I don't know if this is a practice limited to the US or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Hook said:

If you return something not because it's defective but because you are unhappy with it as it is supposed to be, stores may charge you a restocking fee if it has been opened.  I don't know if this is a practice limited to the US or not.

We got the same in Europe, if the returned product can not be sold as new directly. e.g. need some testing and resealing of the package for sealed products.

If you return say a fork, it is pretty easy to see if it is undamaged, but if you someone returns a storage medium, it (among other things) needs inspection for virus,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Jacob_S said:

Thanks for the explanation. It's really the first time I hear of that. Apparently I never returned anything where that would be applicable. 

I'm yet to be hit by it myself. 🙂
But just as refunds are fair from a consumer perspective, it is equally fair from a vendor perspective that there should be a reduction if it can't be put right back on the shelf and resold as new.
That is one of the reasons why I always take great care when opening something that I either might want to return, or give to someone else.