Pro1 Spare Parts - Is the new Pro1X's Screen and Body Parts compatible with the old Pro1

• 2 months later...

Hmm ... Just tried to replace the screen unit of my Pro1 by that of the Pro1-X: While the display does seem to work, the Pro1 goes into a boot loop (Lineage 16.0). So something does seem to be different (firmware?)

Before you ask why the hell I tried this: The Pro1-X's screen has much better colour fidelity (no green tint at low brightness) than my Pro1. And as the latter will still be my daily driver for some time, I thought I could pimp it a bit by swapping the screens ... 😎

Edited by claude0001
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

...replace the screen unit of my Pro1 by that of the Pro1-X...

Thanks for trying this out, I expected them to be equal too. But how much did you bring over, the display&digitizer only, or the full top part?

The full top unit - i.e. what you hold in hand after removing the 5 screws and disconnecting the ribbon cable leading to the phone. The digitizer also worked btw. as I could navigate through Lineage recovery using touch. Could the front camera be different?

Edited by claude0001
4 hours ago, claude0001 said:

The full top unit - i.e. what you hold in hand after removing the 5 screws and disconnecting the ribbon cable leading to the phone. The digitizer also worked btw. as I could navigate through Lineage recovery using touch. Could the front camera be different?

There are many functions where the unit or its controller could be somewhat different: Camera, speaker, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, hall sensor (for lid closed)...
The wiring in the cable could be permuted,also even if the cable looks the same....

4 hours ago, Craig said:

Can I put a pro¹-x keyboard into a regular pro¹?

Interesting question.
I would expect the 8x8 grid under the 64(+2) keys is identical, but the key 'prints' are not, for one thing the Pro1X qwertY is not shifted.

It may be better to buy a replacement screen from Aliexpress.

Anyway, I have replaced the screen of my Pro1 four days ago because the last time I have tried to use another glue (a better one but maybe too old or applicating took too long) and bottom part (where internal ribbon cables are located) could move a little bit... so developed the usual ghost touch result... this time I glued it much better, it does not move at all.

Anyway, this display has better colour temperatures at low brightness.

However, basically I never drop my phone... however, after applying my new display four days ago (from now), yesterday evening I placed my phone on top of a barrel in the garden and when I moved away, it falled facing display down to conrete. The top-right corner of display glass injured a bit and a small crack went towards the speaker hole, otherwise it remained fully functional... okay, today evening I placed my phone on top of a furniture in bathroom for a few seconds and it felt down from there, facing display down to tiles of the floor... this time the whole display area (mostly two-third of low side) became cracked - I mean the top glass, otherwise it is fully functional but I feel the cracks with my fingers and display looks ugly having cracks above.

So I have to replace it again in the weekend four days after I replaced it to a nearly perfect display and glued it well...

I feel the last two days are not my lucky days - I feel I may used all my phone drops for the next decade (or just used all remaining from previous decade)... 🙂

Anyway, I wrote this message using my Pro1 I was speaking about. 🙂

Back to the subject, displays can be found at Aliexpress are usually not perfect, mostly one or two corners have a smaller or bigger black part... however, its colour temperature is usually a bit better than original Pro1's display.
However, replacing it on display assembly may not worth the effort if it works well.

• Thanks 1
On 10/27/2022 at 1:55 AM, EskeRahn said:

There are many functions where the unit or its controller could be somewhat different: Camera, speaker, proximity sensor, ambient light sensor, hall sensor (for lid closed)...

I guess you might be right. I was firmly assuming they had kept that unit identical to keep development cost low. But then, the different SoC on the other side may have dictated some modifications ... Retrospectively, I consider myself lucky not to have damaged anything with my bold move two days ago 😆.

For those owning both a Pro1 and a Pro1X it would be good to know for sure, though.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

I guess you might be right. I was firmly assuming they had kept that unit identical to keep development cost low.

Or they had to choose another device because of actual availability or better long-term availability.

The cause of the symptom above may not necessarily hardware issue but a problem with a kernel component which did not reveal while testing for Pro1 as it had different hardware.
Also it may happen for Pro1 display to work on Pro1X also if it does not work the other way as a result of such problem.

Edited by VaZso
  • Thanks 1
On 8/12/2022 at 3:37 PM, Hook said:

I believe we do know the screen assembly is the same

Yes, the screen is the same, however I think there's some sw/hw compatibility issue with the Pro1 screen on the Pro1-X body. The selfie camera does not work and it force quits the camera app, and touch screen is not alway responsive. Not sure what the reason this is as the screen itself is the same model 🙂

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yes, the screen is the same, however I think there's some sw/hw compatibility issue with the Pro1 screen on the Pro1-X body.

Interesting. Just to be sure: When you say "screen" do you mean the entire top unit (detachable by 5 screws from the mechanism) or just the display (as available from e.g. Aliexpress) that is glued to the rest of the top unit?

As reported above, I tried operating the Pro1X top unit on the Pro1. The display and digitizer seemed to work fine in recovery, but the Pro1 wouldn't boot into the full OS.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

When you say "screen" do you mean the entire top unit (detachable by 5 screws from the mechanism)

Yes, I mean the detachable screen itself, not the entire upper housing. All I did was connect the flat ribbon cable of the Pro1-X upper housing to the detachable Pro1 screen. We have spare Pro1-X screens in the warehouse which will be shipped to us once everything resumes, but we do have Pro1 screens and other spare parts in stock in our office if anyone is looking for a replacement etc.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Casey said:

Yes, I mean the detachable screen itself, not the entire upper housing.

Sorry, I'm getting confused.

I thought the replacement "screen" you ship as spare part includes the upper housing. I.e. replacment using your part does not involve glueing?

So are you saying the top assemblys of Pro1 and Pro1X were already known to be different parts, and in addition you found out that even the screens themselves are incompatible?

Wouldn't this mean that also the Elephone U/U Pro screens from Aliexpress people have successfully used for repairing their Pro1s would no longer work with the Pro1X?

2 hours ago, claude0001 said:

I thought the replacement "screen" you ship as spare part includes the upper housing. I.e. replacment using your part does not involve glueing?

You're right, our replacement parts for Pro1-X is the entire upper housing. But if you just want to change the screen, providing a detachable screen is enough. Changing the entire upper housing can be quite tricky as you'll be wiggling the hinges apart which may cause it to snap if not careful. We don't normally change the upper housing anyways (even with the Pro1) as there's no electrical components there (unless you somehow drop and break it).

.e. replacment using your part does not involve glueing?

Replacing either the entire upper housing or just the detachable screen does not involve glueing, if that's what you're asking.

Wouldn't this mean that also the Elephone U/U Pro screens from Aliexpress people have successfully used for repairing their Pro1s would no longer work with the Pro1X?

Correct. You won't be able to use this with the Pro1-X. We have enough spare parts in stock already for customer service so it shouldn't be an issue if anyone wants their phone looked at.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2
55 minutes ago, Casey said:

You're right, our replacement parts for Pro1-X is the entire upper housing. But if you just want to change the screen, providing a detachable screen is enough. Changing the entire upper housing can be quite tricky as you'll be wiggling the hinges apart which may cause it to snap if not careful. We don't normally change the upper housing anyways (even with the Pro1) as there's no electrical components there (unless you somehow drop and break it).

I think we are having a terminological mix-up here.  There are three possible elements being talked about here.  There is the display itself.  There is the frame for the display.  And there is the upper housing.  What @claude0001 is talking about, I think,  is the frame.  The frame is what separates out when you undo the 5 screws and disconnect the ribbon cable.  I've always presumed that is what you sell as a replacement.  It involves no gluing as the display is already set in the frame, but it also doesn't involve the hinges as they connect with the backplate which does not come off when you undo the 5 screws and disconnect the ribbon. 

Am I correct in my attempt to clarify?

Edited by Hook
  • Thanks 3
15 minutes ago, Hook said:

What @claude0001 is talking about, I think,  is the frame.  The frame is what separates out when you undo the 5 screws and disconnect the ribbon cable. 

Exactly, that's what I mean and what I tried to swap among my Pro1 and Pro1X.

I also thought that was the unit you can obtain from f(x)tec as "replacement screen".

Thanks for clarifying.

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1

@Hook @claude0001

Indeed there's a mix-up (on my part). I was misled by what was considered "upper-housing". You guys are right. We only offer the "frame" for replacement/for sale (the detachable screen itself after unscrewing the 5 bolts). This can be easily replaced by any user and requires no glueing etc. 

• Thanks 5
  • 3 months later...

I have a different twist on this question; is it possible to use a Pro1 frame on a Pro1x?  I've cracked my Pro1 screen (again), and need to swap it out with a replacement (good thing I bought two), but I don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling the stock firmware to reset the screen's dead zones.  I have a Pro1x lying idle, I'm thinking maybe I can connect the Pro1 screen to it and reinstall stock on that.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Noob said:

I have a different twist on this question; is it possible to use a Pro1 frame on a Pro1x?  I've cracked my Pro1 screen (again), and need to swap it out with a replacement (good thing I bought two), but I don't want to go through the hassle of reinstalling the stock firmware to reset the screen's dead zones.  I have a Pro1x lying idle, I'm thinking maybe I can connect the Pro1 screen to it and reinstall stock on that.

That is an interesting question. We know that the lower half is different, but the upper part might be mechanically identical.