Pro1x + LineageOS Readiness

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LineageOS is a group project, and support for the Pro1-X wouldn't have been possible without Georg Veichtlbauer and@npjohnson's efforts. And of course we built upon @tdm's work on the Pro1 as well.

There's finally a build of LOS that works and I got myself a test build with it. It's still too early and barely works enough for the hardware but it's a great light at the end of the tunnel for Linea

FYI:  https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/lineageos-20-for-pro1-x.4543997/  

Posted Images

I've installed the 20230120 image on my device, and so far everything is going nicely.  No (new) problems to report.  However, as anticipated, early indications are that this build does not improve the LTE situation, so I will continue to keep my device locked at 3G.

• Thanks 2
10 hours ago, MrPib said:

The last time I used ADB, I was installing xdandroid on my HTC Touch Pro 2.  So it's been a while.

Anyone have any tips on getting ADB to talk to a Pro1-X on Windows 10?

I tried everything here:  https://www.xda-developers.com/install-adb-windows-macos-linux/

Thanks!

It would probably help if you detailed where you got stuck.  Windows is fussy with this, particularly which ports work or which cords work.  Often people do better on Windows with USB2 ports (I used a hub for that).  Although my main computer is windows I have Majaro Linux on an old Thinkpad and it just works.  Fastboot and ADB were already set up in the default install,  I now do all my flashing of Lineage there.

However, I only have a Pro 1.  I don't have my Pro1x yet.

57 minutes ago, Hook said:

It would probably help if you detailed where you got stuck.  Windows is fussy with this, particularly which ports work or which cords work.  Often people do better on Windows with USB2 ports (I used a hub for that).  Although my main computer is windows I have Majaro Linux on an old Thinkpad and it just works.  Fastboot and ADB were already set up in the default install,  I now do all my flashing of Lineage there.

Thanks for replying!   Windows sees the phone, and it shows up under device manager.  Phone had USB Debugging on and USB set to FIle Transfer.   Issue is that ADB doesn't see the phone.  Also tried adb under the Windows Linux Subsystem. 

Good suggestion using a USB2 hub -- I know I have one somewhere. 

Thanks!

11 minutes ago, MrPib said:

Thanks for replying!   Windows sees the phone, and it shows up under device manager.  Phone had USB Debugging on and USB set to FIle Transfer.   Issue is that ADB doesn't see the phone.  Also tried adb under the Windows Linux Subsystem. 

Good suggestion using a USB2 hub -- I know I have one somewhere. 

Thanks!

Don't set USB to file transfer.  All you need is debugging on.  Leave it on charge only.

48 minutes ago, suicidal_orange said:

And finally there's a donation button - the devs are real 😃

Not clicking it until someone tests it though, I would but still waiting...

Donate link worked fine for me using Pay Pal.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Hook said:
1 hour ago, suicidal_orange said:

And finally there's a donation button - the devs are real 😃

Not clicking it until someone tests it though, I would but still waiting...

Donate link worked fine for me using Pay Pal.

Where is it? 🙂 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Hook said:

Don't set USB to file transfer.  All you need is debugging on.  Leave it on charge only.

Thanks, but didn't help.

Just dawned on me that I have a Pi4 sitting on my desk (running HomeAssistant and a Plex server).  Works great from that!

EDIT:  Lineage 20 install worked perfectly!  Thanks to everyone that helped.

Edited by MrPib
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, suicidal_orange said:

I'm sure the donation link works great, but does the work the donation is rewarding?  Ducksoup and MrPib have installed it so that's a good start...

As have others on Discord.  Sean says it's "moderately stable" which is good enough for me.  Probably not that different than the first unofficial test versions of Lineage 16 we got from TDM for the Pro1, and those were rock solid.  As soon as I have a Pro1x, I'll be installing it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, suicidal_orange said:

Ducksoup and MrPib have installed it so that's a good start...

Me too. Installation was smooth using the instructions linked above. Seems stable (i.e. no crashes)up to now, but I haven't played much with it yet (Pro1-X is not my daily).

LTE/GSM connectivity is just as bad as in stock -- as was to be expected. On the positive side, WiFi scanning again works correctly after 2.1.5-GMSless had somehow broken that for me.

• Thanks 1

Update: Just flashed the new ROM dated 20230124 via sideload smoothly.

Level-3 keyboard modifier ("yellow arrow") keys now work correctly, with more keyboard options to come according to the XDA thread. Awesome!

I also successfully rooted using Magisk. Yay!

On the downside, I find that lineage-20.0 seems to no longer provide an OpenSSH-server :classic_ohmy:. I think I will need that to re-implement the full functionality of my GNU/Linux-chroot setup on Pro1/lineage-16.0. I see there are Magisk modules providing sshd nowadays ... probably will have to get into that ... 

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1

@Sean McCreary: I was under the impression that several of the "yellow" modifier keys did not work correctly in the 20230120 rom. I have a QWERTY Prawn-X. I did not try to study the problem in depth tbh. Since installation of the new build it just works ...

Edited by claude0001
1 minute ago, claude0001 said:

@Sean McCreary: I was under the impression that several of the "yellow" modifier keys did not work correctly in the 20230120 rom. I have a QWERTY Prawn-X. I did not try to study the problem in depth tbh. Since installation of the new build it just works ...

Some of the modifier keys are mapped a little differently from stock, but the driver is still the same one as F(x)tec ships. The most important differences are the 'F logo' key is mapped to META, and the SYM key is mapped to AltGr (ralt). The old behavior of the 'F logo' key (KEY_HOMEPAGE) has consequently moved to 'F logo' + ENTER, but you can now use any of the other keyboard shortcuts built into Android. This list is contextual, and 'F logo' + '/' will bring up the list of shortcuts defined by the current app. FWIW, this is the same mapping as LineageOS uses on the Pro1.

Among other minor changes, SHIFT + number will now generate the keycode most people expect, instead of nothing at all. That duplicates what the yellow arrow keys do, but I feel it is more natural. We have also deferred QWERTZ/AZERTY/Scandic support until we move to tdm's keyboard driver, which will add the interface to remap any of the keys to whatever you prefer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

@Sean McCreary : Thanks for that background info. Do not get me wrong though: I understand that this is beta software, and am fine with all the limitations that implies.

I expected you would, sooner or later, move to the Pro1 (aka. tdm) keyboard driver anyway. Hence, I thought it would not be worthwhile to file a bug against the present state of things.

Coming back to my above point: Is the missing sshd intrinsic to lineage-20.0, or could you choose to include it in the builds? 

Edited by claude0001
1 hour ago, claude0001 said:

Is the missing sshd intrinsic to lineage-20.0, or could you choose to include it in the builds? 

sshd is present in /product/bin, with sshd_config in /product/etc/ssh. I don't use this myself, but 

adb root && adb shell /product/bin/sshd -dddDf /product/etc/ssh/sshd_config

doesn't behave the way I would expect. Did this work in 19.1?

A quick check of old versions suggests this doesn't work in 19.1 or 18.1 either, so it may have been broken for a couple of years 😞 Since this isn't specific to the beta test you might open a bug report, following the instructions here:

https://wiki.lineageos.org/how-to/bugreport

Edited by Sean McCreary
Add additional info
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Sean McCreary said:

Did this work in 19.1

No idea. I am coming directly from lineage-16.0.

But you are right, according to user reports on the net, 18.1 seems to have broken the built-in sshd. This has nothing to do with the Pro1-X.

• Thanks 1
On 1/24/2023 at 2:41 PM, claude0001 said:

Until we are using tdm's driver, there will be undesirable interactions between the F(x)tec's custom keymap and the keyboard language selection in Android. Have you selected a language and layout as directed by the persistent notification to "Configure physical keyboard"?

Don't do that. 😜

• Haha 3
  • Hook locked this topic